Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/time-up-for-steven-taylor-newcastle-united/

Well who would have thought we were capable of this after the derby and I have to ask the question, time up for Steven Taylor?

Having carried out the now annual ‘movember’ tash growing I am debating as to whether I should carry on growing until we lose? All comments below….

steven taylor newcastleWatching us look increasingly more solid in the past few weeks I was frustrated for Mbiwa that he didn’t get the nod ahead of Colo. I know a lot of people shared my view that given Colo’s continuous mumbles about leaving, we should start to really push Yanga. However, it has been the emergence of Mike Williamson that has surprised us all.

On Saturday he was again magnificent, particularly in the last 20 minutes where he won every header and seemed to take complete control of the defence. I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, mine included, but you can’t help but be full of praise for the way he has come back into our team.

This brings me to my main point in the article. What now for Steven Taylor?

Now I know that the majority of fans will praise Taylor to the hills. He’s a local lad who puts his body on the line for the club, no arguments there. However, that there is where the problem lies. At the highest level you need more than that. You need composure, concentration and football brain, three things Taylor sadly lacks. Quite simply put, I have thought for a while that he is our worst centre back. If I’m honest I think he’s a liability who is often unfit and makes too many rash mistakes and stupid sending offs.

Now I’m sure a lot of fans will disagree but player for player is he better than Williamson? I don’t think he is and we all know how much flak he gets. To be honest if he wasn’t a Geordie would any of us care if he left? I’m not sure we would. I would suggest any fan to look at his injury record over the past 5 years and say is he worth another 4 year deal?

Don’t get me wrong I love his little stamp tales about Sunderland but quite simply if this club is going to try to reach the heights of two seasons ago and beyond, people like Steven Taylor need to be replaced.

Iron Mike may not be our future but right now he is by far and away our best defender in my opinion and credit to him for changing mine and many others’ opinions. Taylor must now do the same but quite honestly I don’t see any way back into the team for him in the near future.

I’m afraid it’s time up for Taylor.

If you were to pile each player's strengths and weaknesses alongside each other - Taylor and Willo's individual value to the squad is very similar.

Purely in terms of talent, Taylor is probably the better player. He's had numerous spells like Willo's current form; looking imperious whilst providing an additional goal-threat. Willo's resurgence has been great, but I think it's the scale of that resurgence that's raised eyebrows, as opposed to him delivering truly spectacular performances. We're used to him being a bit rubbish but he's had consecutive 8/10s, which is hardly something that Taylor can be jealous of. He's done that before.

So, man to man, they're very similar, with Taylor probably edging it thanks to his attacking abilities.

But if we're discussing who you'd rather sell, it would be Taylor. He'd probably command a bigger fee and he's injury prone. Williamson's more reliable purely because his natural fitness is better.

Willo's a bit of a leader. Very important imo.

Yeah. That's sorta what I'm getting at really. Williamson's a better leader yet Taylor's better in front of goal. Williamson's fitter yet Taylor's better in the tackle. As players they just-about even out imo.

Guest neesy111

Assuming neither of them will be first choice, I would much rather keep Williamson for all sorts of reasons.

Williamson is a much more likable character.  He's ahead of Taylor for me now on the football stakes as well.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/time-up-for-steven-taylor-newcastle-united/

Well who would have thought we were capable of this after the derby and I have to ask the question, time up for Steven Taylor?

Having carried out the now annual ‘movember’ tash growing I am debating as to whether I should carry on growing until we lose? All comments below….

steven taylor newcastleWatching us look increasingly more solid in the past few weeks I was frustrated for Mbiwa that he didn’t get the nod ahead of Colo. I know a lot of people shared my view that given Colo’s continuous mumbles about leaving, we should start to really push Yanga. However, it has been the emergence of Mike Williamson that has surprised us all.

On Saturday he was again magnificent, particularly in the last 20 minutes where he won every header and seemed to take complete control of the defence. I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, mine included, but you can’t help but be full of praise for the way he has come back into our team.

This brings me to my main point in the article. What now for Steven Taylor?

Now I know that the majority of fans will praise Taylor to the hills. He’s a local lad who puts his body on the line for the club, no arguments there. However, that there is where the problem lies. At the highest level you need more than that. You need composure, concentration and football brain, three things Taylor sadly lacks. Quite simply put, I have thought for a while that he is our worst centre back. If I’m honest I think he’s a liability who is often unfit and makes too many rash mistakes and stupid sending offs.

Now I’m sure a lot of fans will disagree but player for player is he better than Williamson? I don’t think he is and we all know how much flak he gets. To be honest if he wasn’t a Geordie would any of us care if he left? I’m not sure we would. I would suggest any fan to look at his injury record over the past 5 years and say is he worth another 4 year deal?

Don’t get me wrong I love his little stamp tales about Sunderland but quite simply if this club is going to try to reach the heights of two seasons ago and beyond, people like Steven Taylor need to be replaced.

Iron Mike may not be our future but right now he is by far and away our best defender in my opinion and credit to him for changing mine and many others’ opinions. Taylor must now do the same but quite honestly I don’t see any way back into the team for him in the near future.

I’m afraid it’s time up for Taylor.

Stupid and irresponsible article, mind. Mapou's still very much finding his feet in this country, Williamson's 30 years old and Colo is finished and wanting off.

Guest BenArfa10

Absolutely no way should we consider selling Taylor, the unprecedented and outstanding form of Williamson, the emergence of MYM and the fact that Colo is captain is resulting him not even making the bench at the moment though. He will be back once we get injuries but he is going to have to work damn hard to get in the team based on our last 5 weeks of football.

Guest Howaythetoon

It is all about reliability and talent and Williamson is more reliable and Mapou more talented. Taylor has what it takes to be a fine PL centre-back in terms of ability and attributes but his fitness and mental attitude lacks what it takes to be a consistently good player and therefore at this stage of his career and what we require, it would be best for all concerned if he moved on and we upgraded to be honest. I wouldn't be averse to keeping him though.

Tooj rejoices:

Newcastle defender Steven Taylor could be on the move in next month's transfer window, his agent has told Sky Sports.

Taylor has been forced to watch from the sidelines in recent weeks as Newcastle have embarked on a winning run in the Premier League.

The 27-year-old has even found himself left out of Alan Pardew's matchday squad in the last six games despite being back to fitness after injury.

Taylor has not featured since the defeat by Manchester City on the opening weekend of the season and is frustrated with his lack of first-team opportunities.

Taylor, who has been promised a new deal by director of football Joe Kinnear, could now be made available on loan for January or even for a cut-price fee of £1.5million.

The player's agent, Willie McKay, confirmed Taylor could go out on loan in search of first-team football.

"Steven is now fully fit, but he is frustrated not to be playing as that is what he loves doing," McKay told Sky Sports.

"He has not been involved for the last six games and of course it is frustrating.

"Steven fully understands that the team have been on a good winning run and the manager does not want to change a winning team.

"Joe Kinnear has promised Steven a new deal in January and he could be made available for loan if he is not going to be playing for Newcastle."

Don't think anybody would be unhappy if we sold him and then brought in somebody that would improve us like. (A big if with these fuckwits in charge mind)

I think most of the fans finally realised what he was all about with his idiocy on our first game of the season.

Saying that mind with Colo's situation we'd need two if he went.

Move him on, free the wages up and pick up another french lad at half the cost.

Who would have taylor?  mackems, West ham (striker issues), Palace, Norwich, Stoke...I cant see anyone else really needing him.