Rangers 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 07/08/10

Fenham Mag

Barton and Routledge look like they've played football before. The rest were average. Guti as usual non-existant. He'll do the odd run up a blind alley in games and people will think he's alright etc...

We need a proper mobile striker who can finish, someone who can get 12/15 in the PL or we're really going to be struggling for goals.

I think Rangers would struggle to finish in the top 8/9 in the PL.

Pros

Some excellent passing and progressive football.

Barton looking like a decent player.

Routledge is dangerous.

Heads didn't go down too much despite goals coming against the run of play.

Cons

Nolan was largely anonymous. Not good considering he's the first name on the teamsheet.

Distinct lack of quality in the final third to go with our general play.

Lack guile around the edge of the penalty area.

Potential injuries to our most important players. f***ing hope Carroll and Enrique are okay.

Perch looks worryingly pap.

Overall we were pretty good all things considered IMO.

No we wern't. We still largely struggled against what is poor poor opposition. We looked blunt up top and that's against a back 4 containing a 40 year old David Weir and Sasa fucking Papac. Defensively we weren't fantastic either.

I dont think you can take many positives out of this, especially considering our season starts in 7 days time.

I must admit I'm worried. I have absolutely no faith in Ashley to spend some money on a much needed striker and I simply cant see our current crop of attackers getting the goals needed to keep us up.

Need a new striker, now. None of the current lot will get anywhere near double figures.

Guess how many strikers playing for bottom half teams got into double figures in the league last year.

Everybody says that but most of the other mid-table average sides have better players all round than we do, that makes up for it.

A shame to lose, but its best get it out of our system before the serious stuff starts.

If we signed a player in the Ben-Arfa mould and/or a quick strike partner for Carroll then we'll be looking in good shape for the season ahead. Otherwise, we could struggle.

James Perch is looking like a poor signing. If we need another LB then we either bring someone else in or play Kadar there. Perch's positional sense was shocking when he moved to LB, continuously going AWOL. Not good.

Barton looked good when he demanded the ball, Guthrie at times as well.

Routledge is looking good, imo. Bags of speed but we don't have anyone that can put a decent ball in consistently- and with a striker like Carroll we need someone to do that.

A fair few positives to take from that for me, at least.

Aye, there's definitely some cause for positivity.

We look like we're going to try and keep the ball and play it on the deck a bit more, and with a midfield of Routledge, Jonas, Guthrie and Barton I'd be confident we could play some good stuff at times.

Up front is a really big concern though. We looked positively toothless in the final third until late in the game, Nolan and Carroll as a pairing up there was painful to watch.

We need another striker to be brought in or we're going to really struggle to stay up, simple as that for me. Carroll is good enough to lead the line up there, and Shola is passable as a back-up for him. But we so badly need someone with a bit of pace and movement to play off Carroll, unless we get that then it won't matter how well we keep the ball or pass it around.

As it stands Lovenkrands is one of the first names on the team sheet for me, he's the only one who even comes close to fitting that description. But I'm not sure he's really good enough, we need someone else to compete with him for the place starting alongside Carroll.

Pros

Some excellent passing and progressive football.

Barton looking like a decent player.

Routledge is dangerous.

Heads didn't go down too much despite goals coming against the run of play.

Cons

Nolan was largely anonymous. Not good considering he's the first name on the teamsheet.

Distinct lack of quality in the final third to go with our general play.

Lack guile around the edge of the penalty area.

Potential injuries to our most important players. f***ing hope Carroll and Enrique are okay.

Perch looks worryingly pap.

Overall we were pretty good all things considered IMO.

No we wern't. We still largely struggled against what is poor poor opposition. We looked blunt up top and that's against a back 4 containing a 40 year old David Weir and Sasa f***ing Papac. Defensively we weren't fantastic either.

I dont think you can take many positives out of this, especially considering our season starts in 7 days time.

I must admit I'm worried. I have absolutely no faith in Ashley to spend some money on a much needed striker and I simply cant see our current crop of attackers getting the goals needed to keep us up.

:lol:

We were the best team by a mile in the first half man.

Didnt think we played that badly, had shedloads of the ball but our end product was a bit crap.

Perch looked a bit dodgy tbh, hope it was just an off day.

We are lacking in the same area's as we were when we got relegated sadly.

A fair few positives to take from that for me, at least.

We look like we're going to try and keep the ball and play it on the deck a bit more, and with a midfield of Routledge, Jonas, Guthrie and Barton I'd be confident we could play some good stuff at times.

Up front is a really big concern though. We looked positively toothless in the final third until late in the game, Nolan and Carroll as a pairing up there was painful to watch.

We need another striker to be brought in or we're going to really struggle to stay up, simple as that for me. Carroll is good enough to lead the line up there, and Shola is passable as a back-up for him. But we so badly need someone with a bit of pace and movement to play off Carroll, unless we get that then it won't matter how well we keep the ball or pass it around.

As it stands Lovenkrands is one of the first names on the team sheet for me, he's the only one who even comes close to fitting that description. But I'm not sure he's really good enough, we need someone else to compete with him for the place starting alongside Carroll.

Agree with all of that. The problem with getting a decent striker is that is the one postion where they are overpriced.

Why do people think Carroll was taken off because of an injury worry?

Surely he's going to be playing 90mins on Tuesday night and Hughton didn't see the point in giving him longer today when Ameobi needs some game-time, non?

shola was crap when he first came on, but latter on he held the ball up well and did some ok passes.

I missed first 30mins, we looked very bland in last thrid. Where was jonas playing? we seemed to wander around the midfield in a random manner. We looked like england nothing down the left and lop sided.

Hard to see how the goals will come amto.

A shame to lose, but its best get it out of our system before the serious stuff starts.

If we signed a player in the Ben-Arfa mould and/or a quick strike partner for Carroll then we'll be looking in good shape for the season ahead. Otherwise, we could struggle.

James Perch is looking like a poor signing. If we need another LB then we either bring someone else in or play Kadar there. Perch's positional sense was shocking when he moved to LB, continuously going AWOL. Not good.

Barton looked good when he demanded the ball, Guthrie at times as well.

Routledge is looking good, imo. Bags of speed but we don't have anyone that can put a decent ball in consistently- and with a striker like Carroll we need someone to do that.

Was much the same at right back.

We should have scored with the Guthrie chance and the Lovenkrands one from Shola. If we had, I reckon people wouldn't be as disgruntled.

At the end of the day, it may be just a week til the season starts but it was only a friendly.

I always thought Perch was basically our bench player in that he's a sub who can (just about) cover 4/5 different positions. The bad thing is beyond Perch we still haven't got a good RB.

I thought he was reasonable, nothing to write home about but nothing shocking like we've had in recent times (Huntington, Ramage, Babayaro, etc.). Good to see that he can be just as average on either flank, looks like he has a decent motor so CM/DM seems another reasonable position.

Pleased with the passing and movement at times; much, much better than in previous seasons (even last season's home stretch). Just hope we can build on it.

:thup:

We should have scored with the Guthrie chance and the Lovenkrands one from Shola. If we had, I reckon people wouldn't be as disgruntled.

At the end of the day, it may be just a week til the season starts but it was only a friendly.

Can't see anything but a tonking first game.