Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Unfair dismal? Didn't his contract expire and we didn't renew?

Club basically didn't play him in order for the trigger not to happen

Surprised he actually has a case honestly.

He was still paid a weekly wage in accordance to his contract.

An option in a contract is surely an "option"  and nothing more.

I think had it been based solely on his perceived inability to get back into the squad due to poor quality / fitness then you'd be right. However, the history of events suggest it was a pre-determined decision as soon as he got cancer, and therefore a debate of discrimination in the workplace rather than unfair dismissal. Could be wrong like?

"During my chemotherapy treatment, neither the manager, Alan Pardew, nor any club directors contacted me to see how I was feeling or to congratulate me on my recovery," he said.

"This was incredibly disappointing after everything I had done for the club."

Enough said. Complete utter c***s.

cant believe how shit that actually is

"During my chemotherapy treatment, neither the manager, Alan Pardew, nor any club directors contacted me to see how I was feeling or to congratulate me on my recovery," he said.

cant believe how shit that actually is

Never a world beater but he did some important things for us and was just a genuinely nice guy, our bunch of contemptuous cunts don't even have the heart to ask him if he's OK. I don't even treat people at work I don't like very much like that, as a boss/employer you need to show some kind of empathy or what message does it send to everyone else?

This clearly tipifies where our deep rooted "don't give a shit" attitude stems from. So much healing needs done on this club man, better get Hoddle in ffs.

Union Berlin extend contract of cancer sufferer Benjamin Köhler

The second division German club Union Berlin have extended the contract of Benjamin Köhler by a year after he was diagnosed with a rare type of stomach cancer.

“I’m going to fight it,” said Köhler. “It’s a massive blow for my family and I – first I’ve got to process it, but then I’m going to fight it with everything I’ve got. We’ll be seeing each other again for sure.”

The Berlin club, known for their independent spirit and fan loyalty, said the contract of the 34-year-old midfielder, running out at the end of the season, had been extended by a year to 2016 after he was informed of the diagnosis.

The former Germany youth international was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma – an uncommon form of cancer – earlier this week when doctors found a malignant tumour in his stomach. “Benny is and remains an important part of our team,” said the manager, Norbert Düwel, in a statement. “His illness came as a shock for all of us. But we are all certain that Benny will again wear the Union shirt. He is a fighter on and off the pitch.”

Union have long carved out a reputation as a non-mainstream club and during the existence of East Germany stayed in the shadows of Dynamo Berlin, who were back by the hated secret police, the Stasi.

Union and their fans are known for their loyalty, having organised blood donations in the past to help save the club. The club have also given fans the chance to own part of the stadium, by issuing 10,000 shares at €500 each in 2011, while hundreds helped rebuild the stadium two years earlier, working in daily shifts as volunteers.

Köhler joined Union in 2013 and has played 49 games, scoring six goals.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/06/union-berlin-extend-contract-cancer-stricken-player

Compare and contrast folks.

I know he is a s*** manager but I wouldn't rule out Carver speaking in Jonas favour.

That wouldn't surprise me either.

Nah... He'd phone Raylor and ask him to do it on his behalf.

Confirms Pardew to be the regime stooge we all knew he was.

This will only prove what we already know - our club are cunts.

Feel sorry for him, decent guy treated poorly.

But all this case will do is take money out of the club's purse, Ashley wont let it come out of his. I like Gutierrez, but I think I'd rather spend £2m on a player in the summer than compensate an already insanely wealthy man.

He was poorly handled by the club but I hope loses his case. There are plenty of players frozen out and we have done it to others as well, we'd loaned him to Norwich which was a fairly clear indication that he wasn't wanted.

His goal against West Ham is how I want to remember him not as someone taking a punt on getting money out of the club. If he wins and donates the money to cancer research I'll gladly cheer him on.

I'd far rather he got the money regardless of what he does with it.

It's not his fault we're likely to fuck up a multi-million pound Sky deal.

£2million is fuck all to NUFC and furthermore Mike Ashley.

Guest firetotheworks

He was also shoehorned into nigh on every game much to everyone's dismay and then dropped and loaned out after his diagnosis. I've said this a million times, but they got in that PR bloke and broke the news of his cancer (despite already knowing much earlier) and had players wearing shirts in support of him in an attempt to deflect attention away from the protest against Pardew vs Hull. They used a man who they shunned's cancer as a tactical move when it suited them and their lowly agenda, before Jonas himself outed the truth about them knowing and casting him aside until they could use it for their own advantage. It doesn't get mentioned that often in the list of things they've done, but it's up there as the most heinous to me. Absolutely revolting pigs, the lot of them, Pardew included.

He was also shoehorned into nigh on every game much to everyone's dismay and then dropped and loaned out after his diagnosis. I've said this a million times, but they got in that PR bloke and broke the news of his cancer (despite already knowing much earlier) and had players wearing shirts in support of him in an attempt to deflect attention away from the protest against Pardew vs Hull. They used a man who they shunned's cancer as a tactical move when it suited them and their lowly agenda, before Jonas himself outed the truth about them knowing and casting him aside until they could use it for their own advantage. It doesn't get mentioned that often in the list of things they've done, but it's up there as the most heinous to me. Absolutely revolting pigs, the lot of them, Pardew included.

Absolutely this :thup:

:thup:

Didn't we avoid triggering his contract extension simply because he wasn't actually very good? Hard to ague against that evidence tbh.

If that was the case why did we put him back in for the last few games when we knew we couldn't trigger it?

Guest Roger Kint

Club lawyers accusing him of only being in it for the money? Such a classless bunch of wankers associated with this club :(

He started the first game where he was subbed before half-time, then made a substitute appearance in October. That was it in 4 months he was here that season? ???

Whatever anyone thought of his playing ability, he was pretty much a regular in the team/squad until he was diagnosed with cancer - it wasn't as if he had become a peripheral player before then.  Would the club have stopped playing him and tried to push him out at the same point had he not been diagnosed with cancer - it is debatable.

I remember a game away to Cardiff which was his last game before he went back to Argentina for treatment, where we were hanging on to a lead and he came on as a late substitute and help shore up the defence.  He would definitely have been effective in that role.

What isn't debatable is that the club used his illness for PR purposes when it suited them.

I have no doubt that the club acted callously and exploited his illness but it is quite common for clubs to have clauses in players contracts where an extension kicks in if they play x number of games and for clubs not to play players when they don't want to give them that extension.  I have recently heard of one or two players who are currently in that position - just can't think who they are the moment.

Morally it stinks but I am not sure where he stands legally although his representatives must think he has a case.

More disgusting behaviour by what has become a mostly disgusting club. Irrespective of your thoughts about Jonas the player, Jonas the man has always been a credit to the club and city and a terrific guy to boot. What appears to be a lack of concern from the medical staff and what was certainly an incredibly callous initial response to his diagnosis shows this regime to be the heartless bastards we all know too well. The ham-fisted PR far too late in the game made the reality of their failings all too clear.

We wonder why players stagnate here. Why would you want to play for people who treat your teammates like this? Why would you have pride in this sort of thing? Not only do we fail to show even a shred of ambition, we are cold and uncaring in the face of cancer. Of course players don't play to their standards when experiencing a work environment like that. No one would.