Newcastle United 6 - 0 Aston Villa - 22/08/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

Guest malandro

i honestly thought villa couldn't get any worse 2nd half, so i was expecting a small onslaught 2nd half! we actually got better and they got worse!  shoud of been 8 or 9 in the end!

happy days

Villa gave up after the third goal. In fact they pretty much fell to pieces ‘psychologically’ after the pen miss/Barton wonder strike. This isn’t to take away from our performance, we took our opportunity brilliantly and simply ground Villa into submission with our tenacity.

I fancy if MON had still been in charge they’d have shown a lot more character.

8 hours on and I'm still unsure what to make of this game. As said earlier, I don't think the Premier League will witness a more inept defensive performance this season but hey, full credit for taking advantage of it and the confidence this brings must be huge. You've got a smashing chance of getting, say, 7 points after 4 games and I assume anyone would have absolutely taken that when the fixtures were published. Superb stuff.

8 hours on and I'm still unsure what to make of this game. As said earlier, I don't think the Premier League will witness a more inept defensive performance this season but hey, full credit for taking advantage of it and the confidence this brings must be huge. You've got a smashing chance of getting, say, 7 points after 4 games and I assume anyone would have absolutely taken that when the fixtures were published. Superb stuff.

Someone hasn't seen Wigan this season.

It's three points from the first game tbh. A draw at Wolves would be a stonking result but we're shite at Molineux and they're a reasonable side.

This word should only be used when describing a hard-on.

Guest optimistic nit

The last goal is unbelievable really.

In the very final seconds of the game, we're 5-0 up, Carroll after having worked his arse off for 92 and a half minutes and having just played a f***ing beautiful pass, decides to make a 40 yard run just in case he'll get there before the final whistle. Xisco plays a perfect through ball and Carroll is as calm and composed as any top striker in the world when he takes the first touch to set it up for his left and then slots in like he's David Villa.

Fantastic stuff, and what a way to end a perfect return to SJP in the league we belong.

After the first went in I was waiting for us to sit back and try to cling on. Same for the second and third. When the fourth went in it was clear Hughton had went a bit Keegan in the dressing room.

I was stunned by our first ten minutes in the second half like. I feared Villa would come out all guns blazing and we would start to crumble and they might nick a goal and be back in it, but then it's the complete opposite. Barton was everywhere during that ten minute spell, and we barely even let them out of their own half. By the 55 minute mark I was starting to get confident that we'd win.

I stopped counting the minutes required to hold on for the win around the 55-60 minute mark :lol:

Same.

:lol:

:lol: aye

Guest prestonj1989

Anyone else catch Xisco's celebration for the 6th? It was really nice to see a player care that much and he hadn't even scored. Hopefully this will give him that boost but it's great to see how much he wants it.

Saw a slight glimpse of it on TV. I thought it was nice the way Carroll genuinely appreciated the assist when celebrating with Xisco.

Guest neesy111

Today showed what a shit team villa really are IMO, they've over-achieved last few seasons and will brought back to earth this season!

Guest firetotheworks

You haven't watched Wigan or West Ham yet then?

Anyone else catch Xisco's celebration for the 6th? It was really nice to see a player care that much and he hadn't even scored. Hopefully this will give him that boost but it's great to see how much he wants it.

Saw a slight glimpse of it on TV. I thought it was nice the way Carroll genuinely appreciated the assist when celebrating with Xisco.

Aye, MOTD didn't catch it but he smashed the ball into the back of the net, then started shouting and fist-pumping to the crowd. He seemed genuinely ecstatic.

It's three points from the first game tbh. A draw at Wolves would be a stonking result but we're shite at Molineux and they're a reasonable side.

Very winnable game at Wolves. If we can get a bit of momentum going then we could/should be looking to win games like this.

It'll be tough but we shouldn't be scared of them.

This game was an anamoly. A statistical outlier. We are no as bad as the media as the media would have you think, but if you simulate the result of this match 100 times, NUFC will win 6-0 less than one time. I'm happy with the three points and the ability to bounce back from a sound defeat, but let us calm down and look forward instead of celebrating small glories.

Carroll, Barton, and Nolan are not as good as their performances today indicated, but there are some things we can take from this. Andy Carrol CAN successfully lead the line by himself in the Premiership. Kevin Nolan's skillset WILL translate to the Premiership. Joey Barton HAS the ability to still be a very effective player in this division.

Niel... Newcastle look like full of powerful player compared Aston Villa piss poor weak... they are too lightweight... it is not about defensive inept which clearly Aston villa also been good at defensive tactically... its simply Newcastle players out-muscled each time in ball winning situation (because we have better player physically). No Matter how good your tactical defend if you player too light weight in challenge getting the ball.. surely they still lose. In matter a fact i don't see any Aston villa player got good engine & powerful even on their sub apart from heskey.

Very winnable game at Wolves. If we can get a bit of momentum going then we could/should be looking to win games like this.

Says the one preaching about 'not getting carried away'.

:pow:

How bad was the referee today, from what i saw the wanker didn't have a clue!

Agree with this. Some really bizarre decisions. I remember one where Carew just pulled Williamson's shirt then pushed him out of the way before running onto a through ball. The referee was about 5 yards away and gave nothing. Williamson went ballistic.

Says the one preaching about 'not getting carried away'.

:pow:

I'm not getting carried away. Wolves were one of the teams I thought we had a chance of finishing above and if we apply ourselves like we did today then we'll get a result. :)

Guest firetotheworks

How bad was the referee today, from what i saw the w***** didn't have a clue!

Had a good game apart from missing the Dunne on Smith.

This.

That Ashley Young handball spot was top class.

How bad was the referee today, from what i saw the w***** didn't have a clue!

Had a good game apart from missing the Dunne on Smith.

This.

That Ashley Young handball spot was top class.

I must have eyes like a hawk then 'cos I saw it from level 7.