Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

Guest Howaythetoon

there is something wrong with you if you actually hate Shola or even dislike him. Don’t rate him, fair enough, but to hate or not like the man is well almost blasphemy.

To be fair it's like Sunday League kids footy, there was a kid in our team who was shite, utter shite. Every time the ball went near him you knew what was going to happen, and you started hating him for it, you also started hating his parents, grandparents, siblings, all because of a useless little cross eyed bowlegged 9 year old.

Bit harsh really i guess.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think Shola had talent, real talent and was a prospect when younger, but a number of factors prevented him fulfilling that.

Namely:

Shearer lasting so long

Club always going to want a name to replace him or a big money signing (Owen/Martins)

Injuries

His game not quite suited to the game Sir Bobby had us playing

Succession of shite managers

Pressure from crowd

Pressure to play players of pedigree/sign players of pedigree (back to Owen, Martins, then Viduka etc.)

Sadly for players even of talent, unless you have Rooney/Kane levels of ability or are at a lower league club or a club that can afford to blood youngster, it’s gonna be tough to forge a top career especially as a striker.

Imagine Sir Bobby said Shola will be Shearer’s replacement and started playing him instead of Shearer towards the end? The gas would t have had it, the chairman wouldn’t have and our ambitions at the time demanded we go for proven players. Kluivert for example.

Anyway I love the fella!

Guest Howaythetoon

Too right people wouldn't have accepted replacing Shearer with Ameobi. He was in no way capable of doing that.

He wasn’t, but he was capable of scoring goals and doing a good job in the way Smith did at Leeds. But as a club at that time, replacing Shearer with Ameobi would have been unnaceptable and rightly so. My point, as a talented young CF at NUFC back then, his chances of forging a really good career was slim indeed. Ironically today, I’d think he’d stand more of a chance given our transfer strategy and Rafa’s tactical acumen and coaching.

KK had Ameobi sussed, never good enough, no even as a back up.

I’ll look back on his time fondly, well, rather his highlights not that period in our history. I think he will go on to manage us one day and be a decent manager.

I think Shola had talent, real talent and was a prospect when younger, but a number of factors prevented him fulfilling that.

Namely:

Shearer lasting so long

Club always going to want a name to replace him or a big money signing (Owen/Martins)

Injuries

His game not quite suited to the game Sir Bobby had us playing

Succession of shite managers

Pressure from crowd

Pressure to play players of pedigree/sign players of pedigree (back to Owen, Martins, then Viduka etc.)

Sadly for players even of talent, unless you have Rooney/Kane levels of ability or are at a lower league club or a club that can afford to blood youngster, it’s gonna be tough to forge a top career especially as a striker.

Imagine Sir Bobby said Shola will be Shearer’s replacement and started playing him instead of Shearer towards the end? The gas would t have had it, the chairman wouldn’t have and our ambitions at the time demanded we go for proven players. Kluivert for example.

Anyway I love the fella!

Next you'll be bringing up some hip injury that hindered him for sooooooooo many years.

• 1 month later...

http://www.nufc.com/

Sho stopper?

Following their failure to reach the League Two playoff finals, a squad cull at Notts County by manager Kevin Nolan has resulted in 11 departures, including fellow old boys Shola Ameobi and Alan Smith.

35 year-old Nolan has made the decision to axe 36 year-old Ameobi and 37 year-old Smith, in addition to former Newcastle reserve goalkeeper Adam Collin.

I thought Smith was a coach ?

Player-coach apparently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44216750

Notts County: Shola Ameobi and Alan Smith leave League Two club

Ex-Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi and ex-England forward Alan Smith head a list of 11 players released by League Two side Notts County.

Fellow forward Jonathan Forte, 31, has also been allowed to leave, as has goalkeeper Adam Collin, 33.

But 27-year-old defender Matt Tootle, has signed a two-year deal and forward Jon Stead, 35, a new one-year contract.

"These decisions are some of the hardest, if not the hardest, we make," boss Kevin Nolan told the club website.

"I would like to put on record my thanks to all of the players who are moving on and wish them all the best for their future.

"I can't thank the lads enough for their committed efforts in my first full season here."

Pierce Bird, Richard Duffy, Ross Fitzsimons, Dan Jones, Michael O'Connor and Branislav Pindroch have all been offered new terms.

Released: Shola Ameobi, Adam Collin, Carl Dickinson, Mike Edwards, Jonathan Forte, Elliot Hodge, Nicky Hunt, Rob Milsom, Callum Saunders, Alan Smith, Curtis Thompson

Found my Ameobi top kicking about in the back of my cupboard yesterday. His name and number are still flawless on the back but the front now reads "No the    Rock".

Found my Ameobi top kicking about in the back of my cupboard yesterday. His name and number are still flawless on the back but the front now reads "No the    Rock".

No the Rock, Ameobi.

Works [emoji38]

7 goals for NUFC against SAFC, 2nd highest behind Jackie Milburn.

12 goals for NUFC in Europe, 2nd highest behind Alan Shearer.

142 substitute appearances in Premier League history, 2nd highest behind Peter Crouch.

7 international goals representing England (U21) and 2 representing Nigeria.

Over 400 appearances, 5 leagues.

That’s what it’s all about. Ooohhhh, Shola Amoebi!

Time to put your whole self out, bonny lad. Kick back for well deserved rest.

Top man. :thup: