NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

@Neilfarrington Neil Farrington

Shameful treatment of Steve Harper considering his loyalty during the Given era. If he's not injured, say so. #nufc

49 seconds ago

Tend to agree with that, mind. I'm happy with Krul being #1 from now on, but Harper isn't half as bad as some on here make out.

From April

I keep getting linked with goalies but I’m not going to bring one in (this summer) – not a senior one anyway. Steve, Tim and Fraser (Forster) are all going to be vying for that jersey and Tim’s got an early opportunity to stake his claim. He did a good job in the first game.

:nope:

I don't think we have brought in a senior goalkeeper so that isn't really a contradiction.

So what is he then?

Depends how you define senior I suppose. Rob Green would be a senior for me. A 25 year old playing for Charlton not so much.

@Neilfarrington Neil Farrington

Shameful treatment of Steve Harper considering his loyalty during the Given era. If he's not injured, say so. #nufc

49 seconds ago

Tend to agree with that, mind. I'm happy with Krul being #1 from now on, but Harper isn't half as bad as some on here make out.

Be interesting to see what they have to say during the pre-match press conference as I think they might press Pardew on it with pretty much all the journos towing the same line re: this.

(Not that I'm against Harper being phased out but to me we had two perfectly good 'keepers in Krul and Forster to let this happen, not too mention Alnwick coming up through the ranks)

From April

I keep getting linked with goalies but I’m not going to bring one in (this summer) – not a senior one anyway. Steve, Tim and Fraser (Forster) are all going to be vying for that jersey and Tim’s got an early opportunity to stake his claim. He did a good job in the first game.

Parnocchio at it again. Someone should make a sticky of all of his shite.

From April

I don't think we have brought in a senior goalkeeper so that isn't really a contradiction.

So what is he then?

Depends how you define senior I suppose. Rob Green would be a senior for me. A 25 year old playing for Charlton not so much.

Senior means in the senior squad, Pardew never said we wouldn't be getting a GILPIG (Grandad I'd Like To Play In Goal).

Bit of an overreaction in here. Just because we've agreed a deal with a keeper doesn't mean they've said: "WOAH, hold back on the left back and the striker, this keeper's available, sign him up first!"... I think the club know where the priorities lie, it's just that this deal was probably an awful lot easier to complete, hence it's happened first.

Bit of an overreaction in here. Just because we've agreed a deal with a keeper doesn't mean they've said: "WOAH, hold back on the left back and the striker, this keeper's available, sign him up first!"... I think the club know where the priorities lie, it's just that this deal was probably an awful lot easier to complete, hence it's happened first.

And why was it easy to complete?

It's like being in the Matrix, there's a real world and a pink candy floss world where everything is going to be ok, we're being prudent and sensible and we'll suddenly spend cash on players we really need without fuss in the 14 days that are left of the window...the previous 8 months of failing to adequately plan? pah! everything is going to be fine man. I think I need to take the blue pill for a while because it sure beats reality.

True, it's not as if we've had six months to source and secure a new striker and left back.

From April

So what is he then?

Senior means in the senior squad, Pardew never said we wouldn't be getting a GILPIG (Grandad I'd Like To Play In Goal).

It tends to be flexible according to your slant IMO. When we sold Given as a 31 year old everyone was up in arms because as a GK he still had "years ahead of him". That makes Elliott a veritable babe in arms in comparison at 25.

And why was it easy to complete?

:lol: This.

It's like being in the Matrix, there's a real world and a pink candy floss world where everything is going to be ok, we're being prudent and sensible and we'll suddenly spend cash on players we really need without fuss in the 14 days that are left of the window...the previous 8 months of failing to adequately plan? pah! everything is going to be fine man. I think I need to take the blue pill for a while because it sure beats reality.

Don't worry mate, in a week it'll be understandably too late to buy players because the prices quoted are too high. :lol:

:thup:

Some common sense at last

Erection problems is it?

From April

So what is he then?

It tends to be flexible according to your slant IMO. When we sold Given as a 31 year old everyone was up in arms because as a GK he still had "years ahead of him". That makes Elliott a veritable babe in arms in comparison at 25.

Shay Given wasn't struggling in the third tier of English football at the age of 25.

From April

So what is he then?

He meant he wasn't going to sign a goalkeeper for the senior squad.  It's football terminology, he wasn't saying that he wouldn't sign a keeper in his 30s.

I'm in no doubt we'll get the left back and striker - they'll most likely be pretty good (Pieters and Maiga perhaps). But that doesn't excuse them fannying around for so long. We've had since February time to prepare and we're still picking names out of a hat with 2 weeks to go.