Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

I understand caution but if he is back in full training now 6 weeks seems a bit much.

Early-October then, just think he should receive as much rehab as possible. He's 'earmarked' for Forest away? Wouldn't want him to feature in that match whatsoever when we have Blackburn at home a few days later...

Would he be 'ready' to start away at Wolves the following weekend. Wouldn't want him involved in that at all, tbh.

I understand caution but if he is back in full training now 6 weeks seems a bit much.

Early-October then, just think he should receive as much rehab as possible. He's 'earmarked' for Forest away? Wouldn't want him to feature in that match whatsoever when we have Blackburn at home a few days later...

Would he be 'ready' to start away at Wolves the following weekend. Wouldn't want him involved in that at all, tbh.

:thup:

We are getting very excited about a couple of games that he's played.

One tremendous goal but are our expectations overly high?

This. This will not be a popular post but he joined a newly promoted side for a reason. His talent obviously stands out within 10 minutes of watching him but there are other questions about him. I recall his debut from the bench v Blackpool - we were desperate for a goal but he didnt exactly seem gripped by urgency - spent a lot of time dribbling down blind alleys.

Heres nufc.coms comment for his game v Stoke:

"Hughton had already chosen to bring off the aimless Ben Arfa in favour of Jonas Gutierrez which did increase our presence down the left flank - the Frenchman having seemingly occupied a free role across the front line. That ploy had failed to provide Andy Carroll with any sort of support up front."

Just offering a counterpoint to the idea that he is the second coming. I think hes got the potential to be a sensation for us in the right system, but Im not expecting consistently brilliant performances from him, at least not right away.

I don't think that many are expecting that much though Alex, obviously exciting for various reasons. 

There is a clear lack of creativity, a huge gap between midfield and the forwards, plus Shola is starting games.  I can totally understand peoples optimism.

Lets just never play him ever.

If I was boss, which I'm not, I would leave him out of the match against Forest entirely. I'd give him 20/25 minutes against Blackburn (if we are say 2-0 up in the 70th minute) if his rehabilitation is complete.

I'd have him in the match squad for Wolves away (1 Oct), but given their reputation (which frankly, is deserved) I wouldn't consider bringing him on.

With a few reserve matches (or friendlies) under his belt during International week he would ideally be able to start against Spurs on October 16.

Guest mimifrench

This. This will not be a popular post but he joined a newly promoted side for a reason. His talent obviously stands out within 10 minutes of watching him but there are other questions about him. I recall his debut from the bench v Blackpool - we were desperate for a goal but he didnt exactly seem gripped by urgency - spent a lot of time dribbling down blind alleys.

"Hughton had already chosen to bring off the aimless Ben Arfa in favour of Jonas Gutierrez which did increase our presence down the left flank - the Frenchman having seemingly occupied a free role across the front line. That ploy had failed to provide Andy Carroll with any sort of support up front."

Just offering a counterpoint to the idea that he is the second coming. I think hes got the potential to be a sensation for us in the right system, but Im not expecting consistently brilliant performances from him, at least not right away.

Don't you think you're passing from one extreme to another ?

I mean, what did you expect of him in the game against Blackpool ? To score a hattrick and make 3 assists in 17 minutes ?

Also, against Stoke it was only his third match in a newcastle shirt... 

Tell me please how much time it has been before your "main players" (Carroll, Gutierrez, Enrique..) play very good for you and settle in your team ? Maybe more than 3 matches...

If you think that he will change your all team and your game, then yes, your expectations are overly high.

Added to this the fact that he broke his leg...

Just wait and see, but keep in mind he's not Messi.

Why leave him out when he's trained well for 2 weeks and are fit to play?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2010/10/4/1286201923795/Hatem-Ben-Arfa-006.jpg

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/jul2011/1/4/hatem-ben-arfa-is-injured-in-the-friendly-against-sporting-kansas-city-113079881.jpg

Why leave him out when he's trained well for 2 weeks and are fit to play?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2010/10/4/1286201923795/Hatem-Ben-Arfa-006.jpg

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/jul2011/1/4/hatem-ben-arfa-is-injured-in-the-friendly-against-sporting-kansas-city-113079881.jpg

I still waiting for an answer.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Ben Arfa did well against Blackpool. Should have set up a goal for us iirc, got through their defence and pulled a great ball back across the face of the goal- no one was there.

It's more the idea of him play the way he did aginst Everton every now and then. Of course he'll have bad games, but players of his nature tend to struggle against Stoke anyway.

If we get him into the side we'll play more on the ground as well. I think it'll work very, very well with him behind Ba or Best and Jonas/Marveaux/Obertan on either side of him.

He doesn't have to be taking players on, setting up goals or smacking it in from 30 yards. The simple fact that he's a #10 should give us a link between midfield and attack, give a passing option for Cabaye and Tiote, aswell as helping out the wide players. Just having in the side, even if he doesn't hit it off straight away will make a massive difference to us as a team in terms of shape and fluidity.