Sunderland...

Heron

Watched a bit of Sunderland this season, just a couple of thoughts on some of their players:

Simon Mignolet - There's a good young keeper in there somewhere but he's clearly lacking confidence at the moment.  A good shot stopper for the most part but that's the easiest part of the game, his kciking and positioning are major concerns at the moment.

Wes Brown It's strange because my mackem mates rate him yet I don't. Very clumsy and tends to give a way numerous needless freekicks around the area. Solid for the most part but tends to switch off resulting careless errors.

Craig Gardner - So so average. Average passing range, limited ability, doesn't impose himself on games.

David Vaughn - Looks decent to me. Nothing spectacular but keeps things ticking over nicely and rarely gives away the ball. Decent buisness on a free.

Seb Larsson - Pretty much what I suspected. No pace, can't beat a man but can still strike a ball. Very good delivery if given time and space.

'Elmo' - Crap, a one trick pony who usually attempts to boot the ball miles in front of him and attempts to out pace the full back. If it works his delivery is hit and miss to say the very least.

Stephen Sessagnon -  All fart and no s***. The lad clearly has ability and always looks a threat. However when it comes to producing the killer ball/finish he flatters to deceive.

Nicklas Bendtner - Feel a bit sorry for him, links up well generally but he constantly has to drop deep to recieve the ball completely nullifying his superior attributes.

I wouldn't take one of their players for our first XI, and I honestly mean that.

Cracks me the fuck up that I'd only take O'Shea to take a full back spot right now, yet it'd still be our weakest position that needs replacing. :lol:

Not sure I'd even stretch to that, Simpson's no world beater but O'Shea looks painfully slow.

What I would genuinely worry about if I was a mackem was that two of their most heralded signings at the back have come from Man Utd and are both over 30. They do have quality still but they're only going one way. Possibly even more important than that though is that during all those years at one of the best clubs in the world, they've won the lot. Sure they'll have professional pride and at the moment want to prove that they can still cut it - albeit at a lower calibre club - but deep down, do they really give a fuck if Sunderland are poor?

Likewise their number one striker, who's on loan and has a massive ego by all accounts. Even if he does nd up being a success, surely he'll believe he can get a better move?

For all the fair criticism of our transfer policy, one thing I am definitely in agreement with which I have said before is not using loans to fill key positions. It's a very small time way to put a team together. We used the loan system perfectly in the Championship season, when Hughton brought in several players as short term cover and/or to give us a bit of experience of the division (Harewood, van Aanholt, Fitz Hall).

With all the money Bruce has had, to keep building a team around loans is absolutely fucking stupid.

Unless it's a loan with a view to buy ala Ben Arfa, then I agree.

Bruce's post-match email:

It was obviously a frustrating night for us, I have to say.

If there's one thing I like to pride myself on, its my teams being well organised defensively. So obviously it was disappointing to give two bad goals away.

On another night, we might have got the first goal and then its a totally different game. But once we went two down, it was always going to be hard to get back into it.

Then Kieran gets a great goal, thats what he is capable of. When you look at him doing things like that, theres no reason why he cant go on to be England's left back. We might even have nicked a point, and that would have been a decent result, but in the end we just fell short. We left it late to get the goal, thats for sure.

If theres one thing I cant hold against the lads, its their workrate. But at the moment we are still trying to gel, which was always going to be the case with so many new signings. It was always going to take more than 6 games to achieve that. We just need to have the character to deal with the pressure and expectation that goes with playing for this football club.

:yikes:  :spit: :idiot2:

I know we all crack the fuck up at these emails, and rightly so. But are mackems not worried at the fact the first thing on their manager's mind after a defeat is to jump on his computer and write a letter, rather than have an extended word with his team? That's a ridiculously quick email after a match imo.

If there's one thing I like to pride myself on, its my teams being well organised defensively. So obviously it was disappointing to give two bad goals away.

On another night, we might have got the first goal and then its a totally different game. But once we went two down, it was always going to be hard to get back into it.

Then Kieran gets a great goal, thats what he is capable of. When you look at him doing things like that, theres no reason why he cant go on to be England's left back. We might even have nicked a point, and that would have been a decent result, but in the end we just fell short. We left it late to get the goal, thats for sure.

If theres one thing I cant hold against the lads, its their workrate. But at the moment we are still trying to gel, which was always going to be the case with so many new signings. It was always going to take more than 6 games to achieve that. We just need to have the character to deal with the pressure and expectation that goes with playing for this football club.

:lol: Fucking hell, I'm pissed off reading the same old shite from him, God knows how the mackems must feel.

We seem to have gelled OK.  :troll:

Watched a bit of Sunderland this season, just a couple of thoughts on some of their players:

Simon Mignolet - There's a good young keeper in there somewhere but he's clearly lacking confidence at the moment.  A good shot stopper for the most part but that's the easiest part of the game, his kciking and positioning are major concerns at the moment.

Wes Brown It's strange because my mackem mates rate him yet I don't. Very clumsy and tends to give a way numerous needless freekicks around the area. Solid for the most part but tends to switch off resulting careless errors.

Craig Gardner - So so average. Average passing range, limited ability, doesn't impose himself on games.

David Vaughn - Looks decent to me. Nothing spectacular but keeps things ticking over nicely and rarely gives away the ball. Decent buisness on a free.

Seb Larsson - Pretty much what I suspected. No pace, can't beat a man but can still strike a ball. Very good delivery if given time and space.

'Elmo' Crap, a one trick pony who usually attempts to boot the ball miles in front of him and attempts to out pace the full back. If it works his delivery is hit and miss to say the very least.

Stephen Sessagnon -  All fart and no s***. The lad clearly has ability and always looks a threat. However when it comes to producing the killer ball/finish he flatters to deceive.

Nicklas Bendtner - Feel a bit sorry for him, links up well generally but he constantly has to drop deep to recieve the ball completely nullifying his superior attributes.

That's always been Sessegnon, some nifty foot work but that's it, he was like that at PSG, not producing the goods enough but still 'looked' good. He's already 27, if he'd added some more efficiency to his game then he'd be at a far better club than Sunderland.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Bruce loves Elmo, like. Been awful pretty much every time I've seen him play. Isn't he supposed to be good in the air or something and someone for Mignolet to aim his goalkicks at? :lol:

For me Sunderland are reaching one of those moments where supporters just can't see where the club goes from here. We've seen it under Roeder and Souness, players basically just going through the motions and not giving their all. Bruce was highly fortunate to survive last season and the Short/Quinn combo has boobed not only by giving him quite a lot of cash to spend (yes they sold big with Bent and Henderson) but allowing him to spend it on mediocrity. Vaughan, Gardner, O'Shea- players who were never likely to really improve their side to any great extent. How much was spunked on that trio alone?

His transfer buys were Bruce's last roll of the dice and he's come up short. Essentially not a particularly great manager with a poor record in the transfer market. Bruce like Roy Keane has chosen quantity over quality and he's ended up with one of the dullest squads in the league.

that email isn't f***ing real is it?!  :lol:

Is it f***. :lol:

Can't believe people think Bruce was composing it on an iPad on the bench ready to hit send on a shitload of BCCs.

aye I didn't believe it.  It won't come out until tomorrow.

Was it someone on here that said Bruce's idea is always to assemble a team, then totally dismantle it when it doesn't work, rather than tweak the odd thing?  If so, its totally spot on.