The Liverpool Thread

Parky

GC, beyond being labelled as you "doing a Spurs", do you think the likes of Markovic and Can will succeed in your team?

Also please for your own sake drop Johnson. :lol: An embarrassment of a defender.

I wish we were doing a Spurs. Spurs finished 3 points less than they did the season with Bale. We are doing far worse than "doing a Spurs". Poor Spurs get a bad reputation, but 69 points was actually a respectable tally.

I don't know about Markovic and haven't seen enough of him to make any judgment, but I like Can and the Spanish fullbacks. That's all. Lallana is a handy player too, though over-priced.

Lovren though man....I don't think I've ever actively hated a Liverpool player so much. It's approaching El-Hadj Diouf stage. The cunt wouldn't shut up about his wish to captain the side...He's pound for pound the worst signing I've seen us make. A LOT worse than Carroll. And i'm deadly serious.

Wish Rodgers had Rafa's balls to admit his mistake and get rid of this clown in January (like Rafa did with Keane). Worst thing is the snide instagram photos and comments of his wife everyone he doesn't play (either for Liverpool or Croatia). They are still laughing at him in Lyon.

Speaking of Johnson, watch his commitment to the cause (With some weekly Lovren comedy added) here. On that second goal

(Are Vines allowed here) ??

Some nice stats from the league table since Sturridge been injured ( 9 games now)

- Only Burnley, Leicester, and Villa have scored less than LFC

- Only Hull, QPR, and Villa have gotten less points than LFC

- Only Burnley, Villa, QPR, and Sunderland (8 in one game) have conceded more goals than LFC

- Only QPR and Villa have LOST more games than LFC

- No team has had less clean sheets than LFC

** This could potentially be worse if Villa win tonight. With Sturridge out til 2015 and 8 league games between them, relegation zone beckons by Christmas, unless Rodgers wakes up and drops his favourites and changes his approach.

Let's be honest, he's been finished for a while now in terms of being an important player in a "top 4" side. They're living in the past (no surprises there...) by refusing to drop him. Pure sentiment keeping him there.

He's saved by the odd game he bothers to give a s*** and is given carte blanche protection from the media. More often than not it's a boost for the opposition when they see his name in the line-up.

England would have gone to the next round in the World Cup if special captain fantabulous Gerard hadn't stunk up the place. He also has no personality whatsoever to go along with his rapidly declining footballing importance. Massive dig from Carragher saying there were "no men" out on the pitch yesterday.

I know it's fashionable and good time to say stuff like that, but let's not re-write history. England were utterly awful in every single sense and position at the WC and got exactly what they deserved. They would have gone out even without that Gerrard assist to Suarez.

Let's be honest, he's been finished for a while now in terms of being an important player in a "top 4" side. They're living in the past (no surprises there...) by refusing to drop him. Pure sentiment keeping him there.

He's saved by the odd game he bothers to give a s*** and is given carte blanche protection from the media. More often than not it's a boost for the opposition when they see his name in the line-up.

England would have gone to the next round in the World Cup if special captain fantabulous Gerard hadn't stunk up the place. He also has no personality whatsoever to go along with his rapidly declining footballing importance. Massive dig from Carragher saying there were "no men" out on the pitch yesterday.

I know it's fashionable and good time to say stuff like that, but let's not re-write history. England were utterly awful in every single sense and position at the WC and got exactly what they deserved. They would have gone out even without that Gerrard assist to Suarez.

Not at all. Gerrard was captain and his no show after mentally crumbling and throwing the title away was a huge factor to why England didn't turn up. It's still haunting him now. Every wayward pass sees him grimacing in pain as he has flashbacks to that moment. I've heard he can't even look at a sheep without breaking down in tears.

Not sure what Woy could have done mind, such a huge relief to him I'm sure when he retired.

Rodgers has backed himself into a corner with Gerrard really, he's talked him up so much he can't drop him now without looking like an idiot and incurring the wrath of a 'club legend' behind the scenes.

He must be praying Gerrard gets injured to take the decision away from him.

It'll define Rodgers imo, if he has the bottle to drop him now and start getting results then he'll get a lot of respect and more time but if he just keeps Pardewing it then he's done.

Rodgers has backed himself into a corner with Gerrard really, he's talked him up so much he can't drop him now without looking like an idiot and incurring the wrath of a 'club legend' behind the scenes.

It'll define Rodgers imo, if he has the bottle to drop him now and start getting results then he'll get a lot of respect and more time but if he just keeps Pardewing it then he's done.

There's no guarantee that dropping Gerrard will allow them to start winning games. He is a problem but not the only big problem they have

There's no guarantee that dropping Gerrard will allow them to start winning games. He is a problem but not the only big problem they have

Of course there's no guarantee but imo it would be a major step in the right direction. It's all very Pardew-esque tbh and look what happened to him once injuries allowed, or in his case forced, him to change it.

It's not fashionable at all. I've been saying this since the season before last about him. He's totally finished, and has been for a while.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Rodgers got binned and Gerrard took over as player/manager as a stop-gap. The players rallied around to get Hodgson sacked (the improvement in performances and effort was as embarrassing once he left) and it looks like they're going down the same route now. They're pathetic.

Why are they not playing that Lucas guy? There was a Liverpool fan I talked to not so long ago that claimed he was one of the best in his position in the world....

Think he's declined quite a bit due to not playing. Allen's played decent every time I've seen him this season. Nowhere near a £15mil player though

Has any manager ever been sacked so soon after almost winning a title?

Also is Henry a pull the trigger type historically? Dalglish was a different kettle of fish imo.

Just don't see him getting sacked unless he literally has them fighting relegation. Pardew has just proven how quickly things can turn around in this league due to it's shitness and tightness from the top couple down.

Reading through some of his quotes again :lol:

My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence.

I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings.

I always say a squad is like a good meal – I’m not a great cook but a good meal takes a wee bit of time, but also to offer a good meal you need good ingredients.

I’ve always worked along the statistic, that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning a game of football.

We play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper.

You train dogs, I like to educate players.

Reading through some of his quotes again :lol:

My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence.

I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings.

I always say a squad is like a good meal – I’m not a great cook but a good meal takes a wee bit of time, but also to offer a good meal you need good ingredients.

I’ve always worked along the statistic, that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning a game of football.

We play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper.

You train dogs, I like to educate players.

:lol:

The problem with dropping Gerrard is what other options do they have? The DM/CM options are not exactly inspiring.

The biggest issue is the need to replace him was and has been completely ignored.

That's an awful argument Jack.

Every other midfielder has at least got some sort of positional awareness about him. There is no need to build a team around a player whose contract expires in a few months and is 34 already. His deep position worked in second half of last season, when Suarez/Sturridge were making constant runs making themselves available for a long pass...One is in sunny Spain, and another is thanking Jesus all the time on Twitter. No point in having him there anymore. Not to mention, the man is coming up the biggest heart-break of his career that no doubt will haunt him for the rest of his life. He is mentally broken...He knows his chance is gone. It's unfortunate, but time to move on and build around players who will be here for longer time.

And aye, Rodgers' quotes about Spurs "when you spend 100M, you have to be challenging for the title" and Southampton "I have no pity for them, maybe their aspirations aren't ambitious enough" is making him look a right tit at the moment.

I usually have a lot of sympathy with Liverpool managers (Still absolutely love and follow Rafa to this day), but Rodgers IS digging his own grave now, and he can't blame anyone else. Not at all. It's all his-doing. and he can still FIX this mess, but he's running out of time.

Grow a pair and make some big fucking calls. That's what separates the top tier from the also-rans.

More quotes:

1. ”It was a perfect away performance, apart from the first 10 minutes.”

2. “I’ve always said that you can live without water for many days, but you can’t live for a second without hope.”

3. On Luis Suarez: “He is a real warrior of spirit.”

4. “My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence.”

5. “I am not a power freak.” (We think the lady doth protest too much!)

6. “I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings.”

7. “When we have the football, everybody’s a player.”

8. “You train dogs, I like to educate players.”

9. ‘I think there’s three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything – and I have written them down already in these three envelopes. Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes.”

10.”I use a quote with the players,“Per aspera ad astra”, which is Latin for ‘through adversity to the stars’.”

11. “When you’ve got the ball 65-70% of the time, it’s a football death for the other team. We’re not at that stage yet, but that’s what we will get to. It’s death by football. You just suck the life out of them.”

12. “Joe Allen is one of the most courageous players I’ve seen.

13. “I will leave no stone unturned in my quest – and that quest will be relentless.”

14. “I always say a squad is like a good meal – I’m not a great cook but a good meal takes a wee bit of time, but also to offer a good meal you need good ingredients.”

15. “All I’ll ever do is all I’ve ever done in any job, and that’s promise to fight for my life for the people of the city.”

16. On the ‘Being: Liverpool’ documentary: “It was something I didn’t watch, and thankfully it’s over.”

17. “I’ve always worked along the statistic, that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning a game of football.”

18. “I believe a young player will run through a barbed wire fence for you. An older player looks for a hole in the fence. SanToon, he just trips over the fence.”

19. “The problem with being a manager is it’s like trying to build an aircraft while it is flying.”

20. “We play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper.”

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/liverpool/157398/top-20-brilliantly-cringeworthy-brendan-rodgers-quotes.html

And that 79%:

“I think in terms of the tactical element of the game I’ve never been one… I don’t enjoy the percentage. There are some times you’ve got to kick it long, you’ve got to go that little bit longer. I’ve always enjoyed, I’ve always worked along the statistic, that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning a game of football. So if you’re better than the other team with the ball you’ve got an 8 out of 10 chance, nearly, of winning the game. And that’s what that does, the ability to play out from behind."

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/09/transcript-the-brendan-rodgers-interview/

Why are they not playing that Lucas guy? There was a Liverpool fan I talked to not so long ago that claimed he was one of the best in his position in the world....

So what? According to them every other member of the "Liverpool family" is one of the best players in his position in the world apart from Messi and CRonaldo. We just haven't seen it yet.

The problem with dropping Gerrard is what other options do they have? The DM/CM options are not exactly inspiring.

The biggest issue is the need to replace him was and has been completely ignored.

Can - Henderson with Lallana just ahead of them makes a lot more sense than the current version with both Gerard and Allen in it. It's still not a world class midfield or anywhere near it, but I bet it would be a damn sight more competitive, and a lot less static. Can may not yet be the finished article, but he comes from a solid technical background, and could easily hold his own in the league, playing the "easier" games.