Rangers 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 07/08/10

Fenham Mag

Well, f*** all doom-mongers. I'm quite upbeat after that. This season is going to be tough, that is a given for me. I'm nailing my colours to the mast: we're staying up with this squad.

Are we fuck.

Fair enough. Enjoy the season.

If Enrique's injured I wonder what chances are of Van Aanholt coming back on loan are.

Van Aanholt, Bertrand, Gibbs or Traore would be good back-up along with Kadar.

Already gone to Nottm Forest

Daft comment, how he fells we'll do will have no bearing on how much he enjoys the season.  I also think we’ll be lucky to be playing in the Premiership next season with our current squad.  I’ll enjoy winning just as much as anybody else and will give the team just as much support as anybody else.

Daft comment, how he fells we'll do will have no bearing on how much he enjoys the season.  I also think we’ll be lucky to be playing in the Premiership next season with our current squad.  I’ll enjoy winning just as much as anybody else and will give the team just as much support as anybody else.

I dunno, like, I'd find it difficult to enjoy the season thinking we're already down.

Barton and Routledge look like they've played football before. The rest were average. Guti as usual non-existant. He'll do the odd run up a blind alley in games and people will think he's alright etc...

We need a proper mobile striker who can finish, someone who can get 12/15 in the PL or we're really going to be struggling for goals.

Again, people have been saying this for weeks and I find it kind of funny.

Three strikers out of the entire bottom half (Bent-24, Cole-10, and Rodallega) got double figures in the league last year. Strikers, excluding truly exceptional cases like Bent, do not just waltz around plugging 15 goals a season in relegation-threatened teams that struggle to create chances for them.

I'm not saying you're wrong, of course we're going to stay up if we can get someone who can score 15 next season. But it's not realistic in any sense of the word. I'll consider it a great success if whoever's playing up front for us nets 8~9 next year. Putting forward "double figures" or "15" as if it's some sort of benchmark for a competent bottom-half striker is ridiculous.

A lot of those teams have other players who chip in with goals, do we? And don't say Nolan.

Bent, Cole and Rodallega would all walk into our side.

Completely missing my point. To rephrase, why are we saying "we need a 15-goal striker or we're going down" when getting one is completely unrealistic for us or ANY of our rivals?

Your missing my point we don't really have anyone who is an out and out goal threat at this level.

Sun- Jones, Bent

Wigan - Rodallega - Bosseli (1 in 2 for Etudiantes)

West Ham (nearly relegated) Cole (Would have been at the WC bar injury), Diamate (7-22 from midfield) McCarthy 1-3 for Blackburn 1-2 for Porto.

We don't really have a midfield that look like it's going to get too many goals between them, hence the need for at least one proper striker. I know what you're saying btw, but our team makeup won't balance out having shit strikers at this level.

I dunno, like, I'd find it difficult to enjoy the season thinking we're already down.

True.

Those people who think we'll go down anyway (and who are really convinced we'll go down) shouldn't support the club.

True.

Those people who think we'll go down anyway (and who are really convinced we'll go down) shouldn't support the club.

Well, I'm not saying that. We have a tradition of gloomy fans. To think the worst is an effective way of protecting yourself from disappointment.

Barton and Routledge look like they've played football before. The rest were average. Guti as usual non-existant. He'll do the odd run up a blind alley in games and people will think he's alright etc...

We need a proper mobile striker who can finish, someone who can get 12/15 in the PL or we're really going to be struggling for goals.

Again, people have been saying this for weeks and I find it kind of funny.

Three strikers out of the entire bottom half (Bent-24, Cole-10, and Rodallega) got double figures in the league last year. Strikers, excluding truly exceptional cases like Bent, do not just waltz around plugging 15 goals a season in relegation-threatened teams that struggle to create chances for them.

I'm not saying you're wrong, of course we're going to stay up if we can get someone who can score 15 next season. But it's not realistic in any sense of the word. I'll consider it a great success if whoever's playing up front for us nets 8~9 next year. Putting forward "double figures" or "15" as if it's some sort of benchmark for a competent bottom-half striker is ridiculous.

A lot of those teams have other players who chip in with goals, do we? And don't say Nolan.

Bent, Cole and Rodallega would all walk into our side.

Completely missing my point. To rephrase, why are we saying "we need a 15-goal striker or we're going down" when getting one is completely unrealistic for us or ANY of our rivals?

Your missing my point we don't really have anyone who is an out and out goal threat at this level.

Sun- Jones, Bent

Wigan - Rodallega - Bosseli (1 in 2 for Etudiantes)

West Ham (nearly relegated) Cole (Would have been at the WC bar injury), Diamate (7-22 from midfield) McCarthy 1-3 for Blackburn 1-2 for Porto.

We don't really have a midfield that look like it's going to get too many goals between them, hence the need for at least one proper striker. I know what you're saying btw, but our team makeup won't balance out having s*** strikers at this level.

The problem I wanted to point out was the absurdity of defining "out and out goal threat" as 12~15 goals. Teams at our level just don't get strikers of that caliber unless it's a freak accident (like Tevez at West Ham) or if there just very fortunately happens to be a proven Premiership goal scorer who's out of favor at his club and the owner decides to start shitting money out of his ass (like Bent.)

I didn't watch the match but read the match report on .co.uk and feel slightly positive about our chances for the season!

I think we'll stay up and with 1 or 2 additional signings we cold be mid table quite easily.

That's like saying we should all think we're going to win the league then at least we'll enjoy the season, even if we go down.

For having an opinion ?

Yeah, was probably a bit too harsh, but still I don't think a supporter of a club should think in such a negative way before the first game of the season like some on here do.

That's like saying we should all think we're going to win the league then at least we'll enjoy the season, even if we go down.

No it's not :lol:

Have you seriously convinced yourself that the odds of us staying up are anywhere near as short as the odds of us winning the title?

Not really, like. Going down would be an absolute disaster: the worst possible outcome. Not winning the league wouldn't be a massive hardship for us at this stage.

Eh? :lol:

Daft comment, how he fells we'll do will have no bearing on how much he enjoys the season.  I also think well be lucky to be playing in the Premiership next season with our current squad.  Ill enjoy winning just as much as anybody else and will give the team just as much support as anybody else.

True.

That's your big contribution as a NUFC fan, is it? To tell everyone that we're great and easily going to survive?

True.

That's your big contribution as a NUFC fan, is it? To tell everyone that we're great and easily going to survive?

Said it before, was probably a bit too harsh, but still I don't think a supporter of a club should think in such a negative way before the first game of the season like some on here do.

Have you seriously convinced yourself that the odds of us staying up are anywhere near as short as the odds of us winning the title?

I used an extreme example and could have used staying up instead of winning the league.  Either one would have had the same result, thinking something might happen doesn’t change how you feel when something actually does happen.  Whatever actually does happen is what determines how you feel about it.

I used an extreme example and could have used staying up instead of winning the league.  Either one would have had the same result, thinking something might happen doesn’t change how you feel when something actually does happen.  Whatever actually does happen is what determines how you feel about it.

Am I the only one who has no idea what Mick is trying to say? ???

Well, I know exactly how I'll feel when we stay up and I can point the finger at all you negative nellies.