NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Still waiting until end of transfer window to judge, but it is pretty ridiculous that our striker search since January came up with the following names:

Gameiro

Gervinho

Erdinc

Sturridge

Crouch

Defoe

Beckford

It's taken 7 months to come up with that list.

:dowiespin:

what's so dowie about that, he's fucking right...assuming of course you operate on the idea that we ever intended to spend any serious money on a striker at all, which i don't

or is a dowie 'cause we all have to wait until 1st september or whatever to confirm what's blatantly obvious right now?

What's so Dowie about that? For a kick off the Erding transfer isn't done, but more importantly he either actively participates in our board meetings or he's based that list on pure press speculation. We've also been told by the press our other striking cadidates are on the continent, but why give that equal weight to the other unfounded rumours when you can have a bit of a moan?

What's so Dowie about that? For a kick off the Erding transfer isn't done, but more importantly he either actively participates in our board meetings or he's based that list on pure press speculation. We've also been told by the press our other striking cadidates are on the continent, but why give that equal weight to the other unfounded rumours when you can have a bit of a moan?

he was on about scouting and targets having 7 months to do the work, we "moved" for 2 very well known and highly sought after players from france and have then basically been floundering like a fish out of water since

if we were going to operate on such low funds as we evidently are i'd have expected the scouting to turn up some unknowns myself, at least 1 or 2 investments who may or may not make it...assuming that's the business model (buy cheap sell high)

as it is we seem to have a bid in for someone pretty average to go with ba

ar fuck it i give up, it is just moaning at the end of the day but so we fucking should be moaning

he was on about scouting and targets having 7 months to do the work, we "moved" for 2 very well known and highly sought after players from france and have then basically been floundering like a fish out of water sinceif we were going to operate on such low funds as we evidently are i'd have expected the scouting to turn up some unknowns myself, at least 1 or 2 investments who may or may not make it...assuming that's the business model (buy cheap sell high)

as it is we seem to have a bid in for someone pretty average to go with ba

ar f*** it i give up, it is just moaning at the end of the day but so we f***ing should be moaning

I share your sentiments on the lack of investment, I've complained about it elsewhere but the bit in bold is based on nothing but unfounded speculation, to me it seems like the press haven't a scooby and are subsequently pulling names out of the air. I'll wait to see who, if anyone, we sign before I become disgruntled with our scouting.

scouting overall is ok, good even; cabaye was a steal (hopefully), abeid, ba and marveaux all good moves but this was about a striker 'cause we accepted 35m when we had a average-poor strikeforce as it was and we should have expected more

but aye, let's wait and see again we might be surprised, benefit of the doubt for del & mike again i suppose

for some strange reason, i have full confidence in the club on this one, patience is the key for us. i think there will be a decent signing  for us comin up before the window closes, whether it be erdinc or someone we've not even been linked with yet or maybe im juse deluded lol.

The "wait and see" point has been and gone imo, most of our pre-season games have passed, we play Arsenal in less than two weeks time, it's simply not good enough with the money and time on our hands.

Would we have signed a striker yet if we hadn't taken advantage of yet another odd contractual issue with Ba? Is Graham Carr's job as a scout or does he just ring round agents and try and find out who is about to fall off the back of a lorry?

Again, I'm not condoning the amount of time it's taken to get a striker in, rather I don't believe for one minutes the current regime are considering names like Defoe and Crouch. They'll go for someone of the Erding ilk i.e. cheap with potenatial sell on value.

Is Graham Carr's job as a scout or does he just ring round agents and try and find out who is about to fall off the back of a lorry?

i'd love to know the mechanics of how we're exploiting all these clauses and shit, i suppose there must be loads of players with contractual clauses and expirations so maybe the scouting teams remit is to go and scout all of them and choose the best ones?

Is Graham Carr's job as a scout or does he just ring round agents and try and find out who is about to fall off the back of a lorry?

i'd love to know the mechanics of how we're exploiting all these clauses and shit, i suppose there must be loads of players with contractual clauses and expirations so maybe the scouting teams remit is to go and scout all of them and choose the best ones?

Agents job to hawk their players about and make people aware of said clauses surely.

Agents job to hawk their players about and make people aware of said clauses surely.

just meant from our side really...i mean are we even looking at players who we have negotiate and pay for now or do we just scout the clauses and expiring contracts?

probably a mixture with the focus on the clauses and shit imo

just meant from our side really...i mean are we even looking at players who we have negotiate and pay for now or do we just scout the clauses and expiring contracts?

probably a mixture with the focus on the clauses and shit imo

I'd imagine agents will know what we're after and therefore will target contacting the club or whatever alerting to us to said clauses. It definitely seems we're only after first team players with said clauses while we'll pay the normal nominal amounts for youth or shit backup's like Perch.

Limitations breed creativity. I think the scouting team's focus on these sort of players is their way of trying to get around our limited transfer budgets.

Given that we're not spending a whole lot of money either way, I'm just happy that we seem to be finding the good players with contract loopholes instead of the shit ones so far.

i have no problem with the job the scouts are doing to be honest, who does?  problem is with the money (not) being spent nowt else

"limitations breed creativity" i like that actually, sums it up pretty well

Sorry not directly pointed at you, but the fact that we're not spending vast sums of money keeps coming up.

I still find it strange that in every walk of life you look to spend the least amount of money to bring the greatest benefit, except for football.

Of course I would love another striker brought in and a decent replacement/backup for Enrique as a minimum, but for some people it appears that would rather we had spent £15m on a striker of Ba's ability and another £15m on a player of Cabaye's ability, and then spent another £10m on a winger like Marveaux.

I like the fact that we are looking outside of the UK for signings as they give much better value for money, and the fact we are exploiting clauses like are we is to me, a good thing.

Well it said in the Sunday Sun that Sturridge is on our list but we don't want to wait until mid-late August to get our striker. So we still have that option after the Beckfords and Crouchs go away. Our back-up plan is the best one!

i have no problem with the job the scouts are doing to be honest, who does?  problem is with the money (not) being spent nowt else

"limitations breed creativity" i like that actually, sums it up pretty well

Sorry not directly pointed at you, but the fact that we're not spending vast sums of money keeps coming up.

I still find it strange that in every walk of life you look to spend the least amount of money to bring the greatest benefit, except for football.

Of course I would love another striker brought in and a decent replacement/backup for Enrique as a minimum, but for some people it appears that would rather we had spent £15m on a striker of Ba's ability and another £15m on a player of Cabaye's ability, and then spent another £10m on a winger like Marveaux.

I like the fact that we are looking outside of the UK for signings as they give much better value for money, and the fact we are exploiting clauses like are we is to me, a good thing.

Agreed.

Some are obsessed with money, caught up in this Hollywood romantic view that in order to sign good players you need to spend vast amounts of money.

You are absolutely correct that those who think this way, would have preffered to have signed these players for big fees. They won't admit to it though.