NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

It's shocking that Pardew is still banging on about bringing in "one or two" players when is blatantly obvious that we are ridiculously light in nearly every department.

Well, we aren't ridiculously light in every department, and we've already signed a number of players. How many signings do you want in one summer?

You're quickly turning into the anti-colocho.

It's shocking that Pardew is still banging on about bringing in "one or two" players when is blatantly obvious that we are ridiculously light in nearly every department.

Well, we aren't ridiculously light in every department, and we've already signed a number of players. How many signings do you want in one summer?

Grow up.

The fact is we aren't "ridiculously light in every department". We're short on numbers at LB and maybe CB, and short on quality in CF. I've never denied that, but the extreme negativity is mental at times.

Basically if players aren't available on an unusually low price due to circumstance (major injury, dispute with current club or contractual quirk), we are struggling. The actual needs of the team/squad appear to be of secondary concern.

In Pardew's interview on NUFCtv after the Leeds game he virtually admits he is simply hoping players become available before the end of the transfer window in positions he needs. If they don't, do we go without?

People aren't asking for us to bid for Berbatov for fucks sake, it's not deluded Geordie SSN mong behaviour to want us to actually have enough players of a mid-to-lower prem standard to fill a fucking teamsheet on any given Saturday without having to play a midfielder in defence.

Grow up.

The fact is we aren't "ridiculously light in every department". We're short on numbers at LB and maybe CB, and short on quality in CF. I've never denied that, but the extreme negativity is mental at times.

"nearly every department" which is a fair claim. The GK situation isn't as good as people think (Harper is rubbish and Forster is too untested), the defence and up front are 1 transfer/injury away from chaos so we're currently relying a hell of a lot on our amazing injury prevention record holding up.

Not much money is needed to alleviate the genuine concern but we're very slowly trying to do it on the cheap.

People aren't asking for us to bid for Berbatov for fucks sake, it's not deluded Geordie SSN mong behaviour to want us to actually have enough players of a mid-to-lower prem standard to fill a fucking teamsheet on any given Saturday without having to play a midfielder in defence.

We have that already though, unless we get an exceptionally high number of injuries.

Don't get me wrong, I want more and better signings as well, I just don't think our current situation is as terrible as people think.

Guest NewBoyPeetah

People aren't asking for us to bid for Berbatov for f***s sake, it's not deluded Geordie SSN mong behaviour to want us to actually have enough players of a mid-to-lower prem standard to fill a f***ing teamsheet on any given Saturday without having to play a midfielder in defence.

I agree, I'd rather that the cover for LB wasn't Simpson for example.

Our squad depth is roughly comparable with all the teams we can realistically expect to compete with. Obviously there are people with better first teams but depth-wise, everyone would struggle with multiple longterm injuries to their best players

The current situation isn't terrible IMO, the point is I just can't see any reason why we will finish much higher than last year, if at all.

Even agreeing that the Carroll deal was 'too good to turn down', we therefore had a windfall most clubs in the league could only dream of. Where's the ambition to progress?

We have that already though, unless we get an exceptionally high number of injuries.

Don't get me wrong, I want more and better signings as well, I just don't think our current situation is as terrible as people think.

it's not terrible, it's stupid.

Guest NewBoyPeetah

The current situation is better than we think and I'm pleased with the nature of the signings we have made but I'm just a bit miffed. We have signed three midfielders which is great as I think we'll be fine for players all over that area now but are these signings going to get in the way of signings which we have a greater need for. Filling up the wage bill without gaining another LB etc? 

The current situation isn't terrible IMO, the point is I just can't see any reason why we will finish much higher than last year, if at all.

Even agreeing that the Carroll deal was 'too good to turn down', we therefore had a windfall most clubs in the league could only dream of. Where's the ambition to progress?

At first glance there doesn't seem to be any. Then again the transfer window isn't over

yet so it may not be the time to be declaring unconditional surrender.

At first glance there doesn't seem to be any. Then again the transfer window isn't over

the fuck happened to you?  i remember when you were virtually suicidal at one point, now we're back to wait and see? ???

again

the f*** happened to you?  i remember when you were virtually suicidal at one point, now we're back to wait and see? ???

again

I haven't been morbidly depressed about anything since

Hughton was sacked as far as I remember.

I thought buying late meant paying over the odds though? :undecided:

There are less than two weeks before the start of the season and we only have one pre-season game out of six remaining to prepare. After that there's an international break which I'm sure will be another hurdle.

I wonder how much debt is owed to Ashley now. He must want out in the next year or two, theres no reason for him to keep the club if hes not gonna invest to take us foward. He's not gonna make much profit either if we stand still or go backwards.

I wonder how much debt is owed to Ashley now. He must want out in the next year or two, theres no reason for him to keep the club if hes not gonna invest to take us foward. He's not gonna make much profit either if we stand still or go backwards.

I don't think he necessarily bought the club to make money, not in the short/medium term anyway. He thought he could do something interesting and have some fun, and totally underestimated how much it would cost him.

No doubt he would leave any time if he could find a decent buyer... it's finding one that could be an issue. Let's not forget the new owner could be even worse either, we could end up with Venky's.

I thought buying late meant paying over the odds though? :undecided:

There are less than two weeks before the start of the season and we only have one pre-season game out of six remaining to prepare. After that there's an international break which I'm sure will be another hurdle.

Fortunately business doesn't stop when the season starts. In fact, for some clubs that's when things seem to kick off.

You look at the signings we made last August, you look at the business other clubs have done so far, there's no indicators that lead me to believe we'll not sign more players.

Well, other than the sense of panic and deprivation that comes from signing a lot of players early and then stopping for a while.

Guest bimpy474

It looks like we are going for a squad of 20 or so and then the rest will be kids, Sammy, Dummett, Vucky, Fergie, Tav.........to me that means one GK, i reckon Forster will go, loan possibly or sold, thats why if we sign a striker then Rangers gone.

Its not a bad idea if you have a good 20 or so squad in the first place who play regular without niggling injuries, and you know you kids are good as back up, we dont know the answers to either, we have signed some good but unproven in the premiership players, our kids look good but how will they perform when called, Sammy did well against Chelsea, we know Fergie is good, but the others we dont really know, time will tell and only game time will prove if they are good enough.

I'm not as concerned as some seem to be, but with a few injuries, the ACN and if the kids dont make the jump to the first team, then we will be in trouble, but then that puts us in with about 10 other teams in the same situation, Bartons ranting would worry me more at the moment as it a sure way to destroy spirit, and that will kill the team more than injuries or a few defeats will.

If he doesn't invest in the playing squad then the business side will suffer as it is the football that dictates the success of the business.

I am worried.  I think we could have a good season but there are too many ifs and buts.  We need new arrivals, players to stay fit, the team to gel, no suspensions, the board not to make any more cock-ups and to improve their relationship with the players.  I just don't think we will be that fortunate.  I worry that we will get off to a poor start and spend the rest of the season trying to recover.

I don't think he necessarily bought the club to make money, not in the short/medium term anyway. He thought he could do something interesting and have some fun, and totally underestimated how much it would cost him.

No doubt he would leave any time if he could find a decent buyer... it's finding one that could be an issue. Let's not forget the new owner could be even worse either, we could end up with Venky's.

When he was still excited in the project in the summer before Keegans departure, he really seemed to be wanting to push on saying he couldn't do it alone, welcoming investment. That was before he blew it with the support and the shit went down of course, and it just depends on whether the club still does anything for him anymore.

You have to suspect not, but I still think the plan, if the animosity remains simmering rather vocal, could revert to the one he initially laid out for the club when he bought it. Effectively gift the club £20m a season, which if we can balance the books could mean, rather than disappearing into the hole, a good deal of actual wedge invested in the squad. That's probably better than most in the league outside the Princes and oligarchs, and might get the club united again.

/yeah, yeah, very unlikely, I know.