Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

He's got a decent strike when striking the ball when its on the floor (Arsenal aside). It seems to be when it gets heading out of the box or its bouncing that he cant master. Its in those situations he should just bring the ball down and keep possesion.

And Pardew should be having a word with him about it to be honest.

With some time still left in the window, it was a concern seeing Manyoo's midfield bossed around against Everton. It was their big weakness last year too.

They're still a finesse-orientated midfield, and such a far cry from the unit dominated by Keane's authoritive presence in the middle of the park. When the run-of-play swings against this lot (via possession numbers) their midfield lacks a physical presence who will stand-up & be counted, and at least attempt to wrestle back the momentum ie. get things back to basics & a level playing field. Overall Tiote's possession retention is very good too.

For where they are right now, Tiote's a perfect fit for Manyoo.

Guest BooBoo

Tiote is not Man Utd standard IMO. His passing is too erratic. He excels when we're on the back foot, especially away from home. At Man Utd, that doesn't happen often with the onus on them usually to attack. Ferguson has had his fair share of defensive midfielders but they've nearly always been good ball players.

Guest bimpy474

All the teams linked with him simply dont need him, seeing as they have all signed players in central midfield.

Papers talking complete bollocks shocker.

Tiote is not Man Utd standard IMO. His passing is too erratic. He excels when we're on the back foot, especially away from home. At Man Utd, that doesn't happen often with the onus on them usually to attack. Ferguson has had his fair share of defensive midfielders but they've nearly always been good ball players.

I think Tiote is more than good enough to play for most teams in the league personally. To say he only excels when we're on the back foot is a bit harsh too, if I remember rightly he run things when we beat Chelsea last year. I also think Tiote's short passing is superb, and he is always around to receive a pass which is a very good trait of a defensive midfielder.

I do, however think that he wants to do more than just what he's good at sometimes, and tries to be all-action, i.e. playing long balls, and shooting when he shouldn't etc. When he plays his game, there aren't many better at what he does, IMO.

Why the hell are the BBC leading with a picture of Cheik above the "Sportsday - Latest Transfer News" link, I've just spilt tea over my keyboard in sheer panic. That will be another piece of equipment IT will need to replace.

Why the hell are the BBC leading with a picture of Cheik above the "Sportsday - Latest Transfer News" link, I've just spilt tea over my keyboard in sheer panic. That will be another piece of equipment IT will need to replace.

Their "Gossip column" consists of a link to caughtoffside.com which carries a story that Arsenal might want to replace Song with him.

So we cool.

Gets on my tits how the crowd still yell Shoot every time he gets the ball in the opposition half. Arsenal was 18 months ago, move on and accept his shooting is, to be kind, not his strength.

Agreed.

At least Jonas puts them on frame.

Gets on my tits how the crowd still yell Shoot every time he gets the ball in the opposition half. Arsenal was 18 months ago, move on and accept his shooting is, to be kind, not his strength.

Agreed.

At least Jonas puts them on frame.

Jonas is the opposite, I wish he would shoot a lot more because he threatens a lot more than not.

Thread bump sent a shiver down my spine.

Hope his knee is fine for Saturday.

Think sewelly posted something earlier saying he could be out for a month at the most. don't think it was confirmed or anything though

Guest andrew

aye, he seems to be picking up quite a lot in this past year. can't see him playing tbh, worrying as anita had to play 90 minutes in the heat less than 2 days ago.

aye, he seems to be picking up quite a lot in this past year. can't see him playing tbh, worrying as anita had to play 90 minutes in the heat less than 2 days ago.

very much so, seems a bit odd that pardew has commented on ba and colo in press but nothing on Tiote? I just assumes I had missed the info.