Points target 2010-2011

Rob W

Much tougher next season. Last season burnley and hull along with Portsmouth for obvious reasons were always poorer than the rest.

I think 35 will see us safe. 40+ would be a good first season back

Definitely agree with this. The bottom 3 this season have been way way poorer that the rest of the league. In the summer no doubt West Ham and Wigan will spend money, Birmingham have had a class season, Stoke are ever improving. Next season will be very very tough at the bottom.

56 points got us 5th under Sir Bobby, yet I'm sure we got more than that a couple of years after finishing 7th!

I believe we had 57 when we finished 7th under Souness/Roeder.

Like most 41. As frustrated as i'm sure i'll get being around there, safety next year will do me. That extra 1 for a little comfort.

I've posted 56 before. Quite optimistic but not out of reach imo considering our great home form which I hope will last for a time in the Premier League.

But I think that I would be happy with lesser points (around 40, just safety) if we had an great Carling Cup/FA Cup run. Would be great to get to the final in one of them as it would mean -> Europe. 

I think 35 has replaced 40 points as the "safe" number. The number needed to stay up is getting lower and lower.

HOME: 6 Wins, 6 Draws, 7 Defeats

AWAY: 2 Wins, 6 Draws, 11 Defeats

....gives 36 points. So winning almost one in five games will keep us up (hopefully).

Guest Roger Kint

Would be extremely happy with 40+ with a few games left so we can enjoy the end of the season with no worries, should keep us in with matching our usual 11-15th position in the league so we are back to where we belong on the past 12 years or so where we have an average points of 50.9 since 1997/98

There's no way we'll need 50 points to stay up, the required total seems to be getting lower all the time.

I'd be happy with anything that allows us to relax towards the end of the season, 50 would obviously be great.

Guest Roger Kint

There's no way we'll need 50 points to stay up, the required total seems to be getting lower all the time.

I'd be happy with anything that allows us to relax towards the end of the season, 50 would obviously be great.

Who said that? :kasper:

Guest firetotheworks

Aim for 52, (Play for draws against the top 4 at home)...aim to win every other home game, get 40.

Guest Roger Kint

Aim for 52, (Play for draws against the top 4 at home)...aim to win every other home game, get 40.

You aim to win/do well in every game you play, dont agree with aiming for a certain target. Obviously 50+ would represent a fantastic season for us

Guest firetotheworks

You aim to win/do well in every game you play, dont agree with aiming for a certain target. Obviously 50+ would represent a fantastic season for us

I just think it's important we aim to win every game at home, with exceptions. Anything on top of that away may be aimed for, but perhaps is mostly unrealistic.