NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Surely there's absolutely no reason to believe we'd sign Carlton Cole, other than it would be a stupid thing to do and Mike Ashley loves doing stupid things.

Mike Ashley doesn't decide the transfer targets though, that's Pardew.

Pardew has worked with Cole before, and rates him. That's where this comes from.

Surely there's absolutely no reason to believe we'd sign Carlton Cole, other than it would be a stupid thing to do and Mike Ashley loves doing stupid things.

Pardew has worked with Cole before, and rates him. That's where this comes from.

He can decide who he wants, doesn't mean that Ashley's going to write the cheque for them though.

Doesn't really matter. It says everything about where we are going if we sign Cole.

Doesn't really matter. It says everything about where we are going if we sign Cole.

Liverpool?

I think that's the reason for the press link, whether it's a reason that might make us actually sign him is another matter.

Actually got quite a lot of confidence that Pardew, Carver and Carr will be doing their best as a team to try and get the right players lined up, within whatever budget they've been given. And that they'll all be pulling in the same direction.

Just wish I could feel the same about the competence of Llambias and Ashley to work equally as hard to secure the deals. It's a suspicion and distrust of their own making, and will only be lifted if we have an excellent summer of incoming transfers. Can only hope that by now they've learnt enough of the ropes and have enough desire to try and take the club forward. Guess this will soon start to become clear.

Carr has directly contributed to the 'discovery' of one excellent player. One.

Not saying he isn't good at his job and I sincerely hope he's able to spot some more players of Tiote's quality but it's still just one player.

Not saying he isn't good at his job and I sincerely hope he's able to spot some more players of Tiote's quality but it's still just one player.

A player who Hughton already knew about and rated from his scouting trips long before Carr had joined the club. A player who was offered around to numerous premiership club by his agent.

carr's just doing his job of being a scout, same as previous scouts have for us, and every other club, for plenty of years.

personally i hope carr and pardew have the full backing of Ashley to spend all the carroll money, but the money should go on the specific players they've identified for the side, rather than buying based on other factors.

unfortunately i can see us still going for opportunity signings - where players are out of contract, or can invoke the webster ruling, or have fallen out with managers, or are damaged goods either physically or mentally, or just fall into our laps.

A player who Hughton already knew about and rated from his scouting trips long before Carr had joined the club. A player who was offered around to numerous premiership club by his agent.

carr's just doing his job of being a scout, same as previous scouts have for us, and every other club, for plenty of years.

personally i hope carr and pardew have the full backing of Ashley to spend all the carroll money, but the money should go on the specific players they've identified for the side, rather than buying based on other factors.

unfortunately i can see us still going for opportunity signings - where players are out of contract, or can invoke the webster ruling, or have fallen out with managers, or are damaged goods either physically or mentally, or just fall into our laps.

Exactly. The right leadership would see us buying the players we need to improve. The wrong leadership would see us buying whichever player is available for less than usual because of a contract loophole - which is the way we have operated for quite some time now.

buying whichever player is available for less than usual because of a contract loophole - which is the way we have operated for quite some time now.

That is Gosling and (at a push) Williamson.

Anyone else or has this theory fallen apart already?

buying whichever player is available for less than usual because of a contract loophole - which is the way we have operated for quite some time now.

Jonas?

Jonas?

Didn't he eventually cost about £5 million?

Exactly. The right leadership would see us buying the players we need to improve. The wrong leadership would see us buying whichever player is available for less than usual because of a contract loophole - which is the way we have operated for quite some time now.

it's precisely why i was relieved we dodged the bullet that was david bentley, and i hope we do the same with Ireland. having £35m to spend is a massive opportunity to shape the side for the next few years and take us up a level, let's not fritter it away on shite just because those players are easier to get.

we should be looking for the best young talent in europe, south america and even places like korea and japan, rather than signing the first waste of space who hasn't had a good game in a year and a half that happens to land on our doorstep.

Guest Roger Kint

Looks like we can rule out Gervinho, wants CL football ....

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6916740,00.html

Can't understand how this six (or more) games mean so much for his career...

Going to a CL club generally means they will be challenging to get in each year though as most bigger sides are regulars in it.

"It's the best competition and I want to be a part of that set-up every year."

You really cant see why?

Guest Heneage

I'm pretty sure he's been doing his job since Feb last year, so roughly 15 months. That's a pretty good return.