Sunderland...

Heron

Is that really your new away shirt? The watermark looks boss.

You're not Spanish at all are you? You're some imposter from Birkenhead.

Actually I wrote "awesome" first and then realized it sounded too yank and tried to come up with something more British  :lol:

Unrelated but i asked this while game was on and got no response, what do Spanish fans shout when a shot goes close - is it just "Oooooee"?

¡Uuuuuuuuuuuuy!

"oooooeee" or "ooooleeee" is when you pass the ball around the players of the other side when you're up, we call that the "rondo" since you are dancing around them. It's actually a common game to play with a football when you're a kid in Spain.

Was just the noise i was going off. Does "¡Uuuuuuuuuuuuy!" mean anything or just a noise, as in they didn't do it in the game i went to in South America.

It's a common Spanish interjection when something comes close. I don't know, if you slip on the floor but avoid falling, somebody accompanying you would say that.

@madras: yeah, it has the same origin in Spanish (since the moorish occupation). It's meant as a praise of what you're seeing, and I guess moors would praise Allah or somesuch when watching a good spectacle.

Actually I wrote "awesome" first and then realized it sounded too yank and tried to come up with something more British  :lol:

Unrelated but i asked this while game was on and got no response, what do Spanish fans shout when a shot goes close - is it just "Oooooee"?

¡Uuuuuuuuuuuuy!

"oooooeee" or "ooooleeee" is when you pass the ball around the players of the other side when you're up, we call that the "rondo" since you are dancing around them. It's actually a common game to play with a football when you're a kid in Spain.

Was just the noise i was going off. Does "¡Uuuuuuuuuuuuy!" mean anything or just a noise, as in they didn't do it in the game i went to in South America.

aye over in S.America they just go mental when a goal is scored, with the whole crowd running down to the bottom of the stands and leap onto the fences and go mad. The atmosphere in the Premier League is so over rated and certainly not the best in the world that so many are led to believe.

¡Uuuuuuuuuuuuy!

aye over in S.America they just go mental when a goal is scored, with the whole crowd running down to the bottom of the stands and leap onto the fences and go mad. The atmosphere in the Premier League is so over rated and certainly not the best in the world that so many are led to believe.

Love it how the band come in with all the hardcore just before kick off and everyone goes nuts n all. Really different to what we get over here, just constant noise.

Getting wound up about that team of the season on SMB like.  Awesome read.  Most of them don't understand that it's a team based on how effective each player has been in their respective leagues.  Fucking dribbling messes.

The reaction to anything about us on smb is simply put- fucking hilarious.

They were going on about them getting Joe Cole a few weeks ago  :doh:

I still think giving the option, players like the ones mentioned in that thread (esp Carrick being a Newcastle lad) would prefer Newcastle now we're back in the prem.

¡Uuuuuuuuuuuuy!

ohhhhhh. we say "ole" for that. (which is actually derived from the moorsih for 'allah')

This claim for the etymology of ole (bravo) from Allaah (Allah, God) crops up a lot. It has a certain charm to it and draws on our fascination with the kingdom of Al-Andalus and the fusion of Muslim, Jewish and Christian cultures that thrived in the Iberian peninsula from the 8th century until the expulsion of Jewish and Islamic people and religious cultures in Spain in the 16th and early 17th centuries.

Unfortunately it has been discredited, mainly on the basis of the lack of evidence and the unlikely phonological shifts necessary to go from the low final vowel sound of Allaah to the high of ole. For the best and most knowledgeable treatment, see the late Alan S. Kaye (2005) ‘Two Alleged Arabic Etymologies’, Journal of Near Eastern Studies 64:2 (subscription required). The historical record is not in favour of the Allaah etymology either. Spanish ole is not recorded before 1541, long after the Reconquista. The revised entry in OED Online (2003) suggests ole may derive from hola/ola (the greeting) but is cautious even on this.

Interestingly, there are lots of exclamations of greeting, surprise or despair in both romance and Germanic languages that have a vowel-’l'-vowel pattern of some sort - compare alas, hela, weyla, hola, hail, heil hello (and its earlier variants, including hallo and hullo), holla, etc. (Note: not French voilà, which is from vois la - ‘look there’.) As the OED implies, these probably all developed around each other to a certain extent.

http://alexsteer.net/posts/2009/11/ole-allah-and-all/

Guest Antec

This is a club who hasn't finished top half for nearly a decade, top 6 since before the vast majority of us were born, and they're talking about Carrick and the like. And they call us deluded? :lol:

Not hard to see where they get it from

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/simon-bird/In-three-years-we-will-be-Competing-in-Europe-and-fans-clamouring-for-me-to-increase-the-capacity-Niall-Quinn-on-bright-Sunderland-future-The-Simon-Bird-Column-article413971.html

Guest Heneage

The SMB has a fantastic imagination. They just seem to conjure up quotes and statements made by our fans. The Kieron Richardson thread is a good read if not only for the crazy statements.

Guest Heneage

The lad talking about him becoming England's left back if he stays at Sunderland has to be taking the piss. :lol:

First name on our teamsheet if he joins. :lol:

Guest neesy111

The lad talking about him becoming England's left back if he stays at Sunderland has to be taking the piss. :lol:

poor man's enrqiue