Club statement

Magpie

Guest Heneage

The sky is falling.

This is the first time I've read a statement, and been more confused having read it.

If it's sell before we buy I can't see us spending more than £10m and that's being generous. Could be getting some frees (Boyd, that fella from Getafe) and loans though.

Ah well, let's look forward to the Championship around August 2011 then.

Looking at the final table today - there is some absolute dross in the Premier League at present - I'm not sure it's quite as clear cut as that, but we'll certainly be very much up against it this coming season. Scraping survival is the target.

Unfortunately the club appears to be vastly overestimating the quality of the current squad, just like they did last time...

Nothing unsurprising unfortunately.

Pretty obvious there would be little / no money to spend.

Kind of saves on the months of OTT speculation and then the negative attention reaching boiling point at the start of the new season. Better it's out of the way now, if that's the way it's going to be.

(Very) hard work starts now.

Looking at the final table today - there is some absolute dross in the Premier League at present - I'm not sure it's quite as clear cut as that, but we'll certainly be very much up against it this coming season. Scraping survival is the target.

Unfortunately the club appears to be vastly overestimating the quality of the current squad, just like they did last time...

With Lampard mk2 and a one in two English striker up front I think they have it spot on  :doh:

Mongs yet again.

How can they state there'll be no capital outlay, then discuss talking to the agents of players re: buying them?

Loons

it depends on the definition of 'new' capital. it could simply mean the club will not take on further debt.

Fair enough - so sell before we can buy in other words?

not necessarily as extra revenue from next season wouldn't be classed as 'new' revenue under this definition. even then it depends on how much of that they want to put against the current debt.

for example if next season was to guarantee an extra £50mill then they could use 20mill on players and wages without calling it 'new' income.

:sadnod:

Anyone got any ideas why the board believed this statement to be necessary btw? There's certainly very little fan unrest, clamour for 'Ashley out' or rumours about the club being sold at present as far as I know.

If anything all it's going to do (and that bit about no spending on players in particular) is whip things up again.

Guest Heneage

Nothing unsurprising unfortunately.

Pretty obvious there would be little / no money to spend.

Kind of saves on the months of OTT speculation and then the negative attention reaching boiling point at the start of the new season. Better it's out of the way now, if that's the way it's going to be.

(Very) hard work starts now.

In some ways I'm not surprised, when we found players like Bassong for half a million, it would make sense to look for similar types of player. I think reading it back it's sending a message to clubs we intend to buy from that 'this is not the Newcastle of old.'

'the academy is brimming with talent'.  We've just let Wesley Ngo Baheng, Frank Wiafe Danquah, Jonny Godsmark, Darren Lough and Callum Morris all go, some of whom were reserve regulars and looked soon to be getting on the first team bench.  Can someone that regularly watches the youth teams (know theres a few on here) enlighten me of any that we could bleed into the first team soon?  That statement makes out we're overfilled with 'young talent' but past evidence and what we've seen this season, despite being in a league below where it might have been easier to fit them in, seems to suggest otherwise.

Is this a competition to analyze the statement in the worst possible way?

It's a nothing statement that tells us nothing.

Think this tells us alot actually

"The first team squad that won the Championship this year will form the basis of the team for next season in the Premier League. There is no plan for new capital outlay on players.

Wow, that makes no sense at all :lol:

Nice to know Mike and Derek are answering the 'give us more communication' by slamming and locking the door completely :thup:

Anyone got any ideas why the board believed this statement to be necessary btw? There's certainly very little fan unrest, clamour for 'Ashley out' or rumours about the club being sold at present as far as I know.

Hoping the fans will have exhausted their anger by the time the football starts again?

If anything all it's going to do (and that bit about no spending on players in particular) is whip things up again.

Gets the summer of disappointment in the transfer market out of the way early.  :dontknow: :(