Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Guest tollemache

Looking at it again, that obviously was an appearance for Argentina v Belarus, and it's interesting to note that he was moved from one side to the other in order to fulfill a defensive role - he's the grafter who was there to stop Omelyanchuk, their big threat from midfield. Not only is he a carrilero, he's a defensively-minded one, which is why it's probably lovely to play fullback behind him, because he'll track anyone anywhere. The guy on the other side in that game, now that I've looked it up, was Lucho Gonzalez, who is not afraid of a bit of graft himself. They probably wanted him free from following Omelyanchuk though, as he's a different class going forward, so to be fair it might not all have been about Jonas' defensive prowess.

seems to me that he might've done too much work in the gym and burnt himself out or something. Unbelievable how slow he is now compared to his first year at the club. His debut vs Man Utd makes for sad viewing.

Losing all respect for Pardew. No excuse for starting this joker.

This. Haven't been joining in with the Pardew out lot, but not seeing Jonas as a massive weakness is starting to annoy me.

His crossing was his only saving grace.

This. Haven't been joining in with the Pardew out lot, but not seeing Jonas as a massive weakness is starting to annoy me.

He had two good crosses all game.

It's been said enough to be a signature, but Guti needs a spell out of the team to Recharge and assess himself. Problem is we don't have anyone to replace him right now. Marveaux might offer more coming forward but he is a complete liability coming back. He has no intention of tracking back or even busting a gut to get into the box. I like him but he is a luxury player that I could see pardew cashing in on.

Guest tollemache

Never thought I'd hear anyone say that about him

Oh Jonas, what has happened to you? :sad:

Whilst today was one of his better games this season, he's simply not the same player from last season. He's losing the ball a lot more this season - ball retention was meant to be one of his assets but he's losing that ability and he's regressing at quite an alarming rate. What a shame.