Rangers 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 07/08/10

Fenham Mag

Carroll's playing for the England under 21's in a couple of days time, that's why he was taken off early.

This.

Fair play, forgot about that. I didn't say they were injured btw, just hoped they weren't.

Barton and Routledge look like they've played football before. The rest were average. Guti as usual non-existant. He'll do the odd run up a blind alley in games and people will think he's alright etc...

We need a proper mobile striker who can finish, someone who can get 12/15 in the PL or we're really going to be struggling for goals.

Again, people have been saying this for weeks and I find it kind of funny.

Three strikers out of the entire bottom half (Bent-24, Cole-10, and Rodallega) got double figures in the league last year. Strikers, excluding truly exceptional cases like Bent, do not just waltz around plugging 15 goals a season in relegation-threatened teams that struggle to create chances for them.

I'm not saying you're wrong, of course we're going to stay up if we can get someone who can score 15 next season. But it's not realistic in any sense of the word. I'll consider it a great success if whoever's playing up front for us nets 8~9 next year. Putting forward "double figures" or "15" as if it's some sort of benchmark for a competent bottom-half striker is ridiculous.

Nice enough football through the middle, but with five midfielders you would expect that. The forwards were all substandard including the wide players for me. No quality delivery and not enough support for the lone striker. We are going to struggle for goals against Premier defences on that showing.

Pros

Some excellent passing and progressive football.

Barton looking like a decent player.

Routledge is dangerous.

Heads didn't go down too much despite goals coming against the run of play.

Cons

Nolan was largely anonymous. Not good considering he's the first name on the teamsheet.

Distinct lack of quality in the final third to go with our general play.

Lack guile around the edge of the penalty area.

Potential injuries to our most important players. f***ing hope Carroll and Enrique are okay.

Perch looks worryingly pap.

Overall we were pretty good all things considered IMO.

No we wern't. We still largely struggled against what is poor poor opposition. We looked blunt up top and that's against a back 4 containing a 40 year old David Weir and Sasa f***ing Papac. Defensively we weren't fantastic either.

I dont think you can take many positives out of this, especially considering our season starts in 7 days time.

I must admit I'm worried. I have absolutely no faith in Ashley to spend some money on a much needed striker and I simply cant see our current crop of attackers getting the goals needed to keep us up.

:lol:

We were the best team by a mile in the first half man.

And what did we have to show for it? Nowt.

Barton and Routledge look like they've played football before. The rest were average. Guti as usual non-existant. He'll do the odd run up a blind alley in games and people will think he's alright etc...

We need a proper mobile striker who can finish, someone who can get 12/15 in the PL or we're really going to be struggling for goals.

Three strikers out of the entire bottom half (Bent-24, Cole-10, and Rodallega) got double figures in the league last year. Strikers, excluding truly exceptional cases like Bent, do not just waltz around plugging 15 goals a season in relegation-threatened teams that struggle to create chances for them.

I'm not saying you're wrong, of course we're going to stay up if we can get someone who can score 15 next season. But it's not realistic in any sense of the word. I'll consider it a great success if whoever's playing up front for us nets 8~9 next year. Putting forward "double figures" or "15" as if it's some sort of benchmark for a competent bottom-half striker is ridiculous.

:thup:

A lot of those teams have other players who chip in with goals, do we? And don't say Nolan.

Bent, Cole and Rodallega would all walk into our side.

Pros

Routledge is dangerous.

Cons

Nolan was largely anonymous. Not good considering he's the first name on the teamsheet.

Potential injuries to our most important players. f***ing hope Carroll and Enrique are okay.

No we wern't. We still largely struggled against what is poor poor opposition. We looked blunt up top and that's against a back 4 containing a 40 year old David Weir and Sasa f***ing Papac. Defensively we weren't fantastic either.

I dont think you can take many positives out of this, especially considering our season starts in 7 days time.

I must admit I'm worried. I have absolutely no faith in Ashley to spend some money on a much needed striker and I simply cant see our current crop of attackers getting the goals needed to keep us up.

Aye, can't believe we missed out on those 3 points.

Pros

Routledge is dangerous.

Cons

Aye, can't believe we missed out on those 3 points.

We didnt miss out on any points, it was a friendly. Season starts next week man you berk.

Didnt think we played that badly, had shedloads of the ball but our end product was a bit crap.

Perch looked a bit dodgy tbh, hope it was just an off day.

We are lacking in the same area's as we were when we got relegated sadly.

We've had that problem since Big Sam brought the shite in. No pace and lack of creativity, just hope we can bring in a couple more before next weekend.

In pre-season I'd rather play well and lose than play s**** and win.

Indeed.. we did finish strong too.. heads did not drop.. very important that.

Aye, when Taylor and Shola came on, I was expecting us to bend over and take a right bumming. We finished stronger :thup:

A lot of those teams have other players who chip in with goals, do we? And don't say Nolan.

Bent, Cole and Rodallega would all walk into our side.

Completely missing my point. To rephrase, why are we saying "we need a 15-goal striker or we're going down" when getting one is completely unrealistic for us or ANY of our rivals?

A fair few positives to take from that for me, at least.

Aye, there's definitely some cause for positivity.

We look like we're going to try and keep the ball and play it on the deck a bit more, and with a midfield of Routledge, Jonas, Guthrie and Barton I'd be confident we could play some good stuff at times.

Up front is a really big concern though. We looked positively toothless in the final third until late in the game, Nolan and Carroll as a pairing up there was painful to watch.

We need another striker to be brought in or we're going to really struggle to stay up, simple as that for me. Carroll is good enough to lead the line up there, and Shola is passable as a back-up for him. But we so badly need someone with a bit of pace and movement to play off Carroll, unless we get that then it won't matter how well we keep the ball or pass it around.

As it stands Lovenkrands is one of the first names on the team sheet for me, he's the only one who even comes close to fitting that description. But I'm not sure he's really good enough, we need someone else to compete with him for the place starting alongside Carroll.

Agree with all of that. The problem with getting a decent striker is that is the one postion where they are overpriced.

They're priced so highly because they're imperative to winning games though.

You'd have hoped that the people in charge would realise this, but with the season only a week away and nobody signed it doesn't look promising. A real shame, because with some actual real quality up top beside Carroll I think we'd be a half decent side.

Nolan could become a real problem for us, I fear. Play him in CM and your chances of playing good football are more or less fucked, play him up top and you'll have no movement at all in the final third. I actually reckon he'd be useful to have as a sub you can throw on late in games when you're desperate for a goal, no doubt he has a knack for getting on the end of chances. But in terms of developing ourselves into a good team he's a real hindrance, IMO.

A fair few positives to take from that for me, at least.

Aye, there's definitely some cause for positivity.

We look like we're going to try and keep the ball and play it on the deck a bit more, and with a midfield of Routledge, Jonas, Guthrie and Barton I'd be confident we could play some good stuff at times.

Up front is a really big concern though. We looked positively toothless in the final third until late in the game, Nolan and Carroll as a pairing up there was painful to watch.

We need another striker to be brought in or we're going to really struggle to stay up, simple as that for me. Carroll is good enough to lead the line up there, and Shola is passable as a back-up for him. But we so badly need someone with a bit of pace and movement to play off Carroll, unless we get that then it won't matter how well we keep the ball or pass it around.

As it stands Lovenkrands is one of the first names on the team sheet for me, he's the only one who even comes close to fitting that description. But I'm not sure he's really good enough, we need someone else to compete with him for the place starting alongside Carroll.

Agree with all of that. The problem with getting a decent striker is that is the one postion where they are overpriced.

They're priced so highly because they're imperative to winning games though.

You'd have hoped that the people in charge would realise this, but with the season only a week away and nobody signed it doesn't look promising. A real shame, because with some actual real quality up top beside Carroll I think we'd be a half decent side.

Nolan could become a real problem for us, I fear. Play him in CM and your chances of playing good football are more or less f***ed, play him up top and you'll have no movement at all in the final third. I actually reckon he'd be useful to have as a sub you can throw on late in games when you're desperate for a goal, no doubt he has a knack for getting on the end of chances. But in terms of developing ourselves into a good team he's a real hindrance, IMO.

:thup: Spot on about Nolan...