Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Tbh, this thread makes Taylor seem awful. I think he's a solid third choice cb and not worth the wages he (supposedly) wants, but he has his upside too. Pretty decent player to have going forward.

This is the way I see it.

Third choice at this point.

Not worth the (supposed) wages.

If he wants to stop being a cunt and take a cut on some wages then we can work from there otherwise say hello to Wolverhampton.

Here is a club who have admitted lying to their fans after being dragged through the courts by a former manager and have put out numerous statements about how they plan to cut costs, and people will happily believe they have offered an extremely lucrative deal to Taylor?

We know f*ck all but I'll be amazed if they are offering anything like the figures being thrown about on here and in the rags. It's just not Ashley's style to throw his money around like that. I'd be far more inclined to believe a homegrown defender who has only had one club in his career, has stayed with the club through relegation and who for all his flaws is a passionate player.

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle but it amazes me how people are happy to believe the club when it suits them. Just look at Llambias/Ashley's statements and how they've run the club since they arrived, are they the words and actions of people would throw silly money at a defender who wasn't even getting a game at the time?

I think it's unfair to judge the player's loyalty without knowing any of the facts. Espescially when you look at the shady people running the club.

Guest Tall Striker

He will probably get a decent club given he is "young", English, the England u21 captain and on the cheap. Chelsea Turnbull springs to mind.

Chelsea signed Turnbull purely to boost their number of English players to fill the quota. He was probably the cheapest they could get who wouldn't mind spending his whole career, barring the odd league cup game or dead rubber tie, on the bench.

People are writing off Campbell, but how many centre backs with big reputations have struggled for NUFC in the Premier League playing alongside Steven Taylor?

No, they were all shite and dragged Taylor down and ruined our future England captain's progression.

Here is a club who have admitted lying to their fans after being dragged through the courts by a former manager and have put out numerous statements about how they plan to cut costs, and people will happily believe they have offered an extremely lucrative deal to Taylor?

We know f*ck all but I'll be amazed if they are offering anything like the figures being thrown about on here and in the rags. It's just not Ashley's style to throw his money around like that. I'd be far more inclined to believe a homegrown defender who has only had one club in his career, has stayed with the club through relegation and who for all his flaws is a passionate player.

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle but it amazes me how people are happy to believe the club when it suits them. Just look at Llambias/Ashley's statements and how they've run the club since they arrived, are they the words and actions of people would throw silly money at a defender who wasn't even getting a game at the time?

I think it's unfair to judge the player's loyalty without knowing any of the facts. Espescially when you look at the shady people running the club.

:thup:

People are writing off Campbell, but how many centre backs with big reputations have struggled for NUFC in the Premier League playing alongside Steven Taylor?

What so playing alongside Taylor makes you forget to look at the ball, allow it to pass over your head numerous times or occasionally let the thing smack you on the back?

Defending Cambell? 

Are you insane? I am truly speechless.

We haven't had that many CBs with big reputations tbh.

Cacapa is one. He wasn't very good.

We haven't had that many CBs with big reputations tbh.

Cacapa is one. He wasn't very good.

Well he was pretty good up to that Portsmouth game to be fair, simply never recovered afterwards

What so playing alongside Taylor makes you forget to look at the ball, allow it to pass over your head numerous times or occasionally let the thing smack you on the back?

Playing alongside Taylor increases the pressure as while the Geordie Hero plays superman, the other defender is split between covering him, or doing their own responsibilities. With all that, you are likely to be caught out in defence often.

Meanwhile Taylor gets off scot free with the fans because you see him doing glamorous stuff, he never learns from his mistakes or takes responsibility for his actions. He is the first to criticise or point their finger at the other defenders

Basically he is the last remaining of the odious unpopular players that got us relegated and the sooner we get rid the better.

Playing alongside Taylor increases the pressure as while the Geordie Hero plays superman, the other defender is split between covering him, or doing their own responsibilities. With all that, you are likely to be caught out in defence often.

Meanwhile Taylor gets off scot free with the fans because you see him doing glamorous stuff, he never learns from his mistakes or takes responsibility for his actions. He is the first to criticise or point their finger at the other defenders

Basically he is the last remaining of the odious unpopular players that got us relegated and the sooner we get rid the better.

Taylor and Campbell are just both compounding each other's weaknesses at the moment. Neither of them can turn or move around very well - and they're both defending too deep and desperately because they're unfit.

Both could be good for us again, if they drop out of the team for a few weeks and sort out their fitness. Obviously they're were never intended to play as much so soon.

If we get 2m in January i will considered it something gained, out of a horrible situation.

Taylor's an average defender with a suspect attitude and certainly not worth an improved contract.

If we get 2m in January i will considered it something gained, out of a horrible situation.

Taylor's an average defender with a suspect attitude and certainly not worth an improved contract.

I sort of agree, although if we sign him on terms that the club are happy with then I wouldn't mind having him as a squad player. Still think he's a decent defender when properly fit, and can also cover RB. In theory.

Any examples of this in the last few games?  All of Campbell's mistakes have been entirely down to him.  How is heading a ball straight to a Liverpool midfielder Taylor's fault?  Or letting the ball hit his back?

What were the reasons for the shit defending against Bolton?  Taylor was nowhere to be seen and yet Coloccini and Williamson managed to make themselves look like the worst CB partnership in the league.

We've conceded two goals against Liverpool and Chelsea and three against West Brom when everyone played badly.  If Taylor is so bad don't you think we'd be conceding a few more?  It's not like Campbell has been making last ditch challenges to cover for Taylor, if anything, the chances that Liverpool did miss were mostly down to Campbell mistakes again (see the Torres one v one for example).

Colo? Jonas? Shola?

To suggest Steven Taylor playing somehow sucks the life out of his defensive partner is ridiculous man. He's proven in the games against Chelsea and Liverpool that he can comfortably fit into the team and is one of the few Premier League quality defenders we have.

Does he deserve a higher wage? Probably not. Do we know what exactly he is demanding? No. Can we afford to get rid of him for pittance in January? No.

They weren't, but I don't think your average Newcastle fan would describe Saylor as "odious and popular" (and no, not because of "Geordie hero" shite).

He's been here for ten years, so what? We've got to assess what we have now and as we can't be losing our 2nd best CB. If I believed we would reinvest and improve on Saylor in January I'd be all for it, but we won't.

Most fans would not label Taylor as odious ffs.

It's a shame he hasn't built on his early promise but that's football. If he wants away then fine, personally I think we're the biggest club he'll ever play for.

He's ridiculously heavy mind, pretty unprofessional.