Who should partner Campbell this season? OLD THREAD ALERT

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

collocini, campbell will cover for him in the air like williamson did last season, and colo's got a fast first 3 or 4 yards in him to cover for campbell's lack of pace.

Campbell's lack of pace?

He was the second fastest player in the Premiership last season!

collocini, campbell will cover for him in the air like williamson did last season, and colo's got a fast first 3 or 4 yards in him to cover for campbell's lack of pace.

Campbell's lack of pace?

Probably the problem isn't pace (top speed) but his acceleration.

Coloccini can play defensive midfielder also. I dont know how good he is in that position, but he cant be worse than smith?  We also have taylor who can play right back.. but as someone says then he would prob. not sign a new contract and leave for free at the end of the season. Sign him up on a new contract, find out which cb's are best together, then put either coloccini in dmc, taylor on the RB or sol on the bench.

I voted Colo. Think its more likely for them to succeed together..

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Campbell's lack of pace?

Probably the problem isn't pace (top speed) but his acceleration.

Fair enough

Based on the clips (Yes, I know) of him at Arsenal last season, pace/acceleration wasn't an issue with him- 

Williamson is the slowest of the three and the weakest by a distance on the deck. He's a good squad player, but shouldn't really be in contention for a place in the starting Xl with everyone fit.

:thup:

Colo, for me.

Although I'll be disappointed if Williamson doesn't get a look in- I thought he was very impressive last season, despite it being in the Championship. The only thing about our backline (bar Jose and maybe Simpson) is that there is a distinct lack of pace there whoever plays.

What defences do have a load of pace? - Vidic and Ferdinand don't, Terry and Carvalho don't, Carragher and Skrtel/Agger don't, Dawson and King don't etc etc.

Pace isn't particularly important its reading of the game you need as centre half.

Carvalho is quick, Ferdinand is quick, Carragher was quick but we saw in the World Cup what happened when he was one on one with a fast player. Pace matters, no doubt of it.

Taylor's not a RB, and being forced in to that position would certainly see us losing him for free next summer. Hopefully Hughton isn't that idiotic.

Colo has a lot to prove, he'd have to up his game 3 or 4 times the level he gave us in his debut season to be an average premiership defender, he at least doubled it last season, so there's hope.

Taylor though has done a lot better at this level for longer, and with a decent partner beside him and a much needed mentor I believe it will bring him on massively. If he wasn't injured it would have to be Taylor for me.

But you can't ignore the injury imo, and its going to keep him out for a while and then he needs to get up to speed with games, Taylor could find himself fazed out if Colo finds it in him to be a premiership quality player, I know its a big IF, but he's got a better chance this time round.

Also Williamson hasn't put a foot wrong, people say he's unproven at this level, well its better than Colo who's been proven not to be able to cope.

He's also played better for us at right-back than as a central defender in the Premier League. It's a team game, and if our team improves with Taylor playing right-back then that's the way it should be.

Damn right, he's had over 6 f***ing years to establish hismelf as a central defender worthy of starting in the Premier League.

which he has done. for all taylor was our best right back that season it wasn't a massivly long stretch and for all i'd like to see him tried there i'm not about to say it's his more natural position. even with the addition of campbell a fit taylor would be in the starting 11. seems many are forgetting colo in the premiership.

Coloccini due to the fact that he was our best central defender last season.

I'm liking the look of this defence but like always in the Premiership it won't be up to mid-table standard and probably be our weakest link though on paper offense and creativity is the weakest.

Last season counts for nothing, Steven Taylor is better suited to the Premiership then Colo ever will be. 

i hope colo was just finding his feet but there is always the possibility he just found his level.

I know I'm going to extremes here.. but Enrique was our best performer last season.. does that count for nothing now we're in the Premiership? Colo showed glimpses in our relegation season (not as much as Jose of course) to show he's got some class in there. And he showed it again this season, I'm more than happy to go for Colo-Sol in the centre.

Damn right, he's had over 6 f***ing years to establish hismelf as a central defender worthy of starting in the Premier League.

which he has done.

Which is why Robson, Souness, Roeder, Allardyce and Kinnear all initially (or predominantly) went with partnerships that didn't include him. It took injuries or loss of form for that lot to put him in the middle. They can't all have been wrong.

Taylor will never have the brains to play CB effectively in the Premier League. He's too rash, stupid and clumsy.

Got to be Taylor for me, Colo tends to get pulled out of position too easy & Campbell can't spend his time playing his own game & looking to cover his partner. I also think that Campbell could make Taylor a much better player; don't think he could do that for Colo.

Got to be Taylor for me, Colo tends to get pulled out of position too easy & Campbell can't spend his time playing his own game & looking to cover his partner. I also think that Campbell could make Taylor a much better player; don't think he could do that for Colo.

The same applies to Taylor.

Against the poorer teams where it'll be more of a scrap I'd consider putting Williamson and Campbell in. Birmingham managed to do well with two taller, slower centre backs last season. No reason why we can't.

Guest Stephen927

I'm not sure I buy into the thinking that Campbell can make Taylor a better player. I think this is as good as it gets for Taylor, ability wise.

The same applies to Taylor.

Basically, we're fucked then. :(