Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest EastEndGeordie

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

PRAISE TO TIOTE

Guest Roger Kint

But you can't have both, that's the reality. Without Carroll money= no longterm Tiote contract.Sadly but true.

Completely disagree. Can't prove it without the next set of accounts but I refuse to believe we are still so poor.

Club claims they are breaking even now Dave, with £30k a week off the wages for Carroll this wont be a huge difference to manage with Tiote on more.

But you can't have both, that's the reality. Without Carroll money= no longterm Tiote contract.Sadly but true.

Completely disagree. Can't prove it without the next set of accounts but I refuse to believe we are still so poor.

Club claims they are breaking even now Dave, with £30k a week off the wages for Carroll this wont be a huge difference to manage with Tiote on more.

I accept that, I meant that I refuse to believe we couldn't have afforded to keep Carroll. Of course the club line is that it would have distorted the rest of the wage structure but again I'm not so sure. I said at the time that I believe a compromise could have been reached but they wanted the money. I understand why that is, but at the end of the day I'm a football fan not a balance sheet fan and I wanted Carroll to stay.

People were saying Carroll wasn't worthy of a pay increase after a good half a season in the Premier League. Well we've just given Tiote one and even now he's only played one more game than Carroll had by that time (and only one month further into a new contract too).

This is great news but some of the arguments given in favour of selling Carroll don't quite stack up.

No, people were saying that Caroll wasn't worth a SECOND pay increase in one season, having just signed a new contract in September. I believe they offered to renegotiate in the summer, which seemed fair enough to me.

Everybody wanted Carroll to stay. But the money for him makes it possible to buy plenty of solid talents that will secure the long term future of this club. Carroll is good, but he's not better than the combined force of all the players that replace him. That can lead us to Europe.

Guest guinness_fiend

People were saying Carroll wasn't worthy of a pay increase after a good half a season in the Premier League. Well we've just given Tiote one and even now he's only played one more game than Carroll had by that time (and only one month further into a new contract too).

This is great news but some of the arguments given in favour of selling Carroll don't quite stack up.

No, people were saying that Caroll wasn't worth a SECOND pay increase in one season, having just signed a new contract in September. I believe they offered to renegotiate in the summer, which seemed fair enough to me.

This is my understanding also.

I don't think you can compare Carroll's contract situation to Tiote's.  We don't know what happened behind the scenes and we probably never will.  The way every thing came together it sounds like the Carroll situation was the perfect storm that got him out the door.

Maybe the one thing I can agree with is that this Tiote deal was in response to the Carroll situation in that the club feels they need to lock up their good talent so they can signal that they are ambitious.  It's not only a reward for Jehovah Tiote but it also send the message to Enrique and Barton (and others) that they aren't a selling club and that the Carroll deal was an extraordinary situation.

the money for him makes it possible to buy plenty of solid talents that will secure the long term future of this club. Carroll is good, but he's not better than the combined force of all the players that replace him. That can lead us to Europe.

how can you be so certain that the money we got for AC is all going to be spent on new players?

yes they have said it will be going back into the club and not ashleys pocket. but they have not said in what way. it could be used to page wages, clear debt any number of things.

i cannot see us spending 35million on new players in the summer.

and the new contract for CT i'd imagine is simply a way to tie him to the club and automatically up the asking price from any potential buyers.

Or a better deal to protect the asset. I am surprised people still think we sold because of a transfer request & a pay rise WE sold because of a £35 million bid.

the money for him makes it possible to buy plenty of solid talents that will secure the long term future of this club. Carroll is good, but he's not better than the combined force of all the players that replace him. That can lead us to Europe.

how can you be so certain that the money we got for AC is all going to be spent on new players?

yes they have said it will be going back into the club and not ashleys pocket. but they have not said in what way. it could be used to page wages, clear debt any number of things.

i cannot see us spending 35million on new players in the summer.

and the new contract for CT i'd imagine is simply a way to tie him to the club and automatically up the asking price from any potential buyers.

I don't think most think ALL the money will be spent just bringing in players. The club has said books have to balance but this deal won't have had to touch the £35m as the wages of the two players will be enough to cover tiotes new wages. So we still have £35m to spend on new wages and transfers. Remember wage bill may go down again in the summer if short term strikers and midfielders go and other players like Barton take wage cuts.

Or a better deal to protect the asset. I am surprised people still think we sold because of a transfer request & a pay rise WE sold because of a £35 million bid.

Yup.  And if it were my decision, one of the first questions I'd ask myself is if I really felt I could get the same 35M for him in the summer.

Absolutely delighted. Well worth the money and the length of the contract is brilliant, total commitment to us and a midfielder we can build a team around. Unexpected, fuk this waiting till were safe bollocks, Tiote gets the job done, no fannying about.  :clap:

This is awesome news, sent shivers up my spine when I heard about it.

There is no real comparison between this and the AC case, but if i had to choose between AC and CT going forward, I would have chosen CT every time. He offers a much better style of football going forward than AC ever will in the sense that he gives the attacking mids so much more freedom to play attractive football rather than the long ball we had to play to AC. It's great that we have him tied down for his best years, can't fault MA on this one.

One of the points I was trying to make, you've just got it across better.

In my opinion it would have been better to award the contract to him at the end of the season, rather than to throw it at him in an attempt to appease the masses/players.