NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

I thought a new LB was already lined up with money put aside for the deal should Jose leave, any of the above would do as long as Jose stayed.

Mbenge will arrive quickly when Enrique leaves.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Crouch isn't a bad player. No way I'd pay that amount for him though.

No, I quite like him, I just don't think we'll sign him.

Of course not. Mental to think we'll pay over £6m for someone!

Crouch isn't a bad player. No way I'd pay that amount for him though.

You see I thought this.  I thought maybe I didn't particularly 'rate' him because he is an unfavorable sort of player.  Then I checked his goal record (which is pretty important) and it stinks.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/black-white/spurs_striker_defoe_a_target_for_newcastle_1_3616709

Spurs striker Defoe a target for Newcastle

By MILES STARFORTH

Published on Tuesday 26 July 2011 12:10

JERMAIN Defoe has emerged as a striking target for Newcastle United.

But the club will first make a final attempt to push through a deal for Paris Saint-Germain’s Melvut Erdinc, the subject of a reported £6.5m bid.

Defoe’s Tottenham Hotspur team-mate Peter Crouch is another possible target should United fail to prise Erdinc, 24, away from the Parc des Princes.

Erdinc, however, remains Newcastle’s No1 choice, and the proposed deal, as it stands, is not dead, despite recent comments from the player’s agent saying he is to stay at PSG.

United are also lining up a left-back replacement for Liverpool target Jose Enrique, who seems certain to leave before the end of the transfer window after his Twitter outburst.

As revealed by the Gazette on May 10, Aston Villa’s Stephen Warnock is one target, while Manchester City’s Wayne Bridge and West Bromwich Albion’s Nicky Shorey are also being considered, as well as a couple of continental players.

However, manager Alan Pardew – who is looking to reinvest the £35m banked from the controversial January sale to Liverpool – wouldn’t discuss the club’s targets.

Pardew told the Gazette: “After the Andy Carroll thing I’m not going to use the word promise, that’s a dangerous word for me. But I’m confident we’re going to get a striker in.

“After the Orlando game, plenty of fans mentioned to me ‘where’s the striker?’ It’s not something that’s far from my mind.

“All I can say is everyone’s on tour, and everybody’s going to start making moves shortly.

“We don’t want to leave it late, of course, but we’re ahead of the game, because we’ve been trying to get a striker for a while.

“We know exactly what the market is, and we’ll pitch in when it’s right.”

Pardew – whose side take on Columbus Crew in Ohio tonight – is hopeful of a breakthrough when the club returns to England from its tour of the United States.

"After the Andy Carroll thing I’m not going to use the word promise, that’s a dangerous word for me. But I’m confident we’re going to get a striker in."

:lol:

PS: I hope he realises the hugely damaging effects these comments will have on our current strikers' morale.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Personally feel Defoe is a very over rated finisher, very greedy, and shots whenever/wherever he has the ball. Injured a lot. Total confidence player too. Wouldn't be too keen on that signing at all.