Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

He was better last night I thought, less sloppy than he has been. Still a very good player IMO, but he needs firm management and direction.

I thought this as well, especially in the first half he seemed to have went back to basics and was winning the ball, then playing the easy pass to a team mate and we were passing it about well (at times)....as the game went on he reverted to getting pissed off and throwing in daft challenges, getting frustrated and misplacing passes/losing posession

He was better last night I thought, less sloppy than he has been. Still a very good player IMO, but he needs firm management and direction.

I thought this as well, especially in the first half he seemed to have went back to basics and was winning the ball, then playing the easy pass to a team mate and we were passing it about well (at times)....as the game went on he reverted to getting pissed off and throwing in daft challenges, getting frustrated and misplacing passes/losing posession

I honestly think that's down to our lack of organisation. We are all over the place chopping and changing while Pardew desperately tries to get a handle on the game and Tiote's discipline goes out the window.

Thought he was okay. Started poorly but stopped losing the ball and did his job well as the half wore on. Decent until the second Everton goal when Pards ruined everything. Started to lose his head. Should've been subbed early he became frustrated with the team and himself, then tried to over compensate.

Did a pretty good job keeping Fellaini quiet.

Wasn't at fault for either goal btw

From a "that's the way it is" standpoint, maybe the reputation he's largely earned was enough for the non-foul to be given as a free kick for the first goal. A less marked man may have got away with that challenge.

It was travelling and hard to see, but did Baines shot deflect a bit off Obertan? It looked to me like it did.

Baines goal was a deflection or Krul woulda been on it (most likely).

Tiote needs to sharpen up, he still thinks he has tons of time for the decision-making which basically just makes him look like a clown out there. No matter how much the rest of the team is all over the place he shouldn't just try to wiggle out of every challenge, pop the friggin ball over the sidelines then, who the fuck cares, just don't lose it on the counter imo.

Wasn't at fault for either goal btw

From a "that's the way it is" standpoint, maybe the reputation he's largely earned was enough for the non-foul to be given as a free kick for the first goal. A less marked man may have got away with that challenge.

Guys in the studio thought it might've been given against Colo. Normally, i'd agree that his reputation went before him but when nobody is even sure of what the infringement was, it's just a plain horrible decision.

I think it's fair to say he hit a bit of a purple patch when he first arrived here. He's probably not ever going to be that player for us again... but i don't believe for a second that if used correctly he can't be a very effective Premiership footballer.

A large issue with him is that he gets caught in possession far too much. His first year or so he was tremendous at winning the ball in the middle of the park then twisting and turning his way out of trouble and releasing it to a teammate. Problem is that now teams have gotten wise to him, they know he'll try and hold onto the ball and try and dribble his way out of tight spots. So they press him and far too often he gets caught in possession which is extremely dangerous for a player playing his position. There were glimpses of this even in his early days here, remember that goal Blackburn scored against us at St. James where he dribbled the ball basically into our own box and got dispossessed and they scored?

As a pure ball winning midfielder he's still got a lot to offer IMO. We look noticeably softer in the middle when he's absent, he presses players brilliantly and breaks up a lot of passes. But the fact that he's become such a liability in possession is negating this. Teams have changed the way they play against him and he needs to adapt to it.

He's a poster boy for the fact that we clearly don't put a lot of time and effort into planning what we'll do as a team when we have the ball. If we did he'd be instructed to release the ball as quickly as possible when he wins possession, play a very simple game and hold his position in the midfield and leave the attacking to the players who actually have some quality on the ball. Then when the other team has the ball that's where he comes into his own.

Is he blameless in it all? No, but like a lot of our players right now he'd look a whole lot better if our manager had a clue how to get the best out of him.

:thup:

Double :thup:

I think he'll come back to what he was with a few tweaks here and there - I thought he had it more-or-less sussed at Arsenal.

90 passes completed at a 90% success rate was much more like the Tiote of old. Keep moving, win the ball, play it simple - all he really needs to do.

Yet last night his pass completion was 77%.

Haven't hid from the fact that he was poor last night, he seemed to have regressed yet again into trying things that weren't ever on.

However, the entire team was massively down from Arsenal across the board, which is where most of my frustration has come from. We adopted a far more direct gameplan - possibly just because Ameobi was up front, plus we also had Obertan/Cisse to hit in the air on either side of him and it didn't really work.

He's just as bad with him. I can't get over how many excuses are made for players.

Are you seriously suggesting missing some crucial players should not affect the others? Even Colo is not his formidable self lately with Williamson next to him. Coincidence?

He's just as bad with him. I can't get over how many excuses are made for players.

Are you seriously suggesting missing some crucial players should not affect the others? Even Colo is not his formidable self lately with Williamson next to him. Coincidence?

Ironically though he was formidable with Williamson beside him for the second half of last season.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2013/01/05/magpies-can-cope-without-cheick-tiote-pardew-72703-32548514/

Magpies can cope without Cheick Tiote - Pardew

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Jan 5 2013

ALAN PARDEW believes that Newcastle United will cope with the loss of Cheick Tiote during the African Cup of Nations.

The Toon midfielder has hooked up with the Ivory Coast ahead of the tournament in South Africa and misses the FA Cup tie at Brighton & Hove Albion this lunchtime.

Tiote could be unavailable to the Magpies until the first leg of their Europa League last 32 first-leg clash with Metalist Kharkiv.

And the earliest United can expect home would be January 30 if the Ivory Coast do not make it out of Group D where they will face Togo, Tunisia and Algeria.

Tiote is in Abu Dhabi for a pre-tournament training camp, and Pardew is hoping that some warm weather training and time at a big tournament can help bring out the best in him.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “The Cheick of last year would have been a massive miss.

“This year he has struggled a bit.

“I am hoping he can go to the African Cup of Nations and find his best form.

“It might not be bad timing for him or us.”

Pardew will turn to three of his most reliable figures this season in James Perch, Gael Bigirimana and Vurnon Anita to help fill the void left by the United midfield enforcer.

Pardew said: “We have players who can replace what he’s been doing in Perchie, Bigi and Anita.”

Tiote reached the final of the African Cup of Nations last year only for Cheick’s side to lose 8-7 on penalties.

Tiote himself scored that night and said: “I scored but it did not matter because we didn’t win the game.

“You always want to win every game.”

People think Pardew doesn't see what we do but he obviously does. Unfortunately he plays certain players (e.g. Jonas, Tiote) hoping that they will play themselves in to form which hasn't been happening.

Guest bimpy474

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2013/01/05/magpies-can-cope-without-cheick-tiote-pardew-72703-32548514/

Magpies can cope without Cheick Tiote - Pardew

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Jan 5 2013

ALAN PARDEW believes that Newcastle United will cope with the loss of Cheick Tiote during the African Cup of Nations.

The Toon midfielder has hooked up with the Ivory Coast ahead of the tournament in South Africa and misses the FA Cup tie at Brighton & Hove Albion this lunchtime.

Tiote could be unavailable to the Magpies until the first leg of their Europa League last 32 first-leg clash with Metalist Kharkiv.

And the earliest United can expect home would be January 30 if the Ivory Coast do not make it out of Group D where they will face Togo, Tunisia and Algeria.

Tiote is in Abu Dhabi for a pre-tournament training camp, and Pardew is hoping that some warm weather training and time at a big tournament can help bring out the best in him.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “The Cheick of last year would have been a massive miss.

“This year he has struggled a bit.

“I am hoping he can go to the African Cup of Nations and find his best form.

“It might not be bad timing for him or us.”

Pardew will turn to three of his most reliable figures this season in James Perch, Gael Bigirimana and Vurnon Anita to help fill the void left by the United midfield enforcer.

Pardew said: “We have players who can replace what he’s been doing in Perchie, Bigi and Anita.”

Tiote reached the final of the African Cup of Nations last year only for Cheick’s side to lose 8-7 on penalties.

Tiote himself scored that night and said: “I scored but it did not matter because we didn’t win the game.

“You always want to win every game.”

People think Pardew doesn't see what we do but he obviously does. Unfortunately he plays certain players (e.g. Jonas, Tiote) hoping that they will play themselves in to form which hasn't been happening.

It does seem he doesn't see it, if he does and persists with playing players so out of form it's mental. It's so detrimental to the team that he needs to sort that out quickly. In fact me saying that shows the flaws that Pardew so obviously has.

It does seem he doesn't see it, if he does and persists with playing players so out of form it's mental. It's so detrimental to the team that he needs to sort that out quickly. In fact me saying that shows the flaws that Pardew so obviously has.

We'll see Jonas and Tiote playing poorly and wonder why Pardew keeps playing them. Only when they can't play (through injury or the ACN) has he come out and said they have been struggling. I suppose he's trying to show those players that he has faith in them. Unfortunately for Pardew, while he's showing faith to out of form players the fans think he can't see that those players are out of form. It's also true that because the squad lacks quality depth it's hard to drop good players who aren't performing when their replacements are youngsters with very little game experience.

It's a tough one really.

Tbh with Jonas I just think this is the level he will perform at now but I really hope someone quotes this and laughs at me.

Tiote is different, do you rest him and hope the break helps him or does that just make it worse? I can see why we stuck with him because when he plays well he gives us something others can't but at the same time when he has been poor he can be a real detriment.