Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

How far do you think we could go with them? Barton's the only one at a push I could see in a top 6 side.

At the risk of repeating myself, it's not about that.

Just because you bring in a better player, doesn't mean there is a need to get rid of Nolan. Especially with two years of his contract still to go. It just doesn't make sense.

So it's worth keeping a player on approx £40k a week, who'd play what, 12-15 games a season hopefully, just because he's good to have around the place?

And I said that where exactly? I keep forgetting he wasn't the highest scoring English midfielder in the Premier League last term.

Strength in depth man.

So why keep an aging player who's not going to be first-choice when he's on big wages if it's not what you were meaning?

Because he's clearly a decent goalscorer, he can nick you a goal and he's an infuence on the side. We don't know what wages he's on either, it's pure speculation.

I fancy him to come off the bench and grab a goal over Barton/Guthrie/Gosling and Smith any day of the week.

Craig Gardner would be a massive upgrade on Nolan.

Craig Gardner would be no more than a sideways step in terms of ability.

He has more to his game than Nolan, also is fairly young.

Nolan is hardly old at 28

looks like he's 35 and plays like a 40 year old though. Imagine that in 2 years time?

how many 40 year old midfielders do you know of who have scored 12 goals in the premier league?

Was just about to post the same.

How far do you think we could go with them? Barton's the only one at a push I could see in a top 6 side.

At the risk of repeating myself, it's not about that.

Just because you bring in a better player, doesn't mean there is a need to get rid of Nolan. Especially with two years of his contract still to go. It just doesn't make sense.

So it's worth keeping a player on approx £40k a week, who'd play what, 12-15 games a season hopefully, just because he's good to have around the place?

And I said that where exactly? I keep forgetting he wasn't the highest scoring English midfielder in the Premier League last term.

Strength in depth man.

So why keep an aging player who's not going to be first-choice when he's on big wages if it's not what you were meaning?

Because he's clearly a decent goalscorer, he can nick you a goal and he's an infuence on the side. We don't know what wages he's on either, it's pure speculation.

I fancy him to come off the bench and grab a goal over Barton/Guthrie/Gosling and Smith any day of the week.

Sorry, added this bit afterwards.

And as for the 12 goals thing, that was brilliant but I doubt he'd have repeated that again. At a similar age Don Hutchison was banging them in from a similar role for a season at the Mackems, don't think he did anything after that (ironically his career started to go downhill after a move to West Ham not long after that I believe)

Guest Wally_McFool

Strength in depth man.

Something that Fatso and Dastardly Derek fail to comprehend.

Realistically, it would be difficult for him to continue to be the main man in the dressing room if he's not in the first team.

Ashley showed with Hughton that he has a ruthless streak. If it leads to success, we won't be complaining.

All things in consideration I'm sad to loose him after all he's done for the club but I'd be very worried if he was still a regular in a years time. Decent move for all tbh, club gets some money, Nolan gets the contract he wants and leaves on a high.

For the extortionate price and his contract demands, I can understand letting Carroll go. For his unsettled-ness and wanting to playing CL football, I can understand letting Enrique go. Hell, I can even come to understand letting Barton go.

But this, I see no logic in this whatsoever at this precise moment. Not with two years left on his contract, no way.

What if Nolan has realized he has been replaced/wont get as much game time but feels he can still do a job somewhere as a first team player so he asked to leave?

It's not unrealistic, especially given the contract situation.

paulfraserecho Paul Fraser

#nufc ready for more crazy shenanigans. Top scoring skipper Kevin Nolan set for date at #westham for medical. Pardew wanted to keep him!

Hmm....

I've said it before and I say it again - I can see Pardew resigning during/after the transfer window.

Of course this is a very big job for him but, he's thrown his hat back into the ring now and is recognised as a PL manager again and probably would get a job at another club now.

Strength in depth man.

Cabaye, Tiote, Gosling, Guthrie, Barton & Ben Arfa as it stands. Wafer thin tbh.

One haven't played a minute, another has played three, a third has played a couple of matches before he broke his leg. Guthrie. And Barton who's become more of a right sided midfielder. Howay then.

Strength in depth man.

Cabaye, Tiote, Gosling, Guthrie, Barton & Ben Arfaas it stands. Wafer thin tbh.

One haven't played a minute, another has played three, a third has played a couple of matches before he broke his leg. Guthrie. And Barton who's become more of a right sided midfielder. Howay then.

I'm not bothered about this as long as we get in forwards to score goals and we have a more athletic replacement in midfield.  I'm more concerned about what this transfer says about the club than actually losing the player.