NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

I don't like the way the club is being run. I don't trust the manager or the owner or the bloke running the club. I'm not happy about the lack of investment in the playing staff, the lies that Pardew comes out with nor the reluctance to replace key players/positions. I don't like the fact that our best players want to leave because they have far more ambition than the club. I don't like the fact our team has been unable to play together pre-season for numerous admin f***-ups. I'm annoyed the club hasn't got a recognised LB on the books.

I'm not going to pretend I'm f***ing happy that my club is being run into the f***ing ground. We're a f***ing shambles on and off the park and that is 100% down to Ashley, Llambias and Pardew. If anyone is walking around with a smile on their face when thinking about the state of the club then there's something seriously wrong. It is what it is - a f***ing disgraceful state to be in. 

I wouldn't go that far (see bold) but at this moment in time I 100% agree with those other sentiments. Hopefully they'll have been remedied by 1st September and we can march on to a decent first half of the season.

We've got no LB at all to play, only 3 CB's and Ameobi and Lovenkrands are still getting a game. That represents failure in my opinion. We've had 8 months to scout players, we've had a £35m windfall to strengthen things and we're left in this position.

I hate being negative and would much prefer to be upbeat and bullish about things but I can't call it any other way. :thup:

Our average league finish since we finished 2nd in 1997 is 11th. In the 70s when people of my dad's generation raved about the likes of McFaul, Moncur, Clark, Green, McDonald, etc. as legends of the club, the average league finish was 14th, and even back in the glory days of the 50s when we were dominating the FA Cup, and had the likes of Milburn, Robledo, Harvey & Mitchell the average league position was 11th as well.

I know we're a "big club" and all that, but the two times we've done much better than the average is when we've thrown more money than normal at it. Shepherd tried keeping this going longer than we could sustain with that mental £50m and crazy wage year in 2005 and we've been paying for it ever since.

We're a mid-table side, like it or lump it, it's where we've been at our peak throughout the last 60 years, and it's where we are now even as it stands without having spent £35m of the Carroll cash. This "left in this position" thing I don't get at all. Sure it would be nice for us to spend £15-20m on a striker, and if we're sitting here at 2am on September 1st without a left-back and striker brought in, again I could respect it.

But I definitely think people have opinions above their stations of where this club should be tbh. I know we've got the 3rd/4th highest gates in the country etc, but if you look in Germany where Cologne have a similar sort of attendance to us, they've been a 11-13th placed team at best, in France PSG have the 3rd or 4th best attendances and it's taken a billionaire takeover to finally transform them from a mid-table side, Napoli have only just re-awoken in Italy, etc.

sure Koln, PSG and Napoli fans would be thinking the same as most of us tbh, but i bet there's a prick on their forums saying "look at Newcastle, 3rd biggest attendance in England and they got relegated. you lot have ideas above your station!"

And the day that our benchmark is comparing ourselves to an underachieving past is the day we've jacked it in and couldnt give a shit.

in my time following nufc i've seen us compete with the best twice. Yes we spent a bit, but on both occasions the primary catalyst wasn't money but getting in a genuinely top class manager, something the idiot that owns this club still hasn't grasped. in fact he once thought a scout, whose primary method of communicating targets was telling the boss to look on youtube, was more important than the man in the dugout. absolute clown.

And it goes without saying that we actually do have a bit of dosh atm. Arguing that we shouldnt spend it cos our "station" is mid-table, or worse, is frankly astonishing. though i dont expect much else from your posts these days.

That part was worded wrong I admit, but it's when people say we're underachieving when all we're doing is the same as what we've done all our history pretty much.

At what point do we accept that "underachieving" is merely a way of hiding behind the fact we're pretty average when we think about it?

I think if we spent the £35m right, we might guarantee 7th at best, even without that I can see us pushing 8th-10th. Is it really worth spending that just for that? I'd sooner us be in a position where we can finish top-half this year and then be in a position where next summer the likes of Gameiro & Gervinho do consider us a good option, and even better make us a more attractable option for people to buy the club.

That part was worded wrong I admit, but it's when people say we're underachieving when all we're doing is the same as what we've done all our history pretty much.

At what point do we accept that "underachieving" is merely a way of hiding behind the fact we're pretty average when we think about it?

I think if we spent the £35m right, we might guarantee 7th at best, even without that I can see us pushing 8th-10th. Is it really worth spending that just for that? I'd sooner us be in a position where we can finish top-half this year and then be in a position where next summer the likes of Gameiro & Gervinho do consider us a good option, and even better make us a more attractable option for people to buy the club.

Just because we might be achieving our historical average does not mean that we are not under achieving, it simply means that we have under achieved throughout the last 50 years. We've had a long history of chairman who have been exactly the same as Ashley (except they were actually Geordies), who were happy to embezzle the club for every penny they could get. Given the size of the gates and the income they have brought in we should have been far more successful than we have been. Just because we have a long history of being ripped off doesn't mean we should be content with our lot now

Difference is Ashley has lost a fortune, not made it, yes it was his fault for not checking the books properly but we'd have been royally f***ed had things stayed the same because no other fecker would have been daft enough to buy us in that state.

Anyway I've done this argument to death, main point is the once again over-the-top negative reaction to every tiny thing about the club.

Guest icemanblue

It's always 'next year'.

You're a good egg, Nut. But I think the bare minimum people want to see is us competing. Getting £35m, plus money from Nolan and Enrique, means we have an opportunity for once to do just that. Ashley's had a mountain of excuses made for him on this forum in the past, but this is one time when there's no get out clause. The money is there, why not have a go? At the bare minimum, you'd want us to bring in adequate replacements for those three, in terms of end product, character, quality and stature, but i don't think we've even attempted to do that. We have an opportunity to do so with Cissokho, which again should be the bare minimum requirement, and it seems we're baulking at paying for quality. Ideally, we'd be not just be doing that but seeing a significant improvement. Instead i reckon we'll go into the season worse off than it we've just kept the three mentioned players instead.

as for your suggestion of "keeping the powder dry" - tomorrow never comes, there'll always be the excuse of next year. secondly, there's no guarantee we'll be in a position to push on and get even better players at the end of next season, and thirdly, it's just a tad naive knowing what we do about the people in charge at this club.

It's always 'next year'.

Well, yeah. Because you cannot deny the fact that Ashley is trying to re-coup his losses. They will continue with this regime until NUFC can live on its own. Simple as that. I have no doubt in my mind that things will change in 2-3 years provided we actually avoid relegation in this period.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Money talks, bullshit walks.

Players like Gameiro,Gervinho, Erdinc, Peiters and their respective clubs just want a significant transfer fee & wage boost most of the time.

Whether you finish 7th or 17th is inconsequential to them.

Spot on colin.

This idea that posters like Nut and Ian, and others who defend the way the club is being run, are 'optimists' I find thoroughly bizarre.

Their attitude that we're never going to be better than we are so we should just accept it is completely at the other end of the scale from optimism. It's defeatism.

I'm just realistic about where the club is at the moment and that with the players we've got we're not going to do half as bad as a lot of people are making out.

I agree, im very happy with the player we have in and once we have a new left back and the right type of forward that will round of a good transfer window. Its just a shame we didnt have those 2 players in already.

We'll get beat on Saturday and Pardew won't last the season - bookmark this.

Why, will there be p*ss drinking involved?

Fetish or curiosity?

You not getting the joke.

I doubt it but you tell yourself that - go on, tell another funny about how miserable Dave is again these days.

Fetish or curiosity?

I doubt it but you tell yourself that - go on, tell another funny about how miserable Dave is again these days.

What? :lol: Where did you come from. Are you his wife or something?

I'm just realistic about where the club is at the moment and that with the players we've got we're not going to do half as bad as a lot of people are making out.

I think the issue most people have isn't that we're going to have a shit season, but more that we've started the season in desperate need of a striker and left back, which given the time and money we've had to prepare for this particular situation isn't really acceptable.

Fetish or curiosity?

:lol: :thup:

Fetish or curiosity?

What? :lol: Where did you come from. Are you his wife or something?

No, his paternal grandmother.

Fetish or curiosity?

Hi Minhosa, still hate all the dirty foreigners ruining the boards for "real" fans like you?

Fetish or curiosity?

Hi Minhosa, still hate all the dirty foreigners ruining the boards for "real" fans like you?

Mainly you Korea.