Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest BooBoo

It's really annoying when you see this thread at the top of the board, think something has developed and then realise it's just a few posts of gibberish. :(

Quote from the Marseille chairman in the last 10 minutes.

http://www.mercato365.com/infos-clubs/marseille/article_439697_Marseille-Dassier-parle-transferts.shtml

Jean-Claude Dassier also mentioned the Hatem Ben Arfa situation, chased by Newcastle. "We must wait, discussions are ongoing".

Whether in the original question the interviewer mentioned Newcastle and he answered that, or whether it was just a general status of Ben Arfa's situation would be interesting to know.

Ben Arfa quotes from tonight.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2010/20100801_231125_-on-n-a-pas-ete-realiste.html

For his part, Hatem Ben Arfa scored in what may be his last ever match with Marseille before he departs (Newcastle?).

"Winning is good, and to score is good for your confidence. It was pleasing to win this match as we've been playing well. Tonight, I am still a Marseillais. After that, we will see." said the attacking midfielder, who didn't celebrate his goal this evening.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2010/20100801_225834_l-om-se-fait-plaisir.html

Nothing really groundbreaking in the match report, but the reporter on his goal "celebration".

"The young attacking-midfielder, who's on the verge of leaving, didn't celebrate his goal. Mind already on Newcastle? Nevertheless....."

Equipe seem to be all over the Newcastle link still.

Would be very surprised if he comes, infact if he does sign I will go as far as get the new home kit with his name on the back. Unfortunately I don't think I will be wasting my money :(

I think the French papers are pushing the Newcastle angle because HBA being the saviour of one of  English football's most interesting clubs makes for a better story than him going to Hoffenheim or Werder which would be a similar situation to his current one.

French certainly seem to love the romanticism in football don't they.

Would be very surprised if he comes, infact if he does sign I will go as far as get the new home kit with his name on the back. Unfortunately I don't think I will be wasting my money :(

I second this.

I don't bemoan this, I very much appreciate any updates, however it all seems to good to be true so I am going to be as cynical as fuck about it so I don't get my hopes up.

He isn't coming!

;)

I was talking about Sewelly. ;)

The lack of rumours is boring. I liked that day when were linked to every player under the sun.

Oh I know man. I go stupid during silly season, fluctuating between optimism and total negative cynic on a regular basis.  :laugh:

:lol:

Seriously, I'll be weighing up the possibilities of the transfer one minute, considering where he'll fit in etc and then I'll shoot myself down by telling myself it's impossible and wont happen.

Total schizo really.

I'm assuming these quotes are from the same interview from L'Equipe but in a bit more depth, but Ben Arfa actually mentions us himself.

http://www.mercato365.com/infos-clubs/marseille/article_439702_Marseille-Ben-Arfa-reste-vague.shtml

"Tonight, I'm still a Marseillais. At the moment, I am there. But after, we will see...Newcastle? There's been contact with a few clubs, but for the time being I am still a Marseille player. I'm training hard, and when they make the call, I'm there. There's still a fair way to go in the transfer window, and there'll be arrivals as well as people leaving. We're only at August 1st."