NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

We'd be alright with Willo and Colo if we had another fullback to go with Santon. Of course we could do with some depth at centre half, so I fear the powers that be will take the easy way out and sign somebody like Ridgewell, who can play both but isn't great at either. With the money we should have in the bank it's a disgrace if we only sign one averagely priced player.

I'd be very disappointed with Ridgewell. He certainly wouldn't solve our problem of having poor footballing fullbacks.

Agree, though he's a jack of more than one trade which is probably the only reason we're sniffing around....however he's decidedly average at both Centre back and left full back.

However if we're going down the avenue for players who fill more than one position, I'd love Onuoha.

New Right back is priority IMO, Pardew will give Obertan a year at least so there's no point in wishing for a new RW. Maybe someone who can play on both wings?

Hoilett perhaps?

Hoilett would be a fantastic signing for us. It won't happen though.

I'd be very disappointed with Ridgewell. He certainly wouldn't solve our problem of having poor footballing fullbacks.

Agree, though he's a jack of more than one trade which is probably the only reason we're sniffing around....however he's decidedly average at both Centre back and left full back.

Exactly. He's a slight upgrade on both Perch and Raylor in their current positions, that's about it. Just gives us more depth of average defenders who shit a brick in possession.

He would somewhat be a solution to our lack of cover at CB though. I would trust him more than Perch at CB anyway.

I'd be very wary of buying a centre half from the French league. We've had some right dross, often weak as piss, and there's not been a great many of them come to the Premier League and succeed in recent years, at least not without a fair old period of adapting. Having said that, I was a fan of Bassong.

I'd be very wary of buying a centre half from the French league. We've had some right dross, often weak as piss, and there's not been a great many of them come to the Premier League and succeed in recent years, at least not without a fair old period of adapting. Having said that, I was a fan of Bassong.

Agree with this. Koscielny is only just starting to look adequate now and he was apparently the best in that league.

Ciani is a big guy though so I would hope the physical stuff wouldn't be a problem.

Oh how I wish Taggart had kept faith with William Prunier for a few more games...if he had we would have surely won the League in 96, he was that shite.

New Right back is priority IMO, Pardew will give Obertan a year at least so there's no point in wishing for a new RW. Maybe someone who can play on both wings?

Hoilett perhaps?

Hoilett would be a fantastic signing for us. It won't happen though.

Would love to see this happen too. Don't know what it is but I've got a feeling he may end up doing an Ashley Young i.e: stop somewhere for a couple of years, excel, then find a top four club.

So, in that respect, would fit in to the criteria of being able to make a healthy profit off him.

Tbf, you can say that it's best to avoid Ligue 1 for centre halves but it's just as likely we could sign somebody already playing in England who would be a complete dud for us, or somebody from Spain or Italy. I don't think there is much continuity or correlation with the success of players coming from each league, it nearly always depends on the individual and how suited they are in terms of age, ability, style of play, mentality etc.