James Perch

BeloEmre

Best of our back four today. Of course people will slate me for saying that since certain people on here have their favourites who never has a bad game and is always better than the rest but so be it.

He made a class tackle after about 10 minutes, sliding in the box, got up and played a mint ball down the line - and the whole stadium applauded him for it. He seemed to take heart from that, and he played really well. Coloccini was quite poor on two of the three goals tonight, Perch actually looked areet for once.

He's giving goals away in nearly every game. An utterly terrible defender. Championship standard at very best. Other than that tackle at the start I thought he was fuckin shit. His aimless long balls under pressure were painful too.

Guest washeymag

I heard a rumor that Alex Ferguson team talk to nite was pretend Perch is playing for Fulham and express yourself s  :iamatwat:

Please send Perch back with Santa on Saturday night please

Merry Xmas to all

Thought he played well tonight. Colo had a shocker.

Agreed. Fair play to Perch tonight, done well again. Couple of really good tackles where we've come away with the ball in some form or another when we had no real right to.

Guest neesy111

He may look like he played well, but he's a complete utter liability.  Shocking ball watching on 2nd and 3rd goals like he did v Norwich as well.  He's a good tackler hence why I think he's a better midfielder.

A few decent looking tackles shouldn't mask the fact that for both the 2nd an 3rd goals he left his man and was ball watching. Colo had a poor game, but at least he has a track record. Bramble used to put in the odd Hollywood tackle, it didn't make his general defending any better.

• 5 weeks later...

It would have been nice if he could have come on for Shola while we were ahead to give some defensive cover but their goals hit us too quickly so I don't want to be guilty of hindsight. I do think it's a bit daft to have two big men up front who aren't prolific goalscorers away from home as a general rule.

Don't want him at centre half, think he's a liability however i have to say when he has come on in games and played in midfield i don't think he's done much wrong, he comes on, gets his foot in and just keeps it simple.  I've just read some of the match thread today and the OTT reaction to him coming on was ridiculous.  While some might have queried why he replaced Guthrie,  before people jump up and down and complain its worth remembering that Guthrie was a slight doubt before the game, as was Cabaye so no suprise they were taking off in the 2nd half with the game out of reach.