Club statement

Magpie

I'm a somewhat rational, realistic mammal. Allowing for the quixotic, ephemeral nature of the beast that is Newcastle United, i'd (naively) hoped that we'd reached the stage where making an arse of this thing of ours was to be a mere thing of the past.

The Howard Hughes of Berkshire has indeed been the first owner  in living memory to invest his own money ( rightly or wrongly, people will argue nonetheless), but lord on high, what earthly purpose does such a poorly-worded, grammatically inept and frankly unhelpful statement ever hope to achieve?

Extract the inherent hope from a large percentage of Newcastle fans (again, rightly or wrongly, i'm not a Rod Serling-esque judge), then you're left with what exactly - an abridged version of hope? A re-adjusted, malajusted evaluation of expectation?

I highly doubt anyone is kidding themselves prior to this released statement that NUFC are to storm their way to a European finish. However, Everton football club have managed rather well this past few years on a prudent budget without ever having to resort to some quasi-populisist nonsense as per this evening's statement.

In short, what was the f***ing point?

A fair few would like to know that if you manage to find the answer.

They really have learned absolutely nothing have they?  :undecided:

They have no concept of how to operate a football club. How many clubs invest £0 each year? What was the point of getting promoted first time round if you're not prepared to spend a bit of cash to stay there?

I just don't understand them or the backward, retarded decisions they make. They're thick as mince.   

Still can't believe he could sit at that Ipswich game in a full stadium and not realise what he potentially had on his hands if he invested some proper money over and above covering the running costs. :undecided:

Maybe calling him a rapist wasn't such a good idea.

It and other bits and pieces certainly won't have helped. :thup:

:fishing:

All it essentially says is there won't be an overhaul of the squad, fits with Hughton's two or three players comment. There's nothing new there at all not sure why people are suddenly panicing.

I think it's as much the way they say it as what they actually say.

Surely someone - read Llambias - deserves sacking for the way the club without fail manages to only kick off shit storms whenever it attempts to communicate. I mean seriously, is there nothing this incompetent can't fuck up?

Surely someone - read Llambias - deserves sacking for the way the club without fail manages to only kick off s*** storms whenever it attempts to communicate. I mean seriously, is there nothing this incompetent can't f*** up?

It would appear not.

Presumably we will still look to buy players but it can and will only be funded either from the money we have at our disposal now (ie nothing, hence the loss) or by selling players.

This is what I believe this statement conveys Dave. The words 'no capital outlay' mean that there will only be signings made from any monies that come IN to the club...whether this includes Sky Prem funds is open to interpretation but at first glance it appears that the only signings will be those funded by outgoing transfers OR by signing players on Bosmans.

If that is the case, then Hughton should be getting in touch with Kris Boyd and Kuranyi's agents ASAP because those type of players are going to be grabbed by other clubs such as our dear friends on Wearside or the likes of Brum.

Whatever the interpretation, Hughton's skills as a manager are going to be well and truly tested in the coming season - as a result of reading this statement I would revise my view of what the club can achieve over the coming season because finishing 17th is going to be a major achievement.

I have no problem whatsoever about the Board's stance over Press and Agent communication etc - about time some professionalism was introduced in those fields - but it looks as though whatever talent the club feels it has on the books is going to have to keep NUFC in the Prem....

Some painful match-days ahead, methinks....

Guest firetotheworks

That statement has so many contradictory factors.

For example they say that they want the club to break even by 2015, but dont give any details about how to achieve that. Naturally you would assume that that would involve staying in the Premier League, and thats mentioned near the start.

The first challenge is to maintain Premier League status.

But then they mention there will be no capital outlay for new players.

The first team squad that won the Championship this year will form the basis of the team for next season in the Premier League. There is no plan for new capital outlay on players.

I understand that there's a line to balance between maintaining Premier League status, but that second quote highlights the most significant challenge that they're putting on us, and themselves. Even a kitty of 15 million should be viable, and enough to make an impact.

And Players are another factor where there's huge contradiction. They say that they wont talk about players regarding, well, anything. Essentially it's a blanket 'no comment' across the board.

No interviews will be given by any members of the Board in respect of any footballing issues.

Again naturally you would think that this is because they've learned from their mistakes in interfering with the manager's job. And then....

The Board and supporters are aware that Newcastle United currently has a footballing academy brimming with talent, skill and dedication.

they mention players in our academy as being our new player resource! You can't have it both ways. You can't give comment on some players, and not others. One or the other please. What is the reason for this? Why do they have no judgment to pass on players? Is it because you know nothing about the game of football, and football players? So why then mention academy players as being talented, skilled and dedicated? Is it perhaps that having a positive opinion on players that will save you money suits your agenda? Aye, thought so.

Ashley and co are awesome at outcome through confusion, I'll give them that. They can do whatever they want, and because their statements are so contradictory, they can always come out with a 'that's what we meant' statement when they fuck up, or change their plan.

Hughton's going to need a miracle for us to stay up next season tbh.

sooooooooo beckford anyone?

Right back - Mamadou Dabo/Ebondo

Central midfield - Joe Ledley/Tamir Cohen

Striker - Paolo Guererro/Jermaine Beckford/Kris Boyd

All these players are on a free and are all good options for our three key areas in need of improvement. If we had gone after a combination of these players in order to sort out the right back, central midfield and striker positions I don't think it would have been the worst thing just because they are free. However this statement is just so depressingly negative that you wonder exactly what their intentions are. It just seemd so unecessary. Can't help but be let down and upset by it all. Just have to wait and see what happens.

I think it's a very smart statement. Try Reading it from an agent's point of view rather than a fan's - it effectively tells you to p*ss off if you try to rip the club off.  Call me naive but I think it's very smart. 

I think it's a very smart statement. Try Reading it from an agent's point of view rather than a fan's - it effectively tells you to p*ss off if you try to rip the club off.  Call me naive but I think it's very smart. 

You give Ashley too much credit

I didnt expect us to go out and spend £30 Million on players, that is clearly unrealistic BUT I would have thought we would at least spend some money to strengthen the squad - not taking into account sales because that would weaken the squad thus bringing us back to square one

I just hope Hughton can find some good freebies otherwise this will be a tough season

Surely they can't be expecting to "stabilise the club's finances" by getting relegated again.

A bit of realism is needed by the club - no signings and we will go straight back down. I hold onto the hope that this is just more cryptic bullshit, more waffle from the club without much thought - a poor attempt to 'manage' expectations.

We all know what needs to be done - we're not stupid. We have to bring in a few reinforcements of Premier League quality, not least a striker and centre mid to allow us to compete. We're not in the Championship any more. As things stand we will struggle to take points from our relegation rivals and will be cannon fodder for a lot of teams.

Even a modest investment would mean great gains if it meant survival and consolidation - that is the route we must go down. Spending nothing will result in huge losses when (not if) we are relegated. 12 months on and it appears lessons have not been learnt.

Personally I'll make my judgement at the end of the transfer window, there is no sense in speculating as this unpredictable club that is Newcastle United has always surprised every body over the last couple of seasons. Wait till the end of the transfer season and then make your judgement.

These statements just sour the mood, show a lack of direction and do not put confidence in the minds of our current squad, or potential signings, that we're a club going anywhere but back down.

Everything about the statement is negative. It is either truthful and very worrying or it is a ridiculous and pointless attempt at mind games which will just look like yet-more bollocks from the club if and when we do sign players. Their dialogue with fans and the media is awful and I just hope this is their latest poor attempt to be clever rather than an actual transfer policy of not buying anyone while we venture back into the Premier League with Ameobi and Carroll leading the line.

The people running our club sound like idiots whenever they open their mouths so I suppose it's a good thing that they've decided not to do so in the future. Even if they have to sound like idiots one last time to declare it.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Sad thing is this is probably the first CH knows about it as well.

Talking about promoting within, it dosnt sound like they have much faith in CH if they havnt extended his deal. Who s going to be the next manager Peter beardsley?

I understand that people think the statement is 'negative'. But where does it day we are not going to sign any further players?  I think that ashley and co have realised that it is better to under promise and over deliver rathe than over promise (as past boards have), raise expectations and then fall flat on our faces ( ie become a laughing stock). Get past the initial tone of statement and, as stated before, I really think it is a message more to agents and the media that we will not pay stupid prices for players.

btw, The above theory is based on the last transfer window so we will see if this theory is correct in a couple of months time. At this stage I say very smart statement. 

The people running our club sound like idiots whenever they open their mouths so I suppose it's a good thing that they've decided not to do so in the future. Even if they have to sound like idiots one last time to declare it.

Yep. And good on em. thy have realised they have no idea so they are saying we will Leave the footballing decisions to ch.