Strongest Eleven

Guest BooBoo

Sels

Anita - Lascelles - Mbemba - Clark

Ritchie - Shelvey - Hayden - Ayoze

Mitrovic - Gayle

But I suspect Diame will play instead of 2 strikers and the new FBs will slowly edge out Vurn and whoever plays LB.

Sels

Yedlin/Gamez

Lascelles

Mbemba

Lazaar

Hayden

Diame

Richie

Perez/Gayle

Atsu

Mitrovic

Gayle is the difficult one to fit in. He's obviously scoring goals but I much prefer having a real target man up front like Mitrovic.

Sels

Anita* Lascelles Mbemba Dummett*

Hayden    Diame

Ritchie            Gayle                Atsu

Mitrovic

* I haven't seen much of Yedlin or Lazaar to judge them, it wouldn't take much to become to be ahead of both Dummett and Anita

Darlow

Yedlin    Clark      Hanley    Lazaar

Colback  Shelvey

Aarons            Perez            Gouffran

Murphy

Sels

Anita

Mbemba

Lascelles

Lazaar

Ritchie

Hayden

Shelvey

Perez

Diamé

Gayle

Gone for Vurn at right back purely because I haven't seen much of Gamez or Yedlin. I haven't seen anything of Lazaar other than highlights but he can't possibly be worse at LB than Dummett.

How can some be putting Lazaar,Yedlin etc

Don't know the best 11 until we have at least 10 games behind them

Personally chose Lazaar because I can't stand Dummett as a full back. If I'm not allowed Lazaar i'll have Massadio instead.

Guest reefatoon

Sound like McClaren there. Judge me after 10 games and if they are still shit, then just judge me for more.

I'm going with the round pegs in round holes approach:

Sels

Yedlin        Mbemba          Lascelles  Lazaar

Hayden  Shelvey

Ritchie                                          Atsu

Gayle  Mitro

In this division we should be playing with two strikers most of the time, no need for a number 10. I would like to get Diame in there too but in order to do that would mean we would have to revert to a 1 striker formation, swap Shelvey out for him or put a square peg in a round hole.

The truth is (and this has been already clearly identified by Rafa), is that we need a fair amount of squad rotation considering the number of game we have, we'll also need to mix up the formations a bit. I think the current squad offers us the ability to do that.

Harper

Simpson Saylor Colo Enrique

Barton Tiote Gosling

Ireland  BenArfa

Shola

Just clicked "new" and saw this.  :lol:  We were so bad.

Sound like McClaren there. Judge me after 10 games and if they are still shit, then just judge me for more.

Already deciding lazaar,yedlin,Atsu etc is our strongest best 11 before seeing them play makes total sense.👍

Might be total shit. Not even seen enough of Gamez, who could be brilliant.

Murphy might end up being our best player,

For fucks sake Elliott was our best player last season, and nobody has him in?

Sels? So far looked average.

I think we'll see lots of rotation in the front four.

The back four will be settled enough eventually and I reckon Hayden will start whenever he's fit with Shelvey, Colback and Anita fighting to partner him. Reckon Rafa wants Shelvey there as he's easily the best player of the three, but he seems the type who'll get lazy if he's gauranteed a starting place. Does seem like Rafa will play with two holding midfielders, especially now that we've signed a couple of attack minded full backs. I don't think Diame will be considered as a possible CM for that reason, he'll play as an AM or not at all I'd guess.

After that we'll see lots of chopping and changing between Mitro, Gayle, Perez, Diame, Ritchie and Atsu. Lots of ways we can line up any combination of those four. Gayle and Mitro as a front two is something we might see a bit of, or Rafa can go with just one of them leading the line. Ritchie and Atsu can both play either side, I think Ritchie pretty much has the RW spot nailed down though and Atsu will be his backup there while also getting games on the left.

The interesting thing for me is how we'll use Gayle and Perez. With a real attacking left fullback now on board I think Perez as a left sided inside forward might be the best option for him. I can see Gayle being played there too. Don't know why but I really think Mitro will start up top whenever he's fit and Gayle will end up playing either just off him or out on the left. Obviously he's shown so far this year that he can play up top alone and score goals but I do think the team would look better with a more typical target man type up there.

All in all though I'm happy with us mixing and matching from those six. Murphy I believe is purely a Mitro backup. Gouffran I doubt gets many games either but he's not awful as a backup player. Aarons if he ever gets fit will probably get plenty of appearances of the bench but I doubt he starts many games unless we get badly hit with injuries.

Feel good about the squad going forward, looking forward to seeing how Rafa manages it.

Sels

Gamez    Mbemba  Lascelles    Lazaar

Ritchie    Hayden    Diame      Atsu

Mitrovic    Gayle

......no space for Perez, Shelvey, Anita or Yedlin.       

Elliot was in the former of his life last season, but coming back from a serious knee injury at 30 I think he'll get limited games this season.

I can't decide who to leave out of Shelvey Hayden Diame Gayle and Mitro. Not sure of fullbacks or left wing so I'd probably say:

Home

Sels

Anita Lascelles Mbemba Lazaar

Ritchie Shelvey Hayden Aarons/Perez

Gayle Mitrovic

Away

Sels

Anita Lascelles Mbemba Dummett

Hayden

Ritchie Shelvey Diame Perez/Aarons

Gayle