The Liverpool Thread

Parky

I actually think he'd be a really good choice for them, and I would find it hard to dislike him, which is a shame.

A lot of people on here seem to think this. May I ask why exactly? Apart from a promotion from league 1 with Swansea and keeping Wigan in the Premiership by the grid of their teeth what has Martinez ever done to suggest he's ready for a job like managing Liverpool? As somebody said earlier, if Wigan's good run would have come earlier in the season and their "normal" form towards the end with them finishing in the exact same position, would anybody even be contemplating this as a viable possibility let alone a good idea?

If they appoint Martinez it will be an unmitigated disaster, not only because the Liverpool fans will be on his back at the first sign of trouble, but also because there's nothing in Martinez' record that suggest he is or will ever be ready for such a big job. Or am I missing something here?

I think the theory is that he knows how to select the right system and play good football, so with better players he will do better. And he's young and has potential to get better.

How does he know how to select the right system - is this the fabled move to 343 late in the season that worked out well in the end? If so, why didn't he move to it earlier in the season and instead had them in a position where they were almost a certainty for going down? Whatever it is that gets Wigan going when the pressure is off and it's backs to the wall I'm not sure how it's applicable in a context like Liverpool's where he'll be expected to have them challenging at the top end of the table. The fact is young and has the potential to get better is true for every young(ish) manager. He also has the potential to fail miserably and get worse. Personally, I would rather appoint someone with the required experience for a job as complicated and challenging as this if I was their owners. And I include somebody like AVB in that if they want to go young and promising, which would be understandable.

I think the theory is that he knows how to select the right system and play good football, so with better players he will do better. And he's young and has potential to get better.

How does he know how to select the right system - is this the fabled move to 343 late in the season that worked out well in the end? If so, why didn't he move to it earlier in the season and instead had them in a position where they were almost a certainty for going down? Whatever it is that gets Wigan going when the pressure is off and it's backs to the wall I'm not sure how it's applicable in a context like Liverpool's where he'll be expected to have them challenging at the top end of the table. The fact is young and has the potential to get better is true for every young(ish) manager. He also has the potential to fail miserably and get worse. Personally, I would rather appoint someone with the required experience for a job as complicated and challenging as this if I was their owners. And I include somebody like AVB in that if they want to go young and promising, which would be understandable.

Going by your logic Pep Guardiola wouldn't have been appointed by Barça. Experience is completely over-rated, each situation is different and there's no way of guaranteeing one person will do a good job no matter their track record. Perhaps it's actually better their owners think outside of the box and take a risk considering the experienced route has completely fucked them over so far and cost them a shit load of money. I don't think he's as weak as you suggest, he can serve up better football than his predecessor(s) and at a smaller price.

Whey I meant 'potential' as in he seems to know what he's doing etc. Not just time to get either better or worse.

I agree with some of the doubts though, it is worrying that he manages to get Wigan playing during the last quarter of the season but not the other three.

I actually think he'd be a really good choice for them, and I would find it hard to dislike him, which is a shame.

A lot of people on here seem to think this. May I ask why exactly? Apart from a promotion from league 1 with Swansea and keeping Wigan in the Premiership by the grid of their teeth what has Martinez ever done to suggest he's ready for a job like managing Liverpool? As somebody said earlier, if Wigan's good run would have come earlier in the season and their "normal" form towards the end with them finishing in the exact same position, would anybody even be contemplating this as a viable possibility let alone a good idea?

If they appoint Martinez it will be an unmitigated disaster, not only because the Liverpool fans will be on his back at the first sign of trouble, but also because there's nothing in Martinez' record that suggest he is or will ever be ready for such a big job. Or am I missing something here?

I can see it now. Gerraaahh and Carraaaghhh chatting away ignoring the tactics talk and then the dressing room goes silent...They aren't sure if they misheard Martinez...Did he say 3 at the black??!!!