Sunderland...

Heron

I would have O'Shea at right back ahead of Simpson like, without a doubt.

Careful lad, posts like this won't go down well on here. Wes Brown would also comfortably walk...

straight onto our bench.  Considering that we have a better player in Colo' and a younger physical defender in Taylor who is in the form of his life and makes up for Colo's small inadequacies.  Brown would make a great reserve for us.

I'd have them both here in a flash. Brown is pure quality. He could have become one of the great England CBs, but injuries made it impossible for him to fulfill his potential. He's still a very good defender.

O'Shea is alright. Tons of experience, and a decent player allround.

I wouldn't sign either of them on long term deals, like Sunderland did, mind.

This is the thing with most the mackems I know - I'm generally happy, amongst the p*ss-taking and ribbing of each others clubs, to admit when Sunderland get a good result or make a good signing. The Sunderland fans simply refuse to do this, everything that goes on at NUFC is moved around in their funny warped minds to be some sort of injustice or negative. One fan I spoke to after the opening day of the season (having seen both teams play) argued that a draw at Anfield was a brilliant result from a brilliant performance and yet a draw at home to Arsenal was a s*** result from a s***/lucky NUFC performance.

So yes - I'd have O'Shea, or Brown when fit, to play right-back instead of Danny Simpson. Having said that, I'd also play the bottle of Morrisons fizzy water on my desk at present ahead of Simpson.

That works two ways though, I could count on one hand how many posters on here have gave Sunderland credit for signing very good players like O'Shea and Brown, I'm not bothered what anyone says those two are very decent footballers and all you get on here is people mocking them, refusing to admit that they are decent.

At last, something to add to a discussion. I think people on here generally accept that they are decent players, but the problem is that they aren't getting any younger, and if im not mistaken they are on long contracts with massive wages. We went down that route for about 4 or 5 years and it ended with relegation. Not saying you'll get relegated but I think it's fair to question your transfer policy based on the signings of those two.

Last season our squad was the youngest in the PL and it showed in certain games and towards the end of the season when we fell apart and I'd say 90% of fans realised we needed a few experienced heads and not just kids. Yes, they are on big wages but if the start that Brown has made is anything to go by then it will be money well spent, he wasn't injured at all last season, he just couldn't get in the Man Utd team. O'Shea has only started 2 games but we have kept 2 clean sheets in 2 games in the games he has played so again a good signing, only 30, got years ahead of him yet and defenders regularly play in the top flight well into their 30's.

Fair point, I guess we'll see as the season progresses whether they are good buys or not. As someone above says, they could be a Phil Neville and turn out to be very good players for you, or they could be an Alan Smith (!). It's hard to tell with players bought from Man Utd, sometimes playing for them makes them look better than they actually are. From my memory Alan Smith started off ok with us, so I'd still be wary about Brown, despite him making a good start. Also, if O'Shea is going to play at full back then he wouldn't have many years left. Full backs generally don't play for as long as centre backs (taking aside the obvious ones like Maldini and Cafu who were just incredible players with incredible levels of fitness). From what you've seen do you think O'Shea could be a good centre back for you, as he'd probably prolong his career playing there?

Really not fussed about finishing higher than them or them doing so for the last 3 seasons.  Would only be super happy if we nipped into a European place.  Then there'd be an actual reason to brag.

What's the highest finish they managed in their 3 seasons of DOMINANCE?

This is the thing with most the mackems I know - I'm generally happy, amongst the p*ss-taking and ribbing of each others clubs, to admit when Sunderland get a good result or make a good signing. The Sunderland fans simply refuse to do this, everything that goes on at NUFC is moved around in their funny warped minds to be some sort of injustice or negative. One fan I spoke to after the opening day of the season (having seen both teams play) argued that a draw at Anfield was a brilliant result from a brilliant performance and yet a draw at home to Arsenal was a s*** result from a s***/lucky NUFC performance.

So yes - I'd have O'Shea, or Brown when fit, to play right-back instead of Danny Simpson. Having said that, I'd also play the bottle of Morrisons fizzy water on my desk at present ahead of Simpson.

That works two ways though, I could count on one hand how many posters on here have gave Sunderland credit for signing very good players like O'Shea and Brown, I'm not bothered what anyone says those two are very decent footballers and all you get on here is people mocking them, refusing to admit that they are decent.

At last, something to add to a discussion. I think people on here generally accept that they are decent players, but the problem is that they aren't getting any younger, and if im not mistaken they are on long contracts with massive wages. We went down that route for about 4 or 5 years and it ended with relegation. Not saying you'll get relegated but I think it's fair to question your transfer policy based on the signings of those two.

Last season our squad was the youngest in the PL and it showed in certain games and towards the end of the season when we fell apart and I'd say 90% of fans realised we needed a few experienced heads and not just kids. Yes, they are on big wages but if the start that Brown has made is anything to go by then it will be money well spent, he wasn't injured at all last season, he just couldn't get in the Man Utd team. O'Shea has only started 2 games but we have kept 2 clean sheets in 2 games in the games he has played so again a good signing, only 30, got years ahead of him yet and defenders regularly play in the top flight well into their 30's.

Cool Story bro. And congratulations, you've got 5 points!

This is the thing with most the mackems I know - I'm generally happy, amongst the piss-taking and ribbing of each others clubs, to admit when Sunderland get a good result or make a good signing. The Sunderland fans simply refuse to do this, everything that goes on at NUFC is moved around in their funny warped minds to be some sort of injustice or negative. One fan I spoke to after the opening day of the season (having seen both teams play) argued that a draw at Anfield was a brilliant result from a brilliant performance and yet a draw at home to Arsenal was a shit result from a shit/lucky NUFC performance.

The general consensus on here is actually that O'Shea is a pretty good addition, and that Brown is a good defender with a terrible injury record. The mocking about Brown is rather that Bruce is a fucking mug for signing him up for four years with his injury record/wages/whatever and the fact he'll be pushing 35 when his contract expires.

Guest johnson293

Really not fussed about finishing higher than them or them doing so for the last 3 seasons.  Would only be super happy if we nipped into a European place.  Then there'd be an actual reason to brag.

What's the highest finish they managed in their 3 seasons of DOMINANCE?

10th last season.

Previous two years were 16th in 2008-09, and 13th in 2009-10.

I don't think anyone questions the ability or pedigree of O'Shea and Brown, it's been more about the wages and length of contracts such injury prone aging players have been given. 

Insane I reckon but there again Brucie knows best and they are old mates of his.

why are people even debating issues with Wearside his credibilty must be near zero :lol:

He hooks people in with a fair debate from time to time, like his points about O'Shea and Brown above. It's like domestic abuse. He continues to trick people into thinking he can change, but still reverts to form somewhere down the line.

why are people even debating issues with Wearside his credibilty must be near zero :lol:

He hooks people in with a fair debate from time to time, like his points about O'Shea and Brown above. It's like domestic abuse. He continues to trick people into thinking he can change, but still reverts to form somewhere down the line.

its near Derbys he goes on a bender and runs off with all sorts of shit, then looks fucking stupid when he sobers up.

its near Derbys he goes on a bender and runs off with all sorts of shit, then looks fucking stupid when he sobers up.

Feels a lot more frequent than just the derbies, like. :lol: