Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest neesy111

Don't kid yourself. It's about recruiting young players for the long term plan of selling them on for profit.

As part of "a five year plan to break even" no doubt

that break even, is to payback the debt so we are debt-free!  we will defo break even this season

I doubt that, we're already over three years into his plan after all.

i meant break even in regards to this season's books

Even if the plan is to buy young and sell on at profit then he is a fool not buying him for 5 or 6m. At worst we will break even on him if he is shite.

Aye cos if nobody else is up for him now, they'll all be piling in if he can't hack it in the Prem. :coolsmiley:

Bored with this budget talk zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So am I, but not for the same reason. The people saying we don't really know what's going on money wise are partly right of course, as are those who are doing some guesswork and concluding there must be money available. For me, the money side is largely irrelevant. From my point of view, the fans of this club should have a different interest than the owner. What good is it to us if we balance the books so Ashley can walk away with a tidy profit in a few years time? As far as I am concerned I think the fans should demand that the club aspires to be the best it possibly can. We pay out huge amounts of money on season tickets, drinks and food at the matches, fan shop articles etcetera. We do so (from a business point of view) because we enjoy the products that NUFC offers. This club has a huge following (read: turnover) because in recent past it offered a top notch product. In recent years, the quality of the product on offer has gone down substantially, but we have remained loyal. It is in NUFC's interest to make sure it remains so, and for that (like in every other company) investments are needed. I don't particularly care how they do it, or if a certain player cost the club 1 million or 20 million, as long as the club continues to offer quality in return for our personal investment. The internal balancing of the books is important, but ultimately largely irrelevant for the fans (bar going to the point of risking the very existence of the club).

The bottom line is the people in charge of this club need to consider themselves "caretakers" of the club, and their success should be measured by how much they take us forward (or not), not how much profit they manage to squeeze out of us over the years of their tenure (which coincidentally I don't object to them doing; they should be rewarded if they take us forward. They shouldn't be when they fail to do so however imho). If Ashley didn't understand this when he bought us then he has no business being a Premiership football club owner. Football is a highly emotional "business" proposition, and managing a football club does not have much semblance to managing a sport article shop.

Regardless of the money involved, Ashley has a moral duty to make sure we don't go backwards after he has just been bailed out by Hughton's excellent work last season. If he can't muster that, it will be another nail in his coffin in a growing chain of foolish decisions since he has taken us over. This off-season he had the opportunity to turn around the tide and get in a more favourable position with the fans than he has been for a while. I will be baffled if he doesn't take that chance purely for short term personal financial gain.

So am I, but not for the same reason. The people saying we don't really know what's going on money wise are partly right of course, as are those who are doing some guesswork and concluding there must be money available. For me, the money side is largely irrelevant. From my point of view, the fans of this club should have a different interest than the owner. What good is it to us if we balance the books so Ashley can walk away with a tidy profit in a few years time? As far as I am concerned I think the fans should demand that the club aspires to be the best it possibly can. We pay out huge amounts of money on season tickets, drinks and food at the matches, fan shop articles etcetera. We do so (from a business point of view) because we enjoy the products that NUFC offers. This club has a huge following (read: turnover) because in recent past it offered a top notch product. In recent years, the quality of the product on offer has gone down substantially, but we have remained loyal. It is in NUFC's interest to make sure it remains so, and for that (like in every other company) investments are needed. I don't particularly care how they do it, or if a certain player cost the club 1 million or 20 million, as long as the club continues to offer quality in return for our personal investment. The internal balancing of the books is important, but ultimately largely irrelevant for the fans (bar going to the point of risking the very existence of the club).

The bottom line is the people in charge of this club need to consider themselves "caretakers" of the club, and their success should be measured by how much they take us forward (or not), not how much profit they manage to squeeze out of us over the years of their tenure (which coincidentally I don't object to them doing; they should be rewarded if they take us forward. They shouldn't be when they fail to do so imho however). If Ashley didn't understand this when he bought us then he has no business being a Premiership football club owner. Football is a highly emotional "business" proposition, and managing a football club does not have much semblance to managing a sport article shop.

Regardless of the money involved, Ashley has a moral duty to make sure we don't go backwards after he has just been bailed out by Hughton's actual work last season. If he can't muster that, it will be another nail in his coffin in a growing chain of foolish decisions since he has taken us over. This off-season he had the opportunity to turn around the tide and get in a more favourable position with the fans than he has been for a while. I will be baffled if he doesn't take that chance purely for short term personal financial gain.

On the nail.

The bottom line is the people in charge of this club need to consider themselves "caretakers" of the club, and their success should be measured by how much they take us forward (or not), not how much profit they manage to squeeze out of us over the years of their tenure (which coincidentally I don't object to them doing; they should be rewarded if they take us forward. They shouldn't be when they fail to do so imho however). If Ashley didn't understand this when he bought us then he has no business being a Premiership football club owner. Football is a highly emotional "business" proposition, and managing a football club does not have much semblance to managing a sport article shop.

Regardless of the money involved, Ashley has a moral duty to make sure we don't go backwards after he has just been bailed out by Hughton's actual work last season. If he can't muster that, it will be another nail in his coffin in a growing chain of foolish decisions since he has taken us over. This off-season he had the opportunity to turn around the tide and get in a more favourable position with the fans than he has been for a while. I will be baffled if he doesn't take that chance purely for short term personal financial gain.

On the nail.

Seconded

Hmm, but what if they move the club forward through terrible financial management that leaves us in significant debt? Don't see how you can totally disregard that, it's an important part of being a good 'caretaker'.

We're talking £5 mill for chrissakes not Leeds or Pompey spending proportions.

The bottom line is the people in charge of this club need to consider themselves "caretakers" of the club, and their success should be measured by how much they take us forward (or not), not how much profit they manage to squeeze out of us over the years of their tenure (which coincidentally I don't object to them doing; they should be rewarded if they take us forward. They shouldn't be when they fail to do so however imho). If Ashley didn't understand this when he bought us then he has no business being a Premiership football club owner. Football is a highly emotional "business" proposition, and managing a football club does not have much semblance to managing a sport article shop.

Regardless of the money involved, Ashley has a moral duty to make sure we don't go backwards after he has just been bailed out by Hughton's excellent work last season. If he can't muster that, it will be another nail in his coffin in a growing chain of foolish decisions since he has taken us over. This off-season he had the opportunity to turn around the tide and get in a more favourable position with the fans than he has been for a while. I will be baffled if he doesn't take that chance purely for short term personal financial gain.

Have to say that while I have understood the need to balance the books after Shepherd's reckless stint, I am of the opinion that Ashley should have used promotion as a springboard to really put us back on the map. Nothing daft, just signing the likes of Arfa on a permanent deal rather than fucking about with half-arsed loan deals. If Ashley doesn't invest he's in danger of killing the season before it began, and I don't think people will keep coughing up for season tickets with nothing to look forward to.

Hopefully Ashley is just keeping his cards close to his chest and will shock us all with a big money move for a striker. /straws#clutch etc

Hmm, but what if they move the club forward through terrible financial management that leaves us in significant debt? Don't see how you can totally disregard that, it's an important part of being a good 'caretaker'.

We're talking £5 mill for chrissakes not Leeds or Pompey spending proportions.

The post I was commenting on was on the principle of not judging owners based on finance, not just on this transfer.

I'm not totally disregarding that, hence why I draw the line at the point where it seriously endangers the existence of the football club. You are right, the first priority is to keep the club alive. I am not certain how withholding investment and seriously risking another, possibly fatal relegation (and that's not even mentioning alienating the fans who are the life and blood of this club) for a short term financial gain is contributing to that top priority though..

The money should be made available to sign him. We've spent virtually nothing since we got promoted, trimmed the wage bill, received a wedge of cash for going up, sold loads (30k??) of season tickets, increased sponsorship/advertising and signed a new deal with Puma.

If the club can't make £4m available now then we may as well not bother trying to stay up. Pay the money and get the lad in and playing ffs.

My thoughts entirely. Players like this at these prices don't come along often.

What good is it to us if we balance the books so Ashley can walk away with a tidy profit in a few years

I stopped reading when I read this. I'd love to see how Ashley could possibly walk away with a profit now.