Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I think his main problem is he wants to do the same role as Colo, he tends to sit back and go for blocking rather than go out and stop the shots coming in at the source. He did well though, the real test for his partnership with Coloccini will be when we are up against a forward with pace and power in the air.

Some daft moments but a good display overall. Looks old with the grey hair mind.

the only daft moments I remember were necessary. the diving header clearence after taking a blaster off the head and the dive to try and bloke hernandez when Krul saved. He actually played very well today, more concerned about his staying fit than his capabilities as a back up centre half.

He played well and put his body in the way as he does. So relieved when he didn't manage to punch the ball away from Hernadez when Krul saved. It was a typical Taylor moment.

was he trying to punch it ? thought his arms were by his side, torpedo style.

I've always thought that he's a steady CB, it's just every so often he's prone to a blatant error. In my opinion he's better at RB.

All in all I would say he's no worse than the average CB, sometimes gets a bit too much stick.

:facepalm:

He played well and put his body in the way as he does. So relieved when he didn't manage to punch the ball away from Hernadez when Krul saved. It was a typical Taylor moment.

was he trying to punch it ? thought his arms were by his side, torpedo style.

I thought he was trying to head it

Him and Coloccini today haven't played like that together in four years, credit where it's because nobody expected it.

tbf I think it's like some have said, they had no aerial threat from open play and little pace running at them.

They were suited to what Man United threw at us no doubt. But I still expected Coloccini to be beaten in the air by Hernandez for their 4th goal while Taylor stood with his thumb up his arse while Rooney ghosted in for the 5th. Pleasant surprise all round really.

The season we finished fifth we were rock solid in the first 10-11 games. We didn't look as good after Taylor snapped his achilles against Chelsea. I firmly believe that (prior to Mbemba settling as we don't know how that's going to pan out) him and Colo are the best pairing we have.

I'd love to see the stats of goals conceded over the past few years when him and Colo have played together, as oppose to when it's been Williamson or someone else.

On the assumption that the hierarchy won't sign another centre half I hope he can stay fit enough to play 25+ games this season.

He looks to be a bit less top heavy than he has been recently. Definitely added to his mobility/agility when on the pitch, as he doesn't turn like a tanker any more.

Wonder if he's been advised to do that to prevent injury more?

Ah, the Steven Taylor cycle. It's almost as regular as the Sunderland cycle.

Start the season with everyone writing you off - Have a couple of stellar, backs to the wall style games - get praised. "Maybe this time" - have a few moments where you are absolute mince - handle the ball comically - get injured - put on your horrific suit to go and roll out cliches on Monday Night Football - sit out the rest of the season and post questionably racist tweets on twitter in your spare time. Repeat.

Ah, the Steven Taylor cycle. It's almost as regular as the Sunderland cycle.

Start the season with everyone writing you off - Have a couple of stellar, backs to the wall style games - get praised. "Maybe this time" - have a few moments where you are absolute mince - handle the ball comically - get injured - put on your horrific suit to go and roll out cliches on Monday Night Football - sit out the rest of the season and post questionably racist tweets on twitter in your spare time. Repeat.

:lol: think you've covered pretty much everything there

Tbf, he was very good on Saturday. If we'd signed a new CB and he'd played like Taylor did we'd all be delighted.

I really hope he can keep this going and have, for the first time in his career, a very good season.

Tbf, he was very good on Saturday. If we'd signed a new CB and he'd played like Taylor did we'd all be delighted.

I really hope he can keep this going and have, for the first time in his career, a very good season.

We all know how it's going to go unfortunately. We've done this dance many times already.

He had a great season when we finished 5th, all 14 games he played :lol:

Not going to happen - injury-prone and always has been...and for long periods too.

We need a PL class CB.....like pronto.

7 days to go.....

Not going to happen - injury-prone and always has been...and for long periods too.

We need a PL class CB.....like pronto.

7 days to go.....

http://deluxmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/pronto.jpg ?