NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Favourites to sign Ireland according to Sky.

Good player somewhere in there but make sure nobody looks at him funny / laughs at his car / wears after shave he doesn't like, or he'll go into a massive sulk and be of no use whatsoever.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Good player somewhere in there but make sure nobody looks at him funny / laughs at his car / wears after shave he doesn't like, or he'll go into a massive sulk and be of no use whatsoever.

:thup:

That's my concern over all of this. People are saying he's a good player, that was 2 seasons ago, and even then he faked his Granny's death to avoid an international game! Someone at the club really needs to sit down with him and work out if this guy wants to be a footballer. Sure, he'll say all the right things, but someone has to make the judgement call. Paying his wages, a signing on fee, and then watch him collect it for the next 2 years would be a piss take.

Also, how will that affect the rest of the squad's mood? Hughton removed as much dead weight as he could and the prospect of adding someone who doesn't want to fight to the squad is worrying.

Nothing to back up that Ireland is this type of player, just the attitude I assume he has from over the last 2 years. Wasn't there an issue with him leaving City due to him wanting more money?

Some Ireland stats.

Season 2008/2009

52 starts - 17 goals - 13 assists - Citys player of the year, Greater Manchester player of the year.

2009/2010

24 starts - 4 goals - 4 assists

According to my mate who's a City fan, Ireland was often played out of position but started most games (09/10) up until Hughes was sacked in December, then hardly started a game once Mancini took over.

Even though his goals and assists for 09/10 are well down on what he done the previous season it still on par with Bartons stats for us this season, his best for us by far since joining. 21 starts - 3 goals - 6 assists.

He's obviously having a shitter at Villa but surely he's worth a punt on loan.

Loan would definitely be the best option if we were to sign him. I'm not sure where he'd play though really, I wouldn't drop Barton, Nolan or Tiote for him and he isn't a LM. Perhaps as a drop off striker but we tend to play better with 2 up top really.

Guest palnese

Barton Nolan Tiote Jonas

Ireland

Carroll

Until Hatem's back when he'd slot in, in place of Jonas.

I think that's a bit narrow. Ben Arfa is likely to drift inside, as is Barton, which means that Simpson and Enrique will have to operate as flanks as well.

Barton Nolan Tiote Jonas

Ireland

Carroll

Until Hatem's back when he'd slot in, in place of Jonas.

I think that's a bit narrow. Ben Arfa is likely to drift inside, as is Barton, which means that Simpson and Enrique will have to operate as flanks as well.

We could always go:

Barton Tiote

Jonas Ireland BenArfa

Carroll

would be harsh to drop Nolan though.

Also that midfield 4 is what we're currently playing now anyway and it's doing fine.

That's my concern over all of this. People are saying he's a good player, that was 2 seasons ago, and even then he faked his Granny's death to avoid an international game! Someone at the club really needs to sit down with him and work out if this guy wants to be a footballer. Sure, he'll say all the right things, but someone has to make the judgement call. Paying his wages, a signing on fee, and then watch him collect it for the next 2 years would be a piss take.

Also, how will that affect the rest of the squad's mood? Hughton removed as much dead weight as he could and the prospect of adding someone who doesn't want to fight to the squad is worrying.

Nothing to back up that Ireland is this type of player, just the attitude I assume he has from over the last 2 years. Wasn't there an issue with him leaving City due to him wanting more money?

tbf on the granny death faking thing there was a real understandable reason behind the stupidity of claiming his granny died

tbf on the granny death faking thing there was a real understandable reason behind the stupidity of claiming his granny died

Not wanting to play for Ireland?

:harry:

nah (though thats been the case since the incident) gf had a miscarriage and he panicked and came out with the first thing that sprang to mind that would allow him to leave though i'm sure staunton would have understood the situation had he been told what had happened

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

nah (though thats been the case since the incident) gf had a miscarriage and he panicked and came out with the first thing that sprang to mind that would allow him to leave though i'm sure staunton would have understood the situation had he been told what had happened

Ah, well, if that was the issue then I apologise.

Sorry man, just yanking your chain :lol:

strange that he wouldn't just tell the fucking truth in that case, still footballers ain't famed for their smarts are they?

i'm not going to dispute or defend ireland on the fact he's a headcase with an overly high opinion of his own self worth just clarifying that one incident, but despite it all theres a quality player in there if he can get his focus on the pitch

strange that he wouldn't just tell the fucking truth in that case, still footballers ain't famed for their smarts are they?

panic i'd say and people do odd things when they panic

Not strange at all - he's a sensitive soul (from all reports) and it's perfectly understandable that he might substitute one tragedy ( losing a grandparent) for an infinitely more personal tragedy ( losing an unborn child).

I reckon in the same situation I might tell a lie rather than letting people know the truth...