Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

.............................Krul................. ...........

Debuchey......Colo...........Saylor........Santon

............................Tiote

........-..Cabaye......................Sissoko

.....Barfa...............Cisse....................?

hope the ? is someone who's natural game involves getting in the box as that line up, for all it looks good, has similar problems to last seasons in cisse being isolated. I'm struggling to remember many if any occasions that ben arfa received or was in a position to receive the ball in the box, i don't put that down to tactics but it just not being in his game.

This. Exactly why our 4-3-3 worked so well despite Ba not being a natural left winger - he always wanted to get into the box.

it's also why we tried for de jong, remy and PEA imo.

Guest bimpy474

I wouldn't play Cisse up top in any formation that leaves him isolated as his hold up play is awful. Get players around him, gotta hope Pardew will do so.

Sissoko's never a #10. Not sure he's even a good player imo. Loses the ball a terrible amount. Probably a CM or wide forward imo.

Rubbish. He's shown his ability since the age of 18, and he walked onto the pitch against one of the top 10 teams in Europe and was immediately the best player on the pitch.The boy is a workhorse. Pardew tried to turn him into artist because we lack creativity. Look at the man, the sheer pace and power, the will, the rage. Do you look at someone like that and tell them to play a position where they need to be patient and precise? Sissoko has the talent for it and posses those attributes, but it's limiting for him. He played too far up the pitch in a team that was broken, and I thought he still was an important player for the team and one of our better performers. People have been on a crusade to denigrate our players lately, I don't understand some of it. There are differences between playing below the standard you've set over 5+ years and simply being inadequate.

Sissoko's never a #10. Not sure he's even a good player imo. Loses the ball a terrible amount. Probably a CM or wide forward imo.

Rubbish. He's shown his ability since the age of 18, and he walked onto the pitch against one of the top 10 teams in Europe and was immediately the best player on the pitch.The boy is a workhorse. Pardew tried to turn him into artist because we lack creativity. Look at the man, the sheer pace and power, the will, the rage. Do you look at someone like that and tell them to play a position where they need to be patient and precise? Sissoko has the talent for it and posses those attributes, but it's limiting for him. He played too far up the pitch in a team that was broken, and I thought he still was an important player for the team and one of our better performers. People have been on a crusade to denigrate our players lately, I don't understand some of it. There are differences between playing below the standard you've set over 5+ years and simply being inadequate.

Quality. :lol:

:thup:

Boom.

Course he's a good player. In a lot of ways he's the perfect partner for Cabaye.

Yep, Sissoko's physicality and style should allow Cabaye to stick to what he's good at more. I find it exciting that they both have attacking qualities, Sissoko could be lethal on the counter next year with more options ahead of him when moving forward, while Cabaye can be the one to dictate when we're in possession and building attacks.

Baba's nailed it really, the lad had gained quite a reputation in France, and for good reason. We should be putting him right in the heart of it next year in the middle of the park, he's built for it in this league. I imagine the majority of central midfielders would be bricking it at the thought of having to spend a match battling with him.

A player like Cabaye will always be more suited partnered next to a box to box type then he would a limited destroyer who offers nothing offensively.

In fact if you go through most successful teams that have used 2 in midfield very rarely do you see a destroyer or sitting dm, you see a box to box and a centre midfielder who sprays the ball about. ( See practically every Ferguson team in history)

Never understand the fascination behind wanting a destroyer myself and i hope we see more of Sissoko-Cabaye next season and less of Tiote-Cabaye.

Course he's a good player. In a lot of ways he's the perfect partner for Cabaye.

i really think he's what HBA needs as well if he's allowed to get beyond the ball from deep, said it from the first time i saw him play

but reading this thread is laughable, we've got pardiola in charge so he'll either be deployed as the #10 again or told to stand still in midfield and protect the defence

Can't say any of our midfielders have looked good enough in all aspects to play as part of a MF duo. Especially as they would largely be playing against a 3 man midfield.

Sissoko might do if he can prove he has the fitness, drive an intensity to keep it up over 90 minutes every week.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/319952/?

CHEICK TIOTE DECLARES LONG-TERM FUTURE TO NEWCASTLE

CHEICK TIOTE has given boss Alan Pardew a timely boost by declaring his ­intent to stay at Newcastle for the long term.

While team-mates Yohan Cabaye and Papiss Cisse have, in the past week, cast doubts on their Toon ­futures, the Ivory Coast midfielder has no thoughts about moving on.

Indeed, after indifferent form last term, Tiote wants to lead Newcastle’s charge up the table in the forthcoming campaign.

“I will be a Newcastle player next season and want to play here for many years to come,” he said.

“Last year was difficult but we can again challenge for Europe.”

Yippeeeeee!!!

The one player most people could care less about selling...

Still think and hope he will turn it around and become the beast once again. All dependent on Pardew growing a brain and using him as he should be used. We shall see.

To be fair to Tiote he has been almost an unofficial vice captain, always seems to be first in the press to talk up the club and stick up for it or players in hard times. If he actually played with the level head that he uses for his PR exercises we might see him back to his best.

I would keep him easily, dont think he is as bad as people make out. Was being asked to do to much last season. Yes he gives ball away a bit but mostly from trying to retain it when there is no movement in front of him

Guest SweMatt

I would keep him easily, dont think he is as bad as people make out. Was being asked to do to much last season. Yes he gives ball away a bit but mostly from trying to retain it when there is no movement in front of him

He should be played strictly as a ball winning midfielder. When he's got that role he manages to cover huge areas of the pitch defensively as well. That way, you could give Cabaye, Sissoko and Ben Arfa more freedom to be involved on the other half of the pitch. It's a mystery that Pardew can't see this (along with a few other things...).  :)

He should be played strictly as a ball winning midfielder. When he's got that role he manages to cover huge areas of the pitch defensively as well. That way, you could give Cabaye, Sissoko and Ben Arfa more freedom to be involved on the other half of the pitch. It's a mystery that Pardew can't see this (along with a few other things...).  :)

Agree with both. I'm not sure Tiote's decline is down to Pardew asking him to do too much... I would say it's as much to do with the desperation in our side generally and also opponents working out how to pressure him and nick the ball.

Last season was just a mess for Tiote. Missed 7 of our first 8 with injury, plays another 4 and then gets sent off and out for 3 more etc

Dealing with injury, lack of match fitness & then everyone saying you're a liability when you finally make it back. He went over the top trying to assert himself after a pretty rubbish/unfortunate start to the season. Just needs a good pre season, start afresh & to show the obvious ability he showed not long back.

Last season was just a mess for Tiote. Missed 7 of our first 8 with injury, plays another 4 and then gets sent off and out for 3 more etc

Dealing with injury, lack of match fitness & then everyone saying you're a liability when you finally make it back. He went over the top trying to assert himself after a pretty rubbish/unfortunate start to the season. Just needs a good pre season, start afresh & to show the obvious ability he showed not long back.

Agree, it's not time to write him off yet.

Guest reefatoon

True. He also needs his midfield partner to play in front of him and not behind him like Cabaye always seems to want to do.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/319952/?

CHEICK TIOTE DECLARES LONG-TERM FUTURE TO NEWCASTLE

CHEICK TIOTE has given boss Alan Pardew a timely boost by declaring his ­intent to stay at Newcastle for the long term.

While team-mates Yohan Cabaye and Papiss Cisse have, in the past week, cast doubts on their Toon ­futures, the Ivory Coast midfielder has no thoughts about moving on.

Indeed, after indifferent form last term, Tiote wants to lead Newcastle’s charge up the table in the forthcoming campaign.

“I will be a Newcastle player next season and want to play here for many years to come,” he said.

“Last year was difficult but we can again challenge for Europe.”

Yippeeeeee!!!

Argh, was hoping he'd piss off this summer. One of the worst players last season, absolutely horrendous.