Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

I can't believe people seem happy to go along with the possibility of us selling Tiote who is one of the best players of his type that we've had since I've been watching us.  If it was that easy to pick a Tiote up we'd have been doing it for years and we haven’t. 

If we are going to progress then we’ll have to draw a line in the sand and say we’re not selling our best players and now is the time to do that while we’re on the up.  We’re doing much better than anybody could have guessed 3 months ago, why not try to build on that instead of going for a profit that we’ll not see?

I can't believe people seem happy to go along with the possibility of us selling Tiote who is one of the best players of his type that we've had since I've been watching us.  If it was that easy to pick a Tiote up we'd have been doing it for years and we haven’t. 

If we are going to progress then we’ll have to draw a line in the sand and say we’re not selling our best players and now is the time to do that while we’re on the up.  We’re doing much better than anybody could have guessed 3 months ago, why not try to build on that instead of going for a profit that we’ll not see?

Spot on. We're supposed to believe that the sale of Andy Carroll helped us keep players like Tiote, and that £35m is being used within the club accordingly - not necessarily on transfer fees. But now it could also be acceptable to sell Tiote too? What the fuck?

Someone on here was laughed at the other day for suggesting we should cash in on Coloccini now he's seemingly stalling on a new contract, and buy someone else with the money. I think he was taking the piss, but ultimately what's the difference?

:thup:

The sentiment is great, but it's not going to happen and to expect otherwise is simply false hope. The club are following a modified Ajax-model - buy low, improve the player's reputation, sell high, repeat. I don't think any player in the club is exempt from this and that will be the case as long as the current owners are in the driving seat. It's a gamble, especially in terms of finding the right replacements, but the silver lining is that if the players are performing well enough for the model to work, then our league position should at least reflect that.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Yep.

Really don't think people understand quite how important this guy is. Some very strange comments in here.

I came on here a couple of weeks when I heard about the man utd stuff I was since told his agents is looking for houses in both London and Manchester, I never mentioned it because I was laughed off the forum and accused of being a mackem.

Because Ashley makes the decisions, if you asked every fan if they were the owner would they sell Tiote? 95% would say no. The point is we know what Ashley will do therefore at least if he is sold we have a good scouting system to try replace him as best as possible.

Having said that, Tiote is on a long term contract and I wouldn't be thinking about selling in January.

Could be both it is tiote we are talking about, I am seeing the lad who told me this week he us the one who knows the agent - maybe ge is keeping his options open

The sentiment is great, but it's not going to happen and to expect otherwise is simply false hope. The club are following a modified Ajax-model - buy low, improve the player's reputation, sell high, repeat. I don't think any player in the club is exempt from this and that will be the case as long as the current owners are in the driving seat. It's a gamble, especially in terms of finding the right replacements, but the silver lining is that if the players are performing well enough for the model to work, then our league position should at least reflect that.

I don't see how expecting to hold on to our better players should be seen as false hope.  You don't have to sell players to increase revenue and it's just the easy way out for the club.  If we increase our performances on the field then that should be reflected in our performance off the field.  It’s been shown time after time that we’ve increased our income substantially when we’ve been doing well in the league and been playing in Europe.

Getting to the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup would bring in something like £8 million a year and getting that far in that competition isn’t too difficult.  We look to be very close to being able to take the step needed.  Being in a league position to qualify would probably require a 6th place finish and that alone would bring in over £3 million when compared to where we finished last season.

If we try to sell and buy constantly to increase our income then sooner or later it will go wrong and turn to shit.  We will have to start showing some ambition if we're to avoind going backwards and now would be as good a time as any.

Yep.

Really don't think people understand quite how important this guy is. Some very strange comments in here.

I think most people know how good and important he is, however we are well aware of what our ownership will do if presented with a suitably high bid.

I don't see how expecting to hold on to our better players should be seen as false hope.  You don't have to sell players to increase revenue and it's just the easy way out for the club.  If we increase our performances on the field then that should be reflected in our performance off the field.  It’s been shown time after time that we’ve increased our income substantially when we’ve been doing well in the league and been playing in Europe.

Getting to the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup would bring in something like £8 million a year and getting that far in that competition isn’t too difficult.  We look to be very close to being able to take the step needed.  Being in a league position to qualify would probably require a 6th place finish and that alone would bring in over £3 million when compared to where we finished last season.

If we try to sell and buy constantly to increase our income then sooner or later it will go wrong and turn to shit.  We will have to start showing some ambition if we're to avoind going backwards and now would be as good a time as any.

We should start showing ambition, yes. Tell that Mike and Derek....

Guest Brendan_Rice

Maybe Tiote is just building a property portfolio.I wouldn't put it past a lad with a lightbulb for a heed.

Love that :D

We'd need a far bigger and better squad to play in Europe mind, the cracks are already beginning to show this season without all those extra fixtures.

But where do we progress to? Unless we get a sugar daddy in or one of the top four (and. Liverpool) lose their own or suffer a massive downturn, it's highly unlikely we'll be able to compete for a Champion's League spot for a long time. The Europa League is a joke of a tournament, and odds are a Champion's League drop-out (an absurd situation) will knock you out anyway. When we had champions only in the European Cup, the superb UEFA Cup and an FA Cup that was valued, progressing to something of value seemed realistic. Not now though. The abomination that is the expanded Champion's League has seen to that.

And from a player perspective, again, the prospect of progressing to the Europa League or later rounds of the FA Cup is hardly enticing if you're talented. The expanded Champion's League has devalued the second tiers so much that any half decent player will not want to stick around.

His current gaff is up for sale and has been for almost 6 weeks.

That's not his current house. He just moved into a new house in Jesmond 6 weeks ago.

Why were his cars parked outside the Lindisfarne Close gaff a couple of weeks back?

But where do we progress to? Unless we get a sugar daddy in or one of the top four (and. Liverpool) lose their own or suffer a massive downturn, it's highly unlikely we'll be able to compete for a Champion's League spot for a long time. The Europa League is a joke of a tournament, and odds are a Champion's League drop-out (an absurd situation) will knock you out anyway. When we had champions only in the European Cup, the superb UEFA Cup and an FA Cup that was valued, progressing to something of value seemed realistic. Not now though. The abomination that is the expanded Champion's League has seen to that.

And from a player perspective, again, the prospect of progressing to the Europa League or later rounds of the FA Cup is hardly enticing if you're talented. The expanded Champion's League has devalued the second tiers so much that any half decent player will not want to stick around.

Where do we progress to is a daft question considering we're coming off the back of a 12th place in the league.

As for Europe, it's clearly a draw and Fulham made over 10million euros when they reached the final.  That was just from UEFA and didn't include what they gained from other sources because of the extra publicity and games.