Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Tbh can see Cabaye having his head turned by Arsenal a bit, but we should be able to price them out. We need to send a message that we only sell early in the window so we can replace, realistically it's how the club will be run and I don't mind with Carr scouting, but panic selling and buying would be a disaster.

its just lazy journalism, the reason they went for Sahin is Wenger thought he could get him on the cheap to fill a gap while they wait for Wilshire to get fit or one of their younger players ready for first team action. Can't see Arsenal spending much if anything before the deadline

They do need a defensive midfielder but so does half the league. Surprised they haven't made a proper attempt for M'Vila but bleh. I'd like to think now is when our emphasis on squad unity pays off and players are happy to stay.

Personally i don't think we missed him as much as people are saying, we looked good defensively for me yesterday i can't remember Chelsea creating much apart from the Torres goal and the penalty.

It's in the creative side of the game where we struggled, don't get me wrong though i hope he's fit for the next game.

I'd be absolutely f***ing seething if we sold him to Arsenal. No reason whatsoever why we can't finish above them this year.

My thoughts exactly. Hope we don't sell to them, and I think I'd try to hold out for more. Feel that they are there to be shot at, while Spurs and Liverpool could be as well if they don't gel with their new managers.

Guest Phil K

There'll be as much anger, if not more on selling Tiote than Carroll. Tiote's made it clear he's happy here. Which will mean he was forced out. Worried about Ben Arfa and Collo too. No, I DON'T trust Mr A

There'll be as much anger, if not more on selling Tiote than Carroll. Tiote's made it clear he's happy here. Which will mean he was forced out. Worried about Ben Arfa and Collo too. No, I DON'T trust Mr A

Colo is the last non-Geordie lad I would see leaving tbh.

Selling Tiote would destroy the fans, because right now it feels so good that have what seems a good manager, good players and good football and good potential. If we sell Tiote it undermines all of that good feeling and makes you feel we have taken a few steps back. Of course silly money can over-rule that, you have to accept that every player has his price and that there are clubs who can match that, but if it's not for major bucks then it will be depressing. We need him.

I think Tiote tbh is less attached to the club than Carroll was. Not saying Carroll wasn't a bit complicit but never trust footballers saying how happy they are. That said wouldn't have signed that new contract otherwise, everything says he's reasonably comfortable but no reason big wages and champions league couldn't turn his head.

Colo is too old to make much profit and too good to sell for what anyone will offer realistically. Also I would feel severely betrayed if he did want to go to another club (except maybe return to argentina one day I suppose)

Anita didn't come to sit on the bench - selling Tiote for at least a 10M profit fits in with what we know of Ashley. The fact the we also bought Bigi as an up and coming youngster it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Tiote is allowed to leave. We'll survive and I've little doubt that creatively Anita is a far better player. Just hope that his defensive play is up to the job in the PL - it was a very niaive challenge for the penalty yday.

It's been stated by journos before £20m is apparently the asking price, which seems low to me, but if we'd sold him in first week of window and bought a like for like replacement Carr scouted and several prospects for the same price I don't think we'd have come out of it terribly. Don't get me wrong I'd miss Tiote's attitude and I'd fret about messing with a winning team, but that's how we're going to operate if Ashley isn't (and he's not) willing to just continually inject his own money in.

Anita didn't come to sit on the bench - selling Tiote for at least a 10M profit fits in with what we know of Ashley. The fact the we also bought Bigi as an up and coming youngster it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Tiote is allowed to leave. We'll survive and I've little doubt that creatively Anita is a far better player. Just hope that his defensive play is up to the job in the PL - it was a very niaive challenge for the penalty yday.

Which is ?

yeah i think it was Ferguson who said that teams were asking for too much for players which is why he hadnt bolstered the midfield, think he went on to quote us having asked for £20m for tiote.

I f***ing hate that attitude, clubs are asking too much! It's almost like they don't want to sell their best players to Man U! I know we're victims of it too with Lille, but at least the player there did want to come to us, and don't really blame them for trying ot get us to pay through the nose