Harry Redknapp

Tooj

Would Spurs sack him if he got a short jail term?

I can't think of any precedent for it with managers but we didn't sack Barton, Arsenal didn't sack Adams, Gillingham didn't sack King, Rangers didn't sack Ferguson...

They wouldn't sack him if he was found guilty but given a non-custodial sentence.

Thing is, if he was to get a suspended sentence, it's effectively one step from Jail.... If the offence hadn't been in relation to footballing matters, I'd agree with you but it's bringing the game in to disprepute.

For the media chug-a-thon that has gone on over Redknapp recently, the vultures would almost certainly start to circle in the event of a guilty verdict. If he was an honourable man he would walk away anyway, but he's a greedy bastard if what has been reported so far is true.........

If he isn't jailed then the club would be daft to sack him (guilty or not), and I couldn't blame them at all for keeping him on.

I know people like to pretend he's a shit manager and bring bollocks up like his signings at West Ham, but he's done fucking fantastic at Spurs and they're playing some of the best football to watch in the league. Getting a new man in at this point would be mental.

Would Spurs sack him if he got a short jail term?

I can't think of any precedent for it with managers but we didn't sack Barton, Arsenal didn't sack Adams, Gillingham didn't sack King, Rangers didn't sack Ferguson...

Bit different. You can cope without a player but not a manager. Arsenal did sack George Graham, St Mirren sacked the other Ferguson.

It'll be interesting to see on what grounds his defence is, bearing in mind he has to try and prove he didn't get this money paid in to an offshore account to avoid the taxman.

Given the media attention that will be attracted to this case, and the cost of bringing it to court, the CPS must be fairly confident of a result here.

I don't think he'd get locked up if he is found guilty, perhaps a suspended sentence as has been mentioned, but his integrity will come under close scrutiny.  There's no way he could really continue in charge of Spurs and the FA will not touch him with a bargepole. Wouldn't surprise me if there are a few super injunctions hanging on the outcome of this trial around brown paper envelopes and the like.

Given the alleged sums involved... tax and NI on £180k is £90k. Page 30 of this doc says he's going down..

http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/web_sentencing_for_fraud_statutory_offences.pdf

Another interesting thing is that Peter Storrie was charged at the same time. There has been no reports of the charges against him being dropped. Highly probable he has already pleaded guilty and a reporting blackout was put in place as this would potentially influence the outcome of the trial.

Woukd be interested to hear what the spurs fans made of the trial?

TBH I haven't looked into it too much because I guessed it was going to be open-and-shut, didn't think it would go to court otherwise. As someone said, it looks like Storrie has 'fessed up. We're still at the stage where we've only heard the prosecution, so I'm interested to hear what the defense will be! There have only been two questions for me - what sentence he's likely to get (really anybody's guess, so nothing I can say about that) and what Spurs are likely to do.

I trust that Levy has got a plan in place for a replacement if need be, particularly as there is always a chance that 'arry will decide to walk away. My gut instinct is that we'll stick by 'arry inasmuch as we'll not sack him. Thank Christ Levy has retained control over transfers etc. I suspect that Levy and 'arry have been having conversations about the tax stuff from day one. If 'arry does stay, then Levy clearly has the upper hand in contract negotiations/transfer dealings etc.

Glory Glory to put 'Mr Redknapp is not crooked' under all users sigs?

:lol:

Actually, that's a fair point. Which other club/site would do what RAWK did?

One thing I don't understand - a few people have said that he should only get sacked if he gets a custodial sentence. That sounds like you're saying that it doesn't matter if he's guilty or not, but does matter if he gets put away and can't manage the team. Or do you think that by getting put away it automatically becomes a grave enough offence to warrant the boot?

It will be interesting to see how the media treats him afterwards. Weirdly, if he stays on but loses his media jobs and shuts up a bit more, he might actually become a better manager.

Glory Glory to put 'Mr Redknapp is not crooked' under all users sigs?

:lol:

Actually, that's a fair point. Which other club/site would do what RAWK did?

One thing I don't understand - a few people have said that he should only get sacked if he gets a custodial sentence. That sounds like you're saying that it doesn't matter if he's guilty or not, but does matter if he gets put away and can't manage the team. Or do you think that by getting put away it automatically becomes a grave enough offence to warrant the boot?

It will be interesting to see how the media treats him afterwards. Weirdly, if he stays on but loses his media jobs and shuts up a bit more, he might actually become a better manager.

You know that's simply not going to happen as long as he's in the game.....

Absolutely fantastic manager. Dont know how anyone can deny it.

Bit over the top - he's clearly done a very good job at Spurs, but I wouldn't say the rest of his CV is outstanding.

He kept Pompey up and guided them to an FA Cup victory, then took Spurs from the bottom of the league to their first ever Champions League within a couple of year, he's currently by some distance the best English manager in the game. The rest of his CV is irrelevant.

As usual from swissramble, well-written and can't really argue with much of it - although don't forget he's an Arsenal fan.

The only qualifier is that you simply cannot argue against what he has achieved in the last couple of years. The question for us at Spurs has to be, who can we bring in who would have the same success. Levy has to get a lot of credit for building the squad, but many of the players have clearly thrived under 'arry's apparent laissez-faire attitude towards tactics (I'd argue Modric, VDV, Bale in particular.)