Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

A loan deal (with or without an option to buy) could and should have been sewn up weeks ago for the lad. Squabbling over a few hundred grand is going to cost us.

Good players cost good money. :hmm: 

How exactly? Am I wrong in remebering that Marseille pulled out of the agreement?

Depends on who and what you believe. I believe there was a deal to be done weeks ago before it generated into a saga and we fudged it because we were tight c***s. That's my belief and I've got no way of proving or disproving it btw.

Wasn't that deal dependant on us buying him if we stayed up or he played 25 league games. Would you have agreed to that if it was your decision?

Yes - in a heartbeat.

Why? That presents numerous problems, just look at Dindane's loan to Pompey for one example. It's a heck of a gamble.

If it didn't work out we'd still sell him on for a small profit or loss. He's a quality player and clubs are always looking for good players and most are prepared to pay for them. Not exactly rocket science tbh.

Guest Heneage

A loan deal (with or without an option to buy) could and should have been sewn up weeks ago for the lad. Squabbling over a few hundred grand is going to cost us.

How exactly? Am I wrong in remebering that Marseille pulled out of the agreement?

Depends on who and what you believe. I believe there was a deal to be done weeks ago before it generated into a saga and we fudged it because we were tight c***s. That's my belief and I've got no way of proving or disproving it btw.

Wasn't that deal dependant on us buying him if we stayed up or he played 25 league games. Would you have agreed to that if it was your decision?

Yes - in a heartbeat.

Why? That presents numerous problems, just look at Dindane's loan to Pompey for one example. It's a heck of a gamble.

If it didn't work out we'd still sell him on for a small profit or loss. He's a quality player and clubs are always looking for good players and most are prepared to pay for them. Not exactly rocket science tbh.

If these clubs are always looking for quality players how do you explain the lack of interest this time round? You have to remember he's essentially fallen out with 2 clubs, if it happens again why would anyone bother?

If Tottenham succeed in going through tomorrow and they go on to sign all these top players they're supposedly after, then we should really try and see if we can get Giovanni Dos Santos off them. Dos Santos shares similar qualities and would be a really good alternative.

If Tottenham succeed in going through tomorrow and they go on to sign all these top players they're supposedly after, then we should really try and see if we can get Giovanni Dos Santos off them. Dos Santos shares similar qualities and would be a really good alternative.

I'd rather have O'Hara than Dos Santos. I still would like Ben Arfa, though I have said all along it won't happen. I don't believe a word of the crap about other English clubs being interested in him, it smells of OM trying to get more out of him and the fact that those clubs would have jumped to get him when we agreed a fee for him and when he came to Newcastle, they wouldn't of risked losing him to us.

Guest Heneage

He's quality. He'll always be in demand from clubs who have a manager who can handle his type of character. He'll always have offers.

How many times have you watched him?

Yes - in a heartbeat.

That's just risible nonsense, man.

No one wants to fork out anything for him right now, despite his obvious talent and Marseille being desperate to get rid. Yet you'd expect us to make a profit on this obvious loon and trouble-maker after a season that "didn't work out"?

@Funguslover From what I've been told it seems as though a permanent future fee was agreed but #ben #arfas wage (cont) 

.#Marc #Wilson of #Portsmouth a very real prospect. Prospective talks have taken place but very early days. #nufc.

Hmm we'll see shall we

Marc Wilson would be a cracking signing. Another name in the hat for RB, CB or Central mid.

Buy him and shift Alan Smith out the door.

I believe that the additional complication here is that Ben Arfa has fallen out with his agent / adviser and isn't co-operating with any efforts to find a club other than us. I'm sure that if Arsenal or Man U got involved then his interest might be re-awakened, but I can't see that happening.

So I think all these random statements that are fed to the French press about this, that or the other club, are just covering up the fact that, at the moment, nothing is happening.

@Funguslover From what I've been told it seems as though a permanent future fee was agreed but #ben #arfas wage (cont) 

.#Marc #Wilson of #Portsmouth a very real prospect. Prospective talks have taken place but very early days. #nufc.

Hmm we'll see shall we

Marc Wilson would be a cracking signing. Another name in the hat for RB, CB or Central mid.

Buy him and shift Alan Smith out the door.

Marc Wilson :smitten:

Yes - in a heartbeat.

Jesus.  :lol:

Remind me again what Marseille paid for him?

Liverpool have also been linked with Carlton Cole, who seems a more likely target. They looked seriously short of muscle power up front against Man City.

They already have Joe Cole for Ben Arfa's position.