Manchester Utd 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 16/08/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

Hughton revealed Danny Guthrie had been forced to miss the game with a knee problem, whilst Peter Lovenkrands felt a twinge in his groin on Sunday, although neither injury is thought to be serious.

Out of that team I think Williamson, Colo, Enrique, Routeledge, Barton and Carroll will be fine this season. Its the other players that worry me. Jonas will be very handy for us against the lesser teams but I don't think he is much of an asset to us away from home against decent opposition. WIth our current team though we have no option but to play him.

I thought the centre backs were okay. The midfield though offered little protection and the pressure on the back four was unbearable.

This.

Perch looked nervous in the 1st half but settled down a bit in the 2nd.

Thought Williamson and Collocinni did as well as they could considering the midfield was over ran.

Smith was okay but Nolan and Barton inparticular were poor.

Thought Jonas was impressive tbh when i watched. Didnt catch much of the first goal, but looked to me like he had stepped up a level. Went past his marker several times, was dribbling across the width of the pitch at times with the ball to try to open things up. Just didnt have much support atall.

His end product is so f***ing bad. We need wingers who can find AC's head.

We're not going to get a perfect winger who can both cross perfectly & beat his man & break out of defence with pace any time soon.

If you werent complaining about one itd be the other. Jonas can put in a decent cross, his only real weakness is shooting. Its acceptable, for our team hes a good player.

I don't want to overrate Guthrie but I think we could have done with him tonight. He always makes himself available for the ball and plays the simple pass. Too often tonight we would get the ball and absolutely no one was showing for it, resulting in us either humping it long for Carroll who would flick it on to no one at all, or just kicking it straight to their defenders. Obviously Man U deserve some credit for this, though, due to their incredible closing down.

I don't want to overrate Guthrie but I think we could have done with him tonight. He always makes himself available for the ball and plays the simple pass. Too often tonight we would get the ball and absolutely no one was showing for it, resulting in us either humping it long for Carroll who would flick it on to no one at all, or just kicking it straight to their defenders. Obviously Man U deserve some credit for this, though, due to their incredible closing down.

Few times Carroll was chasing his own flick ons.

:thup:

Guthrie's nowt special but he knows how to move into space in order to receive the ball. Keeping the ball better in the first place is far superior to trying to win it back all the time.

Thougt Williamson and colo did well. As did Jose, Valencia didn't get a sniff IMO.

Harper should have done better on the third, went down in installments (as ever).

Didn't expect anything else tonight, they're one of the worlds best sides and we were ona hiding to nowt. Our season wnt be dictated by games against teams like man utd. Season states next week for me.

Fully expected today to happen, a bit disappointed with the way we conceaded those goals but we were going to conceade goals anyway so it dosn't matter, have to say Carroll was really  good today and hope he carries on playing like this, just needs to start scoring more, the rest will get better as the season goes on.

If carroll's playing as a lone striker i'd expect him to try to bring it down and keep possession rather than flick it on. Where's his brains? Winning the header might look impressive but if the ch knows that his team are going to pick possession up straight away then it becomes canny dumb.

It's a dumb answer that a better defender should be in the defence? :lol:

Perch's qualities are his defensive attributes. He's lightning quick for example. He's shit going forward though...which is why your answer was a dumb one.

If carroll's playing as a lone striker i'd expect him to try to bring it down and keep possession rather than flick it on. Where's his brains? Winning the header might look impressive but if the ch knows that his team are going to pick possession up straight away then it becomes canny dumb.

sometime he may just try to win the header in the hope that someone has took the gamble ads opposed to trying to bring it down when vidic is trying to win the header.

It's a dumb answer that a better defender should be in the defence? :lol:

Perch's qualities are his defensive attributes. He's lightning quick for example. He's s*** going forward though...which is why your answer was a dumb one.

You're getting confused now. All I said was that Taylor is better defensively, which any monkey can see.

Yeah but if he's flicking it on to no-one on a regular basis then surely it would be better to attempt to bring it down once in a while? Not having a go at carroll as he was really good tonight, more the fact he was so isolated at times it made no sense to flick it on as the midfield were so deep it was untrue.

Yeah but if he's flicking it on to no-one on a regular basis then surely it would be better to attempt to bring it down once in a while? Not having a go at carroll as he was really good tonight, more the fact he was so isolated at times it made no sense to flick it on as the midfield were so deep it was untrue.

I rarely have a clue where the ball is going to end up when he heads it, he needs to work on his heading more than anything else.

If he's 6ft+ and jumping to flick it on, how exactly is he going to bring it down? :lol:

Back from the pub.

Wasn't tooooo bad. Was impressed with Andy Carroll, worked his mo fo'n socks off. He was our best defender and our best attacker. He desperately needs someone to work with upfront though because Nolan is f***ing useless.

So, in summary, Carroll :thup: good shift lad, keep it up.

Williamson was pretty decent too. Routledge showed some neat touches.

I actually thought we did OK, not read the rest of the thread though but I'd hope most would agree.

Back from the pub.

Wasn't tooooo bad. Was impressed with Andy Carroll, worked his mo fo'n socks off. He was our best defender and our best attacker. He desperately needs someone to work with upfront though because Nolan is f***ing useless.

So, in summary, Carroll :thup: good shift lad, keep it up.

Williamson was pretty decent too. Routledge showed some neat touches.

I actually thought we did OK, not read the rest of the thread though but I'd hope most would agree.

thought routledge looked very good especially early on.

will people give Nolan a break, he was played out of position in case anyone didn't watch the game properly.#

I blame this on Hughton.

Why the fuck didn't CH employ Nolan as a central midfield I will never know, he played him upfront with Carroll wtf!!???  When we had Shola and Xisco on the bench.

At times Carroll was deeper and closer to the midfield than Nolan was.  Now tell me what the fuck is this type of tactic meant to be?? Amateur.

If CH employed him Nolan as a Attack Mid player then why was he given the license to play so far up in attack.  The whole formation stunk and smelt of ineptitude.

Today it really showed the difference between a World Class Prem Coach and a Championship one.

I'm not saying we would have got a result had we had Hiddink or Mourinho,  but at least we would have had a team of players knowing what their jobs were and playing to their best strength.