José Mourinho

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mourinho's return is a weird one. Wouldn't have thought he would want to work with Abramovich again, certainly not after the way he was treated during his previous stint at Chelsea. Hmmm.

In any case though, I am rather pleased to see him back in the PL.

Mourinho's return is a weird one. Wouldn't have thought he would want to work with Abramovich again, certainly not after the way he was treated during his previous stint at Chelsea. Hmmm.

They patched things up a while back.

They patched things up a while back.

I still think he'll be undermined in some way. Roman can't help himself at times...

Roman's got some more nous and more stable set up of his people in the club than when he started, Mourinhou probably won't be winning any power battles (well like the first time, but possibly won't be allowed to start) but may be trusted and funded enough he doesn't need to.

Mixed feelings about his return, he is a charismatic anti hero and I do have a soft spot for his teams, but the media circus is going to get tiresome, yet another reason to devote all the column inches to london teams

Although it's hard to say exactly what he was thinking, there's no denying Ferguson retired at a convenient time. Left a not-that-brilliant Man Utd squad comfortably on top of the league. He'll have known fine well Mourinho was likely to return, he'll have known Mancini was likely to leave and thus Man City were likely to improve.

He got out at the right time.

He also is a 71 year old man who has managed football clubs through the course of five decades and won everything possible several times over. The guy was probably tired. If he made life decisions based on the actions of other football clubs, he would have retired in 2004 or 2008, and he would have been a weak man.

I wouldn't deny that. It seems pretty clear cut it was a personal decision, but he also left at a very good time. I think footballing circumstances would have sealed the deal.

It really, really irks me that people think the likes of Mourinho returning has anything to do with him retiring.

I think if anything it's vice-versa.  I don't think it's coincidence that Mourinho came back when the league was arguably as weak as it's been in a long time (managerially speaking).  He can walk in and take a club that just won some cups and easily turn it in to a league winning side while Man U and Man City may take a bit of time to figure stuff out.

As much of a bastard as he could be at times Ferguson was fearless and showed time and time again he was one of the very best. There is no way (imo) he let anything outside of his own desires affect his decision when to call it a day.

Guest icemanblue

It really, really irks me that people think the likes of Mourinho returning has anything to do with him retiring.

Good.

I think if anything it's vice-versa.  I don't think it's coincidence that Mourinho came back when the league was arguably as weak as it's been in a long time (managerially speaking).  He can walk in and take a club that just won some cups and easily turn it in to a league winning side while Man U and Man City may take a bit of time to figure stuff out.

Exactly what I was thinking.

If there is a more egocentric personality in the football world I don't know who it is. I hope all kinds of horrible things happen to him and his shitty club.

Although it's hard to say exactly what he was thinking, there's no denying Ferguson retired at a convenient time. Left a not-that-brilliant Man Utd squad comfortably on top of the league. He'll have known fine well Mourinho was likely to return, he'll have known Mancini was likely to leave and thus Man City were likely to improve.

He got out at the right time.

The best Man United side imo developed hot on the heels of the most competitive Premiership era. Chelsea had a great side, Liverpool too and Arsenal with some class players too. IMO Fergie will always eventually raise his game.

The Mourinho/Benitez era spawned a Man Utd. side that went to 3 CL finals in 4 years.

Agreed. IMO he stuck around another season or two to show Man Utd. can overcome Man City at their best. Arsenal had their time then fergie pegged them back. Chelsea too, then Man Ut.d 3-peated. City won, he made sure the balance was restored.

Barcelona and Netherlands legend Johann Cruyff believes Mourinho will flop on his return to Stamford Bridge.

Cruyff loves his own opinion everything :lol:

Fix'd.

Always have time for him, but you have to wade through all the self-serving and contrarian bullshit.

So they just mentioned that Mourinho has finished in the top 2 every season since 2002/03. I don't care what people say about the clubs he has manager, that is a hell of an achievement. Its like Wenger's record of finishing in Champions league places.