Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Worryingly another muscle strain to one of our squad. Getting a bit silly now. 

Fucking ridiculous, like.

Not that arsed about losing Cheick, but the fact it's right before City is a pisser. As has been said, he's usually useful in that sort of game.

As soon as I saw this thread at the top of the page I knew what had happened.

As much as Tiote has been a liability this season he's still our best player in that position.

Needs the break to maybe watch re-runs of his games in comparison to other players in his position. Then an electric shock everytime he thinks what he has done recently is acceptable.

Wish him a speedy recovery but he has been more of a liability than an aid this season.. less yellows but at the cost of him being too cautious and a more advanced box to box position has completely ruined him imo.

Would be happy with Anita back in there, although he needs a boost of confidence to get back to his best. Perch will be the replacement though and he will do no worse than Chieck.

Perch has improved a lot, and although he's not as strong as Tiote, his distribution is a lot quicker. A year ago, I never thought I'd say this, but he's as decent an option as we've got in that DM position.

After his good start, I think we're seeing now why Tiote was available to us for £3.5m. He has his limitations.

Sadly he does seem to raise his game against better teams so was due a good performance against Man City. We should be trying to offload him in the summer and signing an intelligent DM. Perch is reliable but not expansive enough to be a first choice, and Bigi is still developing, not tough enough yet, and not even sure he is a defensive midfielder.

It's a shame because when he was good he could menace other teams very well and yet play with an almost boyish energy. Sadly seems too dumb at this point. No doubt if we sell him he'll become amazing again.

• 3 weeks later...

Huge game for him if he starts tomorrow - I want to see absolutely no fannying about on the ball, and hope Pardew spends tonight making him watch the video of his sending of at their place over and over again, Clockwork Orange style, with electrodes attached to his bollocks....

Really don't think it was a sending off tbf but he will need to tone it down and realise his reputation as a hard man is going to go against him.

Aye, same here - was definitely a harsh red but he can't afford to be giving refs a decision to make. Especially Howard Webb.