NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Picking up on the the extremes point, it's spot on. I don't think you'll talk to many who'd argue we haven't improved the squad, with Cabaye and Ba we've added some real quality to the first team and we'll be a better side because of that.

However we could be better still if we bothered to actually invest some of the cash we've raked in over the last six or so months. No one is asking Ashley to break the bank, no one is asking the scouts to stop searching for bargains, but the way we're currently operating is frankly unacceptable. The examples of N'Zogbia and Sturridge show there is real quality out there if you're willing to invest. Instead we're settling for players that might see us improve, instead of buying a couple of others on top of them which will see us improve. It sends a clear message to fans and players alike we're willing to settle and that simply isn't enough for the more ambitious lads such as Enrique.

Instead we seem to have bought into his attitude that we're in financial woe in which any sort of investment will be overinflated and will subsequently lead to fianacial ruin, frankly it's ridiculous. What makes it more frustrating still is the smoke and mirrors coming form the powers that be. Why insinuate you're going to spend said money when you have no intention to what so ever. There's still time in this transfer window but so far there's nothing to suggest even a modicum of ambition from the board. Buy cheap, sell big, wonderful.

The whole we'd of had to pay over inflated fee x for player y is frankly ridiculous when there is genuine qulaity going for reasonable prices. Yes we've improved the squad this summer on a shoe string budget, but it could be improved further if we bother to invest substantially.

right, it's always extremes - ask for investment and it gets answered with "we could have paid 10m for carlton cole"

well aye, we could, but we could also maybe have scouted another player that might have been mint for the same price, or more, or less, if we were serious about wanting quality on the pitch

We did - we got Ba on a free

ok so we got one good striker for free, and in response to asking for the club to spend you answer with "we could have pissed 10m away on carlton cole"

it doesn't add up...why can we only be astute when there's no money involved?

Its a general thing though, not a specific on a player.

People are moaning about the fact we have not spent £35m plus this summer and proclaiming it as a sign that the club is showing no ambition as we have only been signing freebies and those with magic clauses. I'm saying that we could have substituted our signings so far with the likes of Cole, or spent stupid money on the likes of Henderson. I'm not saying we shouldn't still be looking at improving the squad further but I am happy with the players we have brought in so far.

Of course another spin on our activity is that we are looking at value, regardless of how it comes about. We could have signed Reo-Coker on a free but our centre midfield signing so far has been Cabaye - thats £4.5m less that Mike's going to be able to take out of the club now isn't it?

Oh, and going off today's game - I'm even more firmly in the 'need for more reinforcements camp'. We're still too light in reserve at best.

People are moaning about the fact we have not spent £35m plus this summer

who is?  not heard anyone calling for that level of investment, perhaps ages ago when we sold carroll people might have got excited but in the cold light of day no-one is expecting that imo, no-one

who is?  not heard anyone calling for that level of investment, perhaps ages ago when we sold carroll people might have got excited but in the cold light of day no-one is expecting that imo, no-one

I'm not trawling trough the board to get names, but there are plenty of comments in the transfer threads adding the Carroll and Nolan fees together and moaning that we're not reinvesting it all

I'm not trawling trough the board to get names, but there are plenty of comments in the transfer threads adding the Carroll and Nolan fees together and moaning that we're not reinvesting it all

:lol: true, not sure i'd go as far as plenty but there were some fuckwits saying that i suppose

:lol: true, not sure i'd go as far as plenty but there were some fuckwits saying that i suppose

Not that many at all tbh.

Picking up on the the extremes point, it's spot on. I don't think you'll talk to many who'd argue we haven't improved the squad, with Cabaye and Ba we've added some real quality to the first team and we'll be a better side because of that.

However we could be better still if we bothered to actually invest some of the cash we've raked in over the last six or so months. No one is asking Ashley to break the bank, no one is asking the scouts to stop searching for bargains, but the way we're currently operating is frankly unacceptable. The examples of N'Zogbia and Sturridge show there is real quality out there if you're willing to invest. Instead we're settling for players that might see us improve, instead of buying a couple of others on top of them which will see us improve. It sends a clear message to fans and players alike we're willing to settle and that simply isn't enough for the more ambitious lads such as Enrique.

Instead we seem to have bought into his attitude that we're in financial woe in which any sort of investment will be overinflated and will subsequently lead to fianacial ruin, frankly it's ridiculous. What makes it more frustrating still is the smoke and mirrors coming form the powers that be. Why insinuate you're going to spend said money when you have no intention to what so ever. There's still time in this transfer window but so far there's nothing to suggest even a modicum of ambition from the board. Buy cheap, sell big, wonderful.

Good post

There's a lot I agree with here, I just think part of the problem is the players available. There's not much point spunking money on players they're not convinced by or that are overvalued by other clubs. Saying that the fact we're going into the season with Enrique more than likely to go and no-one obviously coming in does worry me. Likewise the lack of quality striker. BUT, I just hope they're biding their time and waiting for the right player to become available.

Although I remember thinking the same thing the transfer window where our big 'signing' was Sibieriski on transfer deadline day.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

Does this mean we are not looking for a left back?

what happened to the £35m?

Does this mean we are not looking for a left back?

what happened to the £35m?

http://www.helgartarmaccontractor-northampton.co.uk/var/aj/19408/203860-driveway-repair-northampton-h-elgar-tarmac-contractor-tarmac-repairs.jpg

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

Liverpool will wait till the last day of the transfer window then sign him leaving us without cover just like the Carroll sale.

Liverpool will wait till the last day of the transfer window then sign him leaving us without cover just like the Carroll sale.

Yep, i want people to remind themselves of this everyday, because it will happen.

"Hahaha, people moaning about the squad, it's only June, it's only July, it's only half way through July, it's only August and Pardew hopes to maybe buy one player... Oh, wait..."

At least under Shepherd we actually had a squad of footballers to watch on a Saturday.

Yep, i want people to remind themselves of this everyday, because it will happen.

That way they can blame a lack of time available to find a replacement.  :nope: