Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

FFS the lad was 21 when Robson got sacked. 21!

In that time he scored 25 goals in 51 starts. Including Champions League games.

Genuinely 1 in 2 at 21.

The year by year progression under Robson was clear.

And then Souness comes and makes him play on the wing instead of Robert. With a dodgy leg.

We will never know what might have been but I personally think we lost out. Not just with Shola really but a number of younger players Robson had been developing.

He was born in 1981.

Robson was sacked in 2004.

Thats not 21 years.

Wow an extra year. 22.

Anyhow someone tell me how many players at PL clubs have scored 25 goals before their 23rd birthday.

Or scored 25 within 50 senior starts.

If anyone can tell me that any random striker could achieve it then I will change my view on the level of talent Shola really had.

What was his Premier League record like? I know he scored in those Leverkusen (who were s****) and Barca games but I bet most of those goals were beefed out playing poorer sides in Europe.

14 league goals in 89 games his four seasons before Robson was sacked. Can't be arsed to check how many were from the bench, but probably half.

Genuinely 1 in 2 at 21.

And then Souness comes and makes him play on the wing instead of Robert. With a dodgy leg.

We will never know what might have been but I personally think we lost out. Not just with Shola really but a number of younger players Robson had been developing.

He was born in 1981.

Thats not 21 years.

Wow an extra year. 22.

Anyhow someone tell me how many players at PL clubs have scored 25 goals before their 23rd birthday.

If anyone can tell me that any random striker could achieve it then I will change my view on the level of talent Shola really had.

What was his Premier League record like? I know he scored in those Leverkusen (who were s****) and Barca games but I bet most of those goals were beefed out playing poorer sides in Europe.

14 league goals in 89 games his four seasons before Robson was sacked. Can't be arsed to check how many were from the bench, but probably half.

Ive already said he only scored 2 from the bench. From 51 starts it is 23 goals if you discount the two he got from the bench.

Genuinely 1 in 2 at 21.

He was born in 1981.

Thats not 21 years.

Wow an extra year. 22.

You can only score against what you are up against.

On that basis let’s just cross out a load of goals scored by the likes of Rashford, Kane and Sturridge because their opponents weren’t worthy.

And while we are at it let’s remove Shearer of his goal records because a) inferior opposition and b) penalties.

Genuinely 1 in 2 at 21.

He was born in 1981.

Thats not 21 years.

Wow an extra year. 22.

I always remember Leverkusen as been those shit whipping boys, but they'd gotten through the first group stage, they can't have been that bad?

Because we’ve been saying rightly that Shola is shit for years, people are to be honest in complete denial of some very credible pre-injury statistics.

He was a much better young player than we give him credit for.

It is very sad how people choose to forget because it doesn’t fit an agenda.

You’ve got to be a dour bastard to have a strong dislike for Shola. The last time we were good, the lad played his part.

Nice Geordie lad.  He lived the dream.  Ultimately was never good enough but he had some great moments. Put his body on the line when needed. Provided us with some great comedy too. 

Let Wor Shola live.

Genuinely 1 in 2 at 21.

He was born in 1981.

Thats not 21 years.

Wow an extra year. 22.

You can only score against what you are up against.

On that basis let’s just cross out a load of goals scored by the likes of Rashford, Kane and Sturridge because their opponents weren’t worthy.

And while we are at it let’s remove Shearer of his goal records because a) inferior opposition and b) penalties.

https://www.newcastle-online.org/forum/index.php?topic=39460.msg809096#msg809096

With Allardyce, if a youngster is good enough, he'll get to play, but if he isn't good enough he's gone.

Thats the way it should be, we shouldn't be playing youngsters just because they come from our academy.

This dream of 11 young Geordies from our academy winning trophies is a fantasy which has been a major reason for our current demise.

i'm not trying to start an argument with you here pal but you're kind of missing the point

i was asking a question about allardyce that you've ignored - in 10 years at a club he's not really brought any youngsters through has he?  certainly not what you'd expect for that amount of time...is that what we want?

i'm not saying all of the kids should automatically play but when they have played this season by and large they've held their own despite obviously having little in the way of coaching or help from senior professionals....

the fact is that whoever takes over the club will have a good group of bairns in and around the squad and i'm asking is allardyce the man to handle that?

i'm not saying he is or isn't just asking for more than "With Allardyce, if a youngster is good enough, he'll get to play, but if he isn't good enough he's gone." 

what evidence do you have to back that up like?  how do you know he never held up the development of a bairn to bring in one of his "foreign bargains" we hear so much about?

maybe you know the ins and outs of his time at bolton, if so do tell...

Hunt and Nolan? Two players who have come through and been significantly better than any player who has come through at newcastle in the past ten years.

What players have left Bolton and gone onto greater things? - None, sure looks like Allardyce knows what he is doing. We must not also forget that we can afford to spend ten-fold more on our academy than Bolton have been able to.

Please, don't be daft.

I'm not saying that some of our current crop wont be better than Hunt in a few years time, but Hunt has made it, he is an important player in a club that has finished 5th this season.

The following players have come through the ranks since 1997:

Ameobi

S Caldwell

G Caldwell (although he has only featured at other clubs)

Chopra

Hughes

N'Zogbia

Ramage

Taylor

I'm only counting players that have regularly featured for two seasons of high level matches. Edgar, Huntington and Krul are too early to judge.

Of the above, Taylor and Zoggy are potentially going to be better than Hunt, but Hunt is currently more established and performing more consistently.

So I still stand by my claims that in ten years of Allardyce, he has done better with his young players than we have in that same period.

where did you get the comparison with NUFC for the last 10 years??!!  never been mentioned, we're a bag of s*** and mostly always have been...there was no comparison there from me

i'm saying that there are players coming through NOW regardless of who is charge...and you still stand by hunt and nolan over a 10 year period do you?  in that same 10 year period, seeing as you're making comparisons, newcastle have had 5-6 managers, hardly a recipe for long-term stability is it?

furthermore nicky hunt is better than taylor!!! i'd stand and argue that with you all day mate

We overrate our own youngsters, and then five years later, we realise how rubbish they were when we see them playing for Villa reserves in a team managed by a good manager.

We do have 3-4 players who look like they might make it,but it is up  to the manager to assess them. We cant play them just for the sake of seeing if they can fulfil potential.

You got the ten year comparison because you asked what Allardyce has produced, and that is an unfair question to ask given our own record. I think i have made it clear that assuming our academy is up to scratch, Allardyce would be better at this than Keegan, Dalglish, Gullit, Robson and Souness were, and we are not in a position in which we can magically employ this fictional manager who can win trophies and play the kids at the same time.

I can only name two recent examples for Allardyce, as I have not been minutely following Bolton over the last ten years. I can be certain though that now player has slipped the net.

Nicky Hunt and Steven Taylor are at two different stages of their development, and given that Taylor remains very tactically inexperienced, especially at set-pieces, Hunt currently edges Taylor, although I'd like to see both in a Newcastle back four next season.

I'm sure that if Allardyce had had Taylor over the past two seasons, Taylor would be in the England squad. If anyone can get performances out of our young defenders, Allardyce can, so given that Edgar, and Huntington have both had their chances, if Allardyce has seen potential in them, he'd be a very good choice of manager in order to get the best out of them.

You'll get to that stage one day.

I love Shola, he's mint.  Possibly some slight question marks over his suitability as a PL striker but he had a great chest pass on him and his escapades in the innovative fruit and bicycle combination field were ground breaking.

SholaAmeobi21.jpg

He was a very promising youngster but he didn’t really improve after 2004.  Injuries obviously played a part but i also believe it was down to his layed back attitude.  I remember watching an end of season interview with him where he was asked if he’d be watching the World Cup, he said something like, “Nah i’ll just be going on holiday and chillng out”.  You’d think a footballer with drive and ambition would want to watch the best players in the world playing in the most prestigeous competition but he just didn’t seem arsed about it at all  :lol:

Him staying at Newcastle for so long is a symbol of the lack of ambition shown in those years.  He was never really good enough to even be a back up striker but there were times when we had to rely on him as the main man, ridiculous really!  When you take that into consideration he probably did a decent job, even though he had myself and many others pulling our hair out at times.  He had some great moments though.  His goals in Europe and against the mackems are probably the highlights for me.

46 goals in 302 games in the Premier League & Champions League proper.

33 goals in 95 games in the Championship, domestic cups & other European games.

If it wasn't for the fact he stunk up the Premier League nearly 250 times then maybe I'd feel more fondly given that's the bread and butter of where we saw him most often.

Imagine being thick enough to try and talk up Shola.

Imagine being churlish enough to want to have a go at Shola.

I wasn't. He was crap, but he tried hard and much like many of the crap players who played 100+ games for us in the last ten or so years (Williamson, Ryan Taylor, Gouffran, Colback etc) his presence on the teamsheet was merely a symbol of the club's complete lack of ambition.

Andreas Andersson had a similar Premier League goal ratio and had relative success on the international stage. He used to graft his bollocks off (well run around like a headless chicken but ran about a lot which gets brownie points for local players).

Rename him Andy Anderson from Ashington, give him a cool nickname like the "Top Ground Slayer" since he scored at Old Trafford, Anfield and Stamford Bridge...and now consider having him at the club for another fucking 12 years. Would people like him at 28 when he was still shit and go, "Aye, but remember that potential when he scored those goals when we were poor at the top clubs?"

It's ridiculous.

Likeable yes, but extremely frustrating to watch most of the time. This retrospective love-in is a bit weird as he is undoubtedly the source of most of the hate directed at a player on this board.

He's a nice chap, but people on here were celebrating when he finally left.

I don’t get the point of using 2007 posts or whole career stats to argue the point that he was shit before 2004. Clearly a lot happened as has been mentioned on here between 2004 and 2007 that destroyed any potential.

I guess we were all keen to see the back of him by the end that we are prepared to forget what he did contribute especially in his early years.

His progress, scoring 23 goals in the 51 starts he made for Robson, 14 of those in the PL show he was clearly better than Mitrovic at that comparable point.

We are happy to defend more recent players and mitigate it for them that they have been Pardewed.

Why can we not admit that Shola was Sounessed.

• 2 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43739758

Meanwhile, County's former Newcastle United striker Shola Ameobi says he is considering retiring and will make a decision at the end of the season.

The 36-year Nigeria international joined County in February 2017 and has made 50 appearances, scoring nine goals.

Nolan said Ameobi would be offered a job on the coaching staff if he quits playing.

Ameobi told BBC Radio Nottingham: "It's a tough one. My mind wants to [continue], but I have always said I will take stock at the end of every season and give myself a couple of weeks to mull it over and see if I am good to go."