Newcastle United 0 - 2 Blackpool - 11/9/10 - post match reaction from page 20

JH

We have a few options, certainly better than the alternative.

The only options I could see being used are Lovenkrands, Shola and Best (when fit) and I don't think they'll give us and more than playing 5 in midfield with one of the five playing off Carroll.

Just watched the MOTD highlights and from that i can't understand the anger on here.

We basically would have won this with one percent more luck, their goalie had the game of his life tbf

their goalie never made one save you wouldn't expect any pro keeper to save, everything was well within reach.

I think it was a mixture of good keeping (its churlish not to give the lad some credit just because we're too focussed on basing our own players), poor finishing and bad luck. Versus Villa, the ball fell to us very nicely and we had the rub of the green. Yesterday was the flip side. I do agree with the notion that usually you make your own luck, but nowt went our way yesterday.

I think it was a mixture of good keeping (its churlish not to give the lad some credit just because we're too focussed on basing our own players), poor finishing and bad luck. Versus Villa, the ball fell to us very nicely and we had the rub of the green. Yesterday was the flip side. I do agree with the notion that usually you make your own luck, but nowt went our way yesterday.

not knocking the lad but i'll bet at the end iof the season none of yesterdays saves will be in his personal top ten. had harper let in any of those he'd have been blamed.

not knocking the lad but i'll bet at the end iof the season none of yesterdays saves will be in his personal top ten. had harper let in any of those he'd have been blamed.

The one from Barton was class like, the rest you'd be annoyed if he let in. Always going to happen after he was featured on FF pre-match.

Incidentally Blackpool have bagged two away wins already. I wonder how long it will be till we are able to say that? 2011 I'm guessing.

They're playing the way a lot of promoted teams do when they first come up - without fear. Hull did it brilliantly when they came up and more or less had the points that kept them up by the end of November. These teams just go out and enjoy themselves, carrying their momentum from the play-offs with them and, importantly, initially play the same way they do at home when they go away.

We will of course go away from home and play like frightened kittens. I hate the whole attitude to home and away games, it's become accepted now that teams can cower in their shells away from home. Yes, there is a difference but it's mainly psychological therefore deliberately going out with a different attitude is shooting yourself in the foot before you've even started, you should actually be trying to approach the game in the same way mentally.

At the end of the day, it's still 22 blokes kicking a ball round a field, the way folk go on you'd think they play different rules depending on whether you're in Newcastle or Wigan.

in almost every sport that is played home and away the vast majority of teams have better home records than away and numerous studies have been done into it.

I know but the difference is clearly psychological. The job of the manager should be to try and negate the psychological impact and imo deliberately intending to go into the match with a different attitude is doing the opposite.

Except we haven't really done that, having kept the same team and formation home and away.

I disagree. :thup:

Which bit do you disagree with or was it all of the post?

We could also use Ranger but won't (I assume thats why you missed him out) and I think 2 up front will work better than Carroll on his own with Nolan floating around doing nothing 15 yards away from him.

All depends where he intends to play Ben Arfa I suppose.

Guest localhero87

Incidentally Blackpool have bagged two away wins already. I wonder how long it will be till we are able to say that? 2011 I'm guessing.

They're playing the way a lot of promoted teams do when they first come up - without fear. Hull did it brilliantly when they came up and more or less had the points that kept them up by the end of November. These teams just go out and enjoy themselves, carrying their momentum from the play-offs with them and, importantly, initially play the same way they do at home when they go away.

We will of course go away from home and play like frightened kittens. I hate the whole attitude to home and away games, it's become accepted now that teams can cower in their shells away from home. Yes, there is a difference but it's mainly psychological therefore deliberately going out with a different attitude is shooting yourself in the foot before you've even started, you should actually be trying to approach the game in the same way mentally.

At the end of the day, it's still 22 blokes kicking a ball round a field, the way folk go on you'd think they play different rules depending on whether you're in Newcastle or Wigan.

in almost every sport that is played home and away the vast majority of teams have better home records than away and numerous studies have been done into it.

I know but the difference is clearly psychological. The job of the manager should be to try and negate the psychological impact and imo deliberately intending to go into the match with a different attitude is doing the opposite.

Except we haven't really done that, having kept the same team and formation home and away.

Same formation yes, but different mentality. For example, we never played with the same ambitious-almost-verging-upon-silly high defensive line at Wolves as we did at home vs Villa. We did it vs Blackpool also but that partly led to their second goal as we chased an equaliser.

Just watched the Match of the Day from yesterday and I can't believe that we didn't score. One out of Carroll, Barton and Nolan should have scored and with a little luck Williamsons header would have gone in. Ah well, fancy us getting a draw against Everton. It's either that or a massive beating but I think and hope Hughton make a couple of changes..

Just watched the Match of the Day from yesterday and I can't believe that we didn't score. One out of Carroll, Barton and Nolan should have scored and with a little luck Williamsons header would have gone in. Ah well, fancy us getting a draw against Everton. It's either that or a massive beating but I think and hope Hughton make a couple of changes..

It's only a draw or a massive beating?  I think a narrow defeat is infinitely more likely

Guest localhero87

Luckily for us Everton have started poorly, and despite their good comeback against Man Ud at the weekend the fact remains they still havent got a win so far. Hopefully we can catch them before they hit full stride and nick something.

After all, I'm sure our players will be at pains to right the wrongs of this Blackpool defeat.

It's only a draw or a massive beating?  I think a narrow defeat is infinitely more likely

That's just my gut feeling and needless to say it's usually wrong :D

Just logging on for the first time since the game...

Basically we were pretty unlucky to lose. Just a mental challenge by Smith and some brilliant saves by the keeper decided it. It's very disappointing to lose to blackpool but the result doesn't tell the whole story.

On another day we would have come away with a win. Hopefully we can drop Nolan for Ben Arfa and Smith for Tiote as soon as possible.

Tough game next but this season is going to be full of peaks and troughs... the key is to not let either affect us too much and keep working together for results.

Must admit, I dont think Gilks had a stormer.

4 Stand out opportunities which, you absolutely have to put away. Nolan Clean through hit it straight at him, Carroll clean through, took far far too much time, Barton clean through 5 yards out and virtually passed it to him and Carroll's chance, should have struck it earlier and either side of him.

Definitely opportunities missed through dire finishing rather than denied through good keeping.

Must admit, I dont think Gilks had a stormer.

4 Stand out opportunities which, you absolutely have to put away. Nolan Clean through hit it straight at him, Carroll clean through, took far far too much time, Barton clean through 5 yards out and virtually passed it to him and Carroll's chance, should have struck it earlier and either side of him.

Definitely opportunities missed through dire finishing rather than denied through good keeping.

Can't believe the fuss being made over his goalkeeping display, not that the lad didn't have a good game but like madras said, if a Premiership keeper concedes any of them, other than maybe Carroll's at the end (and he should have made sure by putting it away from the keeper, Alan Shearer wouldn't have given the keeper a cat in hell's chance for example), they would be criticised.

Best save of the day was Harper's double save.

I think we'll probably pay a few times this season for having one PL standard striker. It's embarrassing that Lovenkrands is still involved. No other PL squad would go near such a horribly limited player.

Still would rather have Lovenkrands than Shola at least he has something to offer. Although limited as it is, better than two left feet.