Rangers 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 07/08/10

Fenham Mag

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

wasn't Nolan shown to be the fittest player last season one of of them tests they do.  Also sure prozone or something showed him being the player who covered the most ground during a game.

Campbell was also one of the fastest in the PL last season.

Campbell is fast man! ;)

wasn't Nolan shown to be the fittest player last season one of of them tests they do.  Also sure prozone or something showed him being the player who covered the most ground during a game.

Campbell was also one of the fastest in the PL last season.

Campbell is fast man! ;)

Faster than Walcott and Agbonlawhore, thats for sure.

;) (Safety wink!)

Dr zaius takes negativity to whole new levels, I will be reading a post on my phone, think "f*** me that's a bit OTT on the negativity there mate", it will click "ah him again" so I drag it across and surprise surprise it is him :lol:

Cheer up mate :thup: :lol:

I didnt think I was that negative tbh, that was until I had a look through a few of my previous posts, I really do have nothing good to say. :lol:

Guest robertbobo

A few comments on yesterday:

First half hour we were excellent in terms of possession but Rangers let us keep possession, dropping 10 behind the ball. This is how they play in Europe, home and away.

Harper really really worries me. Beaten easily twice from long range against PSV and yesterday the cross when met by Miller is only three yards from his line. Just stands there then dives once the ball is past him. I really think he'll be found out in the Premiership.

Second goal, Rangers scorer is behind Jonas, jogs past him, then Jonas realises he should be picking up the run, but too late. Did exactly the same as against Hull City at home in the cup replay when we lost 1-0 two seasons back. Almost as bad as Ameobi in that someone will deal with that attitude, why should I bother.

First half hour we were excellent in terms of possession but Rangers let us keep possession, dropping 10 behind the ball. This is how they play in Europe, home and away.

Harper really really worries me. Beaten easily twice from long range against PSV and yesterday the cross when met by Miller is only three yards from his line. Just stands there then dives once the ball is past him. I really think he'll be found out in the Premiership.

Second goal, Rangers scorer is behind Jonas, jogs past him, then Jonas realises he should be picking up the run, but too late. Did exactly the same as against Hull City at home in the cup replay when we lost 1-0 two seasons back. Almost as bad as Ameobi in that someone will deal with that attitude, why should I bother.

I agree with your post, except for the bit in bold.. I reckon that goal was more the fault of the defenders, as Routledge was dealing with Whittaker on his own and Miller has lost his marker. From that distance there wasn't much Harper could have done about it really. Although I do agree with the sentiment that he is fading rapidly and will need to be replaced sooner rather than later.

I bet I could find more examples where Jonas has come back and tracked the run. Protecting the full back is one of the stronger aspects of his game.

I bet I could find more examples where Jonas has come back and tracked the run. Protecting the full back is one of the stronger aspects of his game.

Do you reckon it's because the full-back in this case is a very good player? I wonder how his game would be if he played on the right, as Enrique and Jonas rely on each other quite a bit.

Colo messed up on both tbh

Routledge shouldve blocked the cross for the first & Colo shouldve tracked the run better. Wasnt down to Harper, had to much pace on it. A class cross really, so cant place blame on anyone to harshly.

For the 2nd Colo stepped up for no reason. The other side was covered by 3 players, all he had to do was track the guy running across him again. Same for Guti. If either one had done just that, they probably dont score.

Harper to fault for their first goal? :lol: I've heard it all now.

This bias against Harper is just getting silly now. The onl two people to blame were Colo and Williamson, the former failed to pick up the run of his man (Miller) and the latter was caught ball watching.

Next week, Rooney could score a volley along the lines of that he scored against Given a couple of seasons ago an some would say "Harper should have saved that".

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He either never comes off his line or he comes too far of it; Liverpool in 2007 (?), that Xavi Alonso goal.  :lol:

I wouldn't say Harper did a great deal wrong for their first goal. Tbh it was superb delivery and a great run from Miller; really well executed goal and typically sucker-punch given the possession we'd had.

The fact that an average team like Rangers can pile ten men behind the ball - and contain us with relative ease - doesn't bode well for our season. That's bound to happen against, especially on the road, given the pace we've got down the wings. Teams are gonna drop a yard back because Jonas and Routledge will both happily run at full-backs all day. I like our wingers but we've got nothing through the middle to compliment it - and as a result we're gonna be fairly easy to counter.

I know it's early days - and slightly kneejerk - but off that showing, i don't for a minute think Nolan off Carroll is gonna work in the Premiership. They're both reasonable goalscorers who'll stick it away given the opportunity infront of goal, but there's simply not enough pace up there. Nolan knows how to get into positions to score; his anticipation and runs are generally pretty good. It's criminal he's not a bit lighter on his feet because he could be an effective, if unspectacular 'second' striker.

As it is i think he's gonna struggle a great deal. So too Carroll as a result.

Our possession play was really nice, and in both this game and the snippets of PSV/Deportivo i saw - we really do knock the ball round with confidence and a bit of endeavour. 90% of our possession build-up play is going to be in vain, however, if we don't upgrade somewhere through the middle.

i'm not so sure it was a great delivery, seemd like he was reaching for it and just swung as it was getting away from him. miller read it very well though and finished well.

after talking to others at work today though we seemed to agree that we played as if a friendly while they went for it.

The fact that an average team like Rangers can pile ten men behind the ball - and contain us with relative ease - doesn't bode well for our season. That's bound to happen against, especially on the road, given the pace we've got down the wings. Teams are gonna drop a yard back because Jonas and Routledge will both happily run at full-backs all day. I like our wingers but we've got nothing through the middle to compliment it - and as a result we're gonna be fairly easy to counter.

I think most teams will fancy their chances against us, and barring one or two (ala Bolton and Stoke at SJP), I don't think many will sit back and try to contain us like Rangers did.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Harper is gash, always has been, sooner Krul takes his place the better.

I think "always has been" is a bit harsh