NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Are there any significant transfer links left?

Gameiro- signed for another club

Gervinho- signed for another club

Erdinc- agent says he isn't moving to Newcastle

Neil Taylor- mooted bid has been rebuffed

N'Zogbia- signing for another club.

I can't think of anybody else we've been realistically linked with. As it stands any further signings will have to be very much under the radar.

Long?

I can't think of anybody else we've been realistically linked with. As it stands any further signings will have to be very much under the radar.

Most of our signings under Ashley have been like this.

Guest BooBoo

Linked with in the press really means nothing though

Fairly sure out of those players I listed, we lodged bids for all except NZog. Most of those weren't just gossip, we were actively trying to get them, and didn't get any of them.

Fairly sure out of those players I listed, we lodged bids for all except NZog. Most of those weren't just gossip, we were actively trying to get them, and didn't get any of them.

Yeah, but that list doesn't include all the players mentioned by the press who we didn't bid for. That's the whole point.

Guest BooBoo

Most of our signings under Ashley havent been under the radar. The only ones that pretty much came out of the blue were Xisco, Jonas and Marveaux. Most of the others have been heavily linked in the press to us before a deals been made.

All the reports for Gervinho were pretty contradictory, I swear their president said they hadnt even received any bid when we were supposedly interested

Most of our signings under Asey havent been under the radar. The only ones that pretty much came out of the blue were Xisco, Jonas and Marveaux. Most of the others have been heavily linked in the press to us before a deals been made.

All the signings in the Championship January transfer window seemed to come out of the blue.

Most of our signings under Ashley havent been under the radar. The only ones that pretty much came out of the blue were Xisco, Jonas and Marveaux. Most of the others have been heavily linked in the press to us before a deals been made.

Routledge, van Aanholt and Fitz Hall were all surprise signings too, I think. WR definitely was.

The "three continental strikers under the age of 28" are who are left I reckon.

Guest BooBoo

Routledge had been mildly linked as had Best and Williamson.

The two loans in January 10 were out of the blue though.

Guest Heneage

When will you learn Otter. We move by the night and rarely does anyone know who we're after until he's lining up at 3pm on a Saturday.

Marveaux didn't really come out of the blue - we'd been linked with him for 6 months! It was unexpected due to everyone thinking he was signing with Liverpool until his medical/contract issue, but we all knew we'd been linked to him for a lengthy period of time.

Guest BooBoo

Very well then, my point still stands about our "out of the blue"'signings under Ashley being the exception rather than the rule.

Guest ovesbar

Routledge, van Aanholt and Fitz Hall were all surprise signings too, I think. WR definitely was.

Tiote, Enrique?

Don't think Routledge had been linked whatsoever. He was meant to be in talks with Boro and then out of nowhere he was announced an NUFC player.

Very well then, my point still stands about our "out of the blue"'signings under Ashley being the exception rather than the rule.

But the actual point is that we apparently always try and keep our persuit of players under the press radar as much as we can.

Maybe we are unsuccessful in this more often than not, but nevertheless, to say that having run out of transfer links reported in the papers is a major worry is a nonsense imho.

Guest Magpie Ranger

Don't think Routledge had been linked whatsoever. He was meant to be in talks with Boro and then out of nowhere he was announced an NUFC player.

Routledge is off to Leicester supposedly, or perhaps Swansea.

That's how I remember it too. Everyone was getting a chubby on over the prospect of Victor Moses and then bang, WR10 had signed on the dotted line. I can't really recall Best being linked either.

Routledge is off to Leicester supposedly, or perhaps Swansea.

wat

That's how I remember it too. Everyone was getting a chubby on over the prospect of Victor Moses and then bang, WR10 had signed on the dotted line. I can't really recall Best being linked either.

only recall best being mooted while he was having his medical

Simpsons loan was unexpected too as I recall

Reading refuse to sell Long to rivals

Anthony Smith • Published 14 Jul 2011 17:20

READING manager Brian McDermott insists Shane Long will only be sold to a Premier League club - as West Bromwich Albion prepare to make a staggering £8 million swoop.

It is understood Royals have rejected several bids for the Republic of Ireland striker which failed to meet their valuation.

Last week Newcastle United were rumoured to be lining up a potential £10 million cash-plus-player deal that would see Leon Best arrive at Madejski Stadium.

But it appears there has been little movement on that front, and Baggies have now emerged as favourites to sign Reading's highly-prized Player of the Year.

Baggies boss Roy Hodgson has been a long-term admirer of Long's going back to his days as Fulham manager. And it is believed he is ready to test Reading's resolve with a bid that would shatter the club's previous record transfer of £7 million when Gylfi Sigurdsson moved to Hoffenheim last summer.

Whether West Brom win the race to sign Long remains to be seen, as Sunderland and Everton have also been heavily linked.

But McDermott says he will only do business with Premier League clubs, despite selling ex-skipper Matt Mills to Championship rivals Leicester City for £5.5 million last week.

"I made a promise to Shane last season when I asked him to give us one [more] season," explained McDermott.

"I said let's see if we can get ourselves into the Premier League and then we'll see what happens this season.

"He's got a year to go on his contract and I have said to him that if the right move comes along, and it's the right move for him and the right move for us, I can't stand in his way because of what he's done for us.

"He'll only leave for a Premier League club."

Selling Long and Mills would see Reading's transfer profits rocket to more than £10 million this summer alone. But missing out on promotion back to the Premier League has led to budget cuts at Madejski Stadium and McDermott is unlikely to see all of that cash.

Instead, he may be forced to dip into the loan market, as he did when he enticed Andy Griffin and Zurab Khizanishvili to Berkshire last season.

Reading have enquired about taking Hull City's unwanted defender Paul McShane on loan, but they could be put off by the player's wages.

Nottingham Forest's Luke Chambers is another possible target, though manager Steve McClaren will be reluctant to sell. Reading have also been watching £400,000-rated Derry City star James McClean.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/articles/2011/07/14/53002-reading-refuse-to-sell-long-to-rivals/