Spain win World Cup 2010

ElDiablo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest mrainey

I'm pretty sure the Aussies and Canadians call it "Soccer" as well. You can't go around blaming the US for everything you know... take Thatcher for instance. I am pretty sure that's your fault... that and the opium wars of the 1880s.

:(

Deal, not everything, but the soccer thing - I'm keeping that. Kinda feels right.  :)

But seriously though, don't really care where it started & I'll always prefer the original term; cause ultimately it'll still be called/translated into "nogomet" in my native language, which is Croatian. Anyways, I'm off to google me some "Opium wars".

My knockout predictions.

Uruguay beats Korea :(

Ghana beats USA

Netherlands beats Slovakia

Brazil beats Chile

England beats Germany

Argentina beats Mexico

Paraguay beats Japan

Spain beats Portugal

Ghana beats Uruguay

Brazil beats Netherlands

Argentina beats England

Spain beats Paraguay

Brazil beats Ghana

Spain beats Argentina

Brazil beats Spain

My knockout predictions.

Uruguay beats Korea :(

Ghana beats USA

Netherlands beats Slovakia

Brazil beats Chile

England beats Germany

Argentina beats Mexico

Paraguay beats Japan

Spain beats Portugal

Ghana beats Uruguay

Brazil beats Netherlands

Argentina beats England

Spain beats Paraguay

Brazil beats Ghana

Spain beats Argentina

Brazil beats Spain

no upsets in there at all, i'd be amazed if all those games went to the favourites - someone will get turned over (England/Germany is a close call as they're similar stature obviously)

Ghanas finishing is pretty woeful, USA should win that game. Be very very suprised if they didnt.

Slovakia will be confident to, might give netherlands more of a game than expected.

Oh well at least Chile are through.

First COMNEBOL loss of the tournement. They should take away a place from Europe or Africa and give them another.

Who would they give it to? There's only 10 teams in CONMEBOL, 5 already in the Cup. I'd say that's pretty impressive representation already. Doing an incredible job this WC.

It was a bit tongue in cheek, but COMNEBOL and Asia will be demanding more spots from FIFA. Asia are obviously not that good, but with South Korea and Japan advancing countries like China will be pushing the population argument, whereas South America will be pushing the quality argument. Both will be saying that Europe and Africa don't deserve the representation they already have.

South Americans have an argument. Asia, not much.

CONMEBOL 5/5 advance

CONCACAF 3/2

AFC 4/2

UEFA 13/6

CAF 6/1

OFC 0/1

As happy as I am to see the South Koreans and Japanese progress, the idea of Asia getting another slot is nonsense. New Zealand got to South Africa by beating Bahrain. Costa Rica missed out by losing to Uruguay. I reckon that Costa Rica would take Bahrain as well.

Still  I'm not about to argue for another place for North America, there's dropoff between our top four (Mex, USA, Costa Rica, and Honduras) and the rest.  I miss the Ticos.

Also anyone notice that all six of the European teams that advanced play European competion in the round of 16? That means 3 of the last 8 will be from UEFA. I figure CONMEBOL will have 4.

First COMNEBOL loss of the tournement. They should take away a place from Europe or Africa and give them another.

Who would they give it to? There's only 10 teams in CONMEBOL, 5 already in the Cup. I'd say that's pretty impressive representation already. Doing an incredible job this WC.

It was a bit tongue in cheek, but COMNEBOL and Asia will be demanding more spots from FIFA. Asia are obviously not that good, but with South Korea and Japan advancing countries like China will be pushing the population argument, whereas South America will be pushing the quality argument. Both will be saying that Europe and Africa don't deserve the representation they already have.

CONMEBOL 5/5 advance

CONCACAF 3/2

AFC 4/2

UEFA 13/6

CAF 6/1

OFC 0/1

As happy as I am to see the South Koreans and Japanese progress, the idea of Asia getting another slot is nonsense. New Zealand got to South Africa by beating Bahrain. Costa Rica missed out by losing to Uruguay. I reckon that Costa Rica would take Bahrain as well.

Still  I'm not about to argue for another place for North America, there's dropoff between our top four (Mex, USA, Costa Rica, and Honduras) and the rest.  I miss the Ticos.

Also anyone notice that all six of the European teams that advanced play European competion in the round of 16? That means 3 of the last 8 will be from UEFA. I figure CONMEBOL will have 4.

I think the current allocation is spot on really. No need to change it.

If Portugal beat Spain, our potential next three opponents are essentially our three biggest tournament rivals/enemies of recent years. All three teams have weaknesses too (as, of course, do we). The motivation against any of them would be huge.

Looking at it optimistically, I think we could scrape past each of them. I just can't see any realistic way we could beat Brazil in the final. The only way we're winning this is if someone else knocks Brazil out for us IMO.

CONMEBOL 5/5 advance

CONCACAF 3/2

AFC 4/2

UEFA 13/6

CAF 6/1

OFC 0/1

Brazil always get an easy ride.

Uruguay beats Skorea

USA beats Ghana

Holland beats Slovakia

Brazil beats Chile

England beats Germany

Argentina beats Mexico

Paraguay beats Japan

Spain beats Portugal (have a bad feeling about this one though)

Uruguay beats USA

Brazil beats Holland

Argentina beats England

Spain beats Paraguay

Brazil beats Uruguay

Argentina beats Spain (just to be different. I hope Spain win it)

Brazil beats Argentina (Spain 3rd, Uruguay 4th)

You can clearly see it's not a foul, but it's not a dive either.

Torres kicks the guy's knee, loses his balance and trips himself up :lol:

I think it's a dive to be honest. He's felt the touch, then thrown himself.  No way that's a natural fall.

Uruguay beats Skorea

USA beats Ghana

Holland beats Slovakia

Brazil beats Chile

Germany beats England

Argentina beats Mexico

Paraguay beats Japan

Spain beats Portugal

Uruguay beats USA

Brazil beats Holland

Argentina beats Germany

Spain beats Paraguay

Brazil beats Uruguay

Argentina beats Spain

Brazil beats Argentina

You can clearly see it's not a foul, but it's not a dive either.

Torres kicks the guy's knee, loses his balance and trips himself up :lol:

I think it's a dive to be honest.  He's felt the touch, then thrown himself.  No way that's a natural fall.

He'd have to be quite clever to go from feeling the touch to banging the back of his own leg in miliseconds - if he really wanted to dive, he'd just collapse rather than trip himself like that.

I agree it doesn't appear a natural fall, but I think he fell because of his right foot hitting his left leg, and that looks accidental - unless I'm just being too trusting of Torres :laugh: